• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I fear too many people think like this.

NC-Heel

Please watch this video on CNN before reading my thoughts.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/06/14/dnt-kaye-texas-stand-your-ground.cnn

I place this in the NC section as it is the only section I visit at OC.org and the only section where I interact with like minded individuals.

After numerous conversations here and elsewhere with people that carry I feel too many people interpret the Stand Your Ground laws this way. I have already voiced my opinion on the differences between a potential threat and imminent danger, using a drawn weapon as a deterrent to potential threats and now I will add to that audio/video recorders.

This gentleman's video camera is what sealed his fate. I would imagine in his mind this was iron clad evidence that would exonerate him of any wrong doing. I will never record any encounter I have as I believe in the old saying, there are three sides to every story. My side is the only story that will be heard in a lethal force encounter. In this guys thought process I surmise this encounter happened fairly quickly but the video tells a different story.

Every thing that was wrong with this encounter. Potential threat versus imminent danger. Imminent danger, in my opinion, is one that can not be deterred either verbally or with a show of force. It is one that can only be stopped with equal force. This guy saying he felt threatened and feared for his life while standing there talking to 911, proves to me, he was neither. In my opinion, with the calm manner that he made those statements leads me to believe that he went over to the neighbor's house with the intent of using his pistol if he did not get his way. He was setting the stage for his justification for lethal force.

His use of his pistol as a deterrent. He had it drawn and announced it's presence to everyone. Someone on this forum would call this Step 2 of their Force Continuum, I call it irresponsible. You are being a bully and escalating the situation. The other guy felt the need to go arm himself so that they would be on equal ground. If I draw my weapon it is with the intent to stop an immediate threat and I plan on discharging that weapon as soon as I bring it on target.

I am guessing the guy walked over to the neighbors house and was standing on the sidewalk or in the road. He has every right to do that. The way I would have handled it would be to walk over and ask them to turn it down, like he did. My weapon would be holstered. I would never point out I am armed and will shoot anyone who threatens me like he did. Once they refused to turn it down I would inform them I was calling the police so they could send someone out to determine if the music should be turned down. No need for the video camera, you already have the 911 call being recorded. As the crowd approaches inform them that you are not comfortable with them so close and to please give you your personal space. At any time that someone does threaten you, then it is time to make the decision if lethal force is warranted. It will be way easier for a lawyer to convey your fear to a court than try to discredit the video that you recorded of your premeditation.

rotorhead

Yours is actually a great analogy of the story.

My short version: He was an idiot who tried to record himself in a self-imposed dangerous situation, saying all the "right" things in an attempt to later use the video in a possible defense if needed.

That was one of the worst examples of stretching a castle doctrine defense scenario I've ever seen.

NC-Heel

Yours is actually a great analogy of the story.

My short version: He was an idiot who tried to record himself in a self-imposed dangerous situation, saying all the "right" things in an attempt to later use the video in a possible defense if needed.

That was one of the worst examples of stretching a castle doctrine defense scenario I've ever seen.
I feel the same but I read on here, see youtube videos and talk to people and time after time they feel things like warning shots and other different scenarios, such as this, are acceptable. How many times have I seen it posted where someone says they would rather point their pistol at someone and stop a potential attack rather than waiting for it to become a situation where lethal force is authorized? I am not a police officer so I no initiative to detain people. I plan on going home that night and for the next 10 to 20 years I plan on sleeping in my bed and not a prison cell because my initial intention was to dissuade an individual rather than protect my life.

dashowdy

This guy was not in danger, he had every oppurtunity to leave and go back in his house and wait for police to arrive. Plus the constant, " I am in fear of my life." and " he is escalating force." were cues he was trying to cover his ass with his video. The guy deserves life in prison. Castle doctrine is there for when you have absolutley no other option but too defend yourself with deadly force, not for trying to control drunken idiots that you think might be dangerous.

MKEgal

NC-Heel said:
time after time they feel things like warning shots and other different scenarios, such as this, are acceptable.
Warning shots, no.
Verbally warning someone you are armed & will protect yourself, yes.
Going so far as to point a pistol at someone as a last ditch effort (short of shooting) to stop an attack, yes.

How many times have I seen it posted where someone says they would rather point their pistol at someone and stop a potential attack rather than waiting for it to become a situation where lethal force is authorized?
You say that as though you think there's something wrong with it. :confused:
I don't want to harm anyone (with the exception of the guy who raped me, & he earned it).
If I can warn someone away instead of killing him, I'll do it & happily.