• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I hate MD's effective ban on self defense

ChristCrusader

Travelling from VA to visit a friend in MD for a few days at his house on his property, I feel like I'm travelling to a hostile, alien world.

Taking any handguns with me appears to be too complicated and prohibited.

Is the solution to take a bolt action rifle and/or a semi auto shotgun in the vehicle for self defense, as long as it's not loaded?
  • Does it need to be cased?
  • Does it need to be out in the open?
  • Does it need to be separated from its ammo?
  • Does it need to be inaccessible to the driver/passengers?

I see some of those answers in regards to handguns, but not for rifles/shotguns (as long as they're unloaded)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Maverick9

You think that's bad. In England, merely defending yourself at all can cause you to be arrested. Defending yourself in any school in the US may cause you to be handcuffed and charges filed.

I'd say your options are (though I'm speaking hypothetically and not advising any of these):
1. Have the friend come to Va, or SkyPE
2. Seek other tools for SD
3. Stay out of trouble
4. Ship the firearm to your friend or use the one he has in his home

I think you could be stopped and have any firearm seized in MD, despite the, um, length or method of storage, if the LEO wanted to push it. Why risk it?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Travelling from VA to visit a friend in MD for a few days at his house on his property, I feel like I'm travelling to a hostile, alien world.

Taking any handguns with me appears to be too complicated and prohibited.

Is the solution to take a bolt action rifle and/or a semi auto shotgun in the vehicle for self defense, as long as it's not loaded?
  • Does it need to be cased?
  • Does it need to be out in the open?
  • Does it need to be separated from its ammo?
  • Does it need to be inaccessible to the driver/passengers?

I see some of those answers in regards to handguns, but not for rifles/shotguns (as long as they're unloaded)
Thanks in advance.

From the Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, Maryland page:

Handguns may be transported to or from a gun-related event but they must be unloaded and in a secure case. Magazines may remain loaded while in a vehicle as long as they are not attached to, or inserted into, any handgun. Travelers passing THROUGH the state may transport inaccessible handguns even if they are not traveling to a gun-related event. The handguns must be unloaded, encased and stowed in the trunk or locked in a case if the vehicle has no trunk.

In Maryland, rifles and shotguns may be transported in a vehicle for any reason. (Unlike handguns, which may only be transported to or from a gun-related event.) Rifles and shotguns being transported must be unloaded and secured in commercial cases or gun racks regardless of whether one has a permit or not.

Hope this helps.

Maverick9

In Maryland, rifles and shotguns may be transported in a vehicle for any reason. (Unlike handguns, which may only be transported to or from a gun-related event.) Rifles and shotguns being transported must be unloaded and secured in commercial cases or gun racks regardless of whether one has a permit or not.

Hope this helps.

Yeah good luck with driving around in Md with a long gun in a gun rack for more than 10 minutes, lol.

ChristCrusader

James Canny, thank you...
Can you cite for me where a case or rack is stipulated for vehicle transport?
And then what condition must the long gun be removed from the vehicle? Open carry? "Concealed"(encased)?
Thanks more!

Maverick9

James Canny, thank you...
Can you cite for me where a case or rack is stipulated for vehicle transport?
And then what condition must the long gun be removed from the vehicle? Open carry? "Concealed"(encased)?
Thanks more!

Aren't you being ridiculous? HOW are you going to use a rifle in Maryland for self-defense? Do NOT take a gun of any kind into Maryland. Consider your chance of needing a firearm to solve a self-defense situation for the period of a few days in Maryland is probably so small as to be incalculable. Your chance of being stopped because someone reported a rifle in your vehicle and maybe shot by over zealous Maryland police is probably 50-50 given the current climate.

Last edited: