• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting in Alabama- more trouble than it's worth?

Daddyo

imported post

Got a wild hare to go hunt up some bunnies on the local WMA. If nothing else, I figured it was just a good excuse to get out of the house. Then I got to trying to figure out what the rules were.

This makes the carry laws seem clear cut! The words license and permit are tossed about like sprinkles on an ice cream cone. Hunting license, season permit, WMA permit, signed map, landowner permit. I can't figure it out.

Screw it. I just had a craving for some rabbit chops.

It's like I've always said. If you didn't grow up hunting, it's impossible to start.

Cricket

imported post

Well i hunt the diffrent wma's all the time all over the state and what you need is a Hunting license, with the wma on your Hunting license which costs a extra 16 bucks, then you will need a permit (map&regulations) of the wma your gonna hunt which is free and you can also get on outdoor alabama and print it and all you gotta do is sign and date it, thats all you will need to hunt on the wma, now if your hunting somebody else's land you will need a signed permit from the landowner for this years hunting season since alabama is a "permit" state which you can also find and print on outdoor alabama or just write up your own, hope this helps you out

www.outdooralabama.com

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

steveman01 wrote:
I felt the same way... I just stick to private property so that all that junk dont apply.
Ya'll got hog up there? I've never hunted hog down here because it's all gone elitist with guides and trophy fees and sundry loads of sissy bullsh!t like that.

He's right, it's damn hard to start hunting if you never have. I don't know anybody with vast tracts of land covered in hogs who isn't charging to be a guide and all that crap I just said.

Otherwise, I'd probably be out there right now... In below freezing.

I just realized I said "down here" in an Alabama thread... Should I be getting my ass kicked for reminding you that there is something more south than Alabama now, or do I take a number and wait in line?

:lol:

steveman01

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Ya'll got hog up there? I've never hunted hog down here because it's all gone elitist with guides and trophy fees and sundry loads of sissy bullsh!t like that.

yep. your right though the trick is findin someone with the land and the willingness to let you hunt.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

ixtow wrote:
steveman01 wrote:
I felt the same way... I just stick to private property so that all that junk dont apply.

He's right, it's damn hard to start hunting if you never have. I don't know anybody with vast tracts of land covered in hogs who isn't charging to be a guide and all that crap I just said.

Otherwise, I'd probably be out there right now... In below freezing.

I just realized I said "down here" in an Alabama thread... Should I be getting my ass kicked for reminding you that there is something more south than Alabama now, or do I take a number and wait in line?

:lol:
LOL!!!! I seriously LOL'ed at your post.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Ixtow, where are you at in that tropical depression (not so tropical right now though)

I travel to Ruskin sometimes, and I am always looking for someone to hunt with.

I used to hunt pigs between Bradenton & Arcadia/myakka city. (over 20 years ago though)I am sure there has got to be some places outside of Brandon or even around Largo, what part of the state are you near?? You do not need to be specific if you don't want, just a general idea.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Ixtow, where are you at in that tropical depression (not so tropical right now though)

I travel to Ruskin sometimes, and I am always looking for someone to hunt with.

I used to hunt pigs between Bradenton & Arcadia/myakka city. (over 20 years ago though)I am sure there has got to be some places outside of Brandon or even around Largo, what part of the state are you near?? You do not need to be specific if you don't want, just a general idea.
I recently escaped the frying pan region, only to find myself in the fire... I thought my Profile location was a give away... ;-)