• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Howdy -- Another new guy checkin' in

Lokster

After reading a variety of threads on this site for awhile and doing some research outside of the forum I can say that OC'ing makes a lot of sense to me. Since I live and work in Denver I won't be able to OC too much. From what I've gathered it doesn't seem like there are many OC'ers around the metro area. I've not once seen anyone outside of LE OC'ing since I moved out here in 2003 and I've lived in a handful of places outside the city and county. Once I get a decent holster it's OC for me.

ZackL

Welcome to the forum. It is definitely more common to see someone OCing in El Paso county, but there are quite a few people who OC in the Denver metro area... I always carry when I head up north. I frequently go to Arvada, Westminster, Brighton, Aurora and occasionally Lakewood.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and hopefully you'll be able to join us at a meet sometime.

Lokster

Thanks for the welcome ZackL.

New Blackhawk holster is on the way!

Luckily I don't live downtown, because I have a feeling I'll be slightly changing some routines and limiting my time spent inside the city and county limits so I can avoid CC requirements.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

You can't OC in Denver County. You can anywhere else in the state. I OC'd my full sized SIG 1911 at Goodyear yesterday when picking up the Vette after an alignment. Full of people, only comment was "that is a beautiful gun. What kind is it?" Typical of COS and El Paso County. Welcome to the forum!

since9

Campaign Veteran
So let me get this straight... I can't OC in Denver?;)

Thanks for the warning everyone!!

I think clarification is required...

Denver county prohibits OC, as does the city of Denver. Since Denver city is completely contained in Denver county, it's enough to know when you're in or out of Denver county.

The "Denver Metro Area" is another matter, as that includes Denver county, as well as several other counties.

Thus, if you hear of someone OCing in Denver Metro, they're probably not referring to Denver county!

Still, it's enough to know that you can't OC in Denver county. Elsewhere in the Denver metropolitan area is fine, as is pretty much everywhere else in Colorado.

ZackL

I differentiate the two so as to include the Denver park areas that aren't in the city (and therefore the uninterrupted county) as OC is banned there as well.

Dynamite Rabbit

Maximo

Backpacker With a Question

Hello all,

I'm planning on doing some backpacking in Colorado next spring. I do have a concealed carry permit with reciprocity in CO, but can anyone tell me if it's ok to open carry in Lost Creek Wilderness? I'd like to have a little extra protection just in case we run into any bear trouble.

Thanks.

since9

Campaign Veteran
If you read their regulations, they ban ALL firearms. http://denvergov.org/Portals/626/documents/DPR_generalParkRules.pdf

Yes, as per: "15. Prohibited activities/items: include, but are not limited to, aircraft, air castles, carnivals, climbing walls, dunk tanks, fireworks, golf (except on designated golf courses), horseback riding, hot air balloons, inflatable games, model boats/airplanes, moon walks, petting zoos, pony rides and search lights. Weapons, including but not limited to such items such as knives, firearms, bows and arrows, martial art weapons, are prohibited."

However, as per Colorado Revised Statutes, 18-12-214 Authority Granted by Permit - Carrying Restrictions:

"(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2."

If you'll read through the section to which I've linked above, you'll discover they are prohibited by State law from banning concealed carry in a park. State trumps local ordinance.

They can ban open carry in a park, but this information must be legibly posted at entrances to the park.

Last edited:

ooghost1oo

I think clarification is required...

Denver county prohibits OC, as does the city of Denver. Since Denver city is completely contained in Denver county, it's enough to know when you're in or out of Denver county.

The "Denver Metro Area" is another matter, as that includes Denver county, as well as several other counties.

Thus, if you hear of someone OCing in Denver Metro, they're probably not referring to Denver county!

Still, it's enough to know that you can't OC in Denver county. Elsewhere in the Denver metropolitan area is fine, as is pretty much everywhere else in Colorado.

I think further clarification is required:

... wait for it ...

;)