• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need pocket pistol recommendations

carry for myself

taurus millennium pro in 9mm is a good choice too. bigger than the Khars/ rugers but the weight makes the 9mm recoil very low. around a .380. has a key locking device for storage, high mag cap and a short barrel. and its under $400 usually ;-)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
taurus millennium pro in 9mm is a good choice too. bigger than the Khars/ rugers but the weight makes the 9mm recoil very low. around a .380. has a key locking device for storage, high mag cap and a short barrel. and its under $400 usually ;-)

I have the millennium Pro in .40. Small and reliable. My wife enjoys shooting it.

MilProGuy

I can highly recommend any one of the three pistols in the pic:

The Taurus PT738 TCP .380
The Ruger LCP .380
The Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 (my personal favorite of the three)

trioofdeepconcealcarryp.jpg

since9

Campaign Veteran
SovereignAxe - how seriously have you considered revolvers?
I'm asking for one reason only - autos have a higher likelihood of jamming due to a misfeed or poor ejection.

I'd second that, adding the smaller the caliber, the more likely it is to jam due to the tighter machining tolerances required.

While a revolver won't have as many shots, you can find a nice snubbie in .38 Special OR .357 Magnum. Yes, the magnum will kick more but you have a better selection of ammo. And she can always put .38 Special in it instead.

Just thinkin'.

Good thinkin', JTHunter. :) It's one of the reasons I'm looking at Ruger's KLCR-357, 5-round .357 as my BUG. In wintertime, since we're always wearing jackets around here, it'd make a great pocket pistol, as well.

SovereignAxe

I've actually considered revolvers pretty seriously. I asked her about it and she seemed to think that she'd be more comfortable with one, knowing how simple the operation is-despite the decreased capacity. I asked her after a coworker told me she owned a Ruger LCR and loved it. She said that the range they opened recently has one to rent.

That's why I'm going to try and get her over there as soon as the budget allows it. I'm sure after range fees, rental fees, and the inevitable box of ammo they'll make me buy from them I'll be out $50.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Kel Tec P-3AT

Purse Snatcher

----------

I'd recommend more education and experience with a variety of guns before she makes a final decision...

"I shot that one so I'll stick it in my purse now" is not a comprehensive enough process...

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Kel Tec P-3AT

Purse Snatcher

----------

I'd recommend more education and experience with a variety of guns before she makes a final decision...

"I shot that one so I'll stick it in my purse now" is not a comprehensive enough process...

Of course. I don't think anyone is advocating that thought process.

Also, if we go with a pistol like that, we'd probably end up with the Ruger LCP. But it remains to be seen whether or not she'll enjoy shooting that pistol or any like it. Who knows, she may end up prefering a steel framed pistol that'll soak up more recoil.

kubel

Ruger LCP + Crimson Trace
Kahr PM40
Walther PPS 9mm
Walther PPS .40

I'm hesitant to recommend the Kahr PM40 due to the nightmare this gun has been for me, but it's the perfect form factor and caliber for primary pocket or deep concealment carry (if you get lucky with one that works). I own both the 9mm and .40 versions of the Walther PPS, and those two happen to be my favorites since they are top quality, a pleasure to shoot at the range, very accurate (or more precisely, I'm accurate with them), and they are easy to conceal. They are only barely pocketable if you use a flush magazine. The +1 and +2 that they ship with are not very pocket friendly. So if the LCP is too small or has too long and heavy of a trigger, or if .380 isn't 'enough', do consider the PPS. I don't think she will be disappointed.

For ladies and guys both, I highly recommend the SmartCarry holster for any of the above guns. It's probably more ideal than purse carry since there's less of a chance of theft, and it works well with most single-stack sub-compact and pocket sized guns. It's also surprisingly comfortable.

SovereignAxe

.40 S&W is absolutely out of the question. recoil is way too snappy and uncomfortable-especially in a small gun. 9mm is pushing it, I'd just have to find the right gun for it. I've handled a PPS personally, and I wasn't a big fan of the grip. I much prefer the Ruger LC9. However, it has alredy been pointed out by others in this thread that the recoil of the LC9 would probably be too much for someone that is sensitive to recoil, so I already nixed it from our list of options.

McNutty

I have a Kahr PM9 - if you are looking for something small and easy to conceal in at least a 9mm, it is a great gun. It can be snappy but it is accurate and I like it's concealability and I certainly wouldn't go the PM40 route if it were my wife. Any subcompact 40 will have quite the recoil - I at least wouldn't see my wife being comfortable with it. If it were my wife, I would seriously consider Ruger's LCR. Ruger makes great guns. It's small, light and from an operational standpoint, I think it is a no brainer. From a capacity standpoint, its not that different, and I think its a good value. I have had the occasional failure to feed issues with the Kahr...if my wife were carrying (and I am just getting her to go the range at this point) I would want my wife to have the simplicity and reliability of a revovler.