• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need pocket pistol recommendations

SovereignAxe

I've been trying to figure out a gun to get for my fiancee to put in her purse. She's still not comfortable with the idea of me open carrying, so that's out of the question. I highly doubt I could get her to CC on her hip, but hey, a gun in her purse is better than no gun at all.

Which leads me to our criterea. She wants a gun that's light, small, and easy to shoot. She's not particular about caliber, as long as it's not more powerful than 9mm. She'd even go for a .22, and really likes the Walther P22, but I would much rather her have at least a .380. I showed her the Ruger LCP, and she liked it, but liked the P22 better. This week we ran across a Ruger LC9 at Mahoney's, and we were both really impressed with it. It is extremely comfortable, has a manual safety (which I think will make her more comfortable with it), and shoots 9mm, which is cheap and powerful (compared to .380, .32 and .22).

So so far we're both really impressed with the LC9, we just need to find someone that owns one to see if she likes the way that it shoots...that may take a while, as I don't know that many gun owners. BUT, at this time we have neither the funds for a new gun, nor does she have her permit yet. So this isn't a pressing issue, we're just shopping around.

As far as budget goes, I wouldn't say the sky is the limit, but with pocket pistols, price isn't really an issue. But I want her to get something that she'll actually want to go to the range and practice with. So if that means spending $400 instead of $200, that's not really a big deal. But the same thing goes with ammo. I realize that most pistols this size are built for the .380 round, which is comparitively expensive to 9mm, so whatever gets her to the range more often the better. So if I could find a pocket size 9mm that she would enjoy, that would be perfect, but I don't want to discount .380 just yet.

I want to end this post with one more question. So far I've only been looking at new, polymer framed pistols. But is there anything I should consider from days of yore made of steel? I work with a woman that carries a .380 Walther PPK, and she loves it. My only concern with the PPK is that I've heard they're pretty picky about ammo.

Others that I'm aware of, but am not considering: Walther PPS (uncomfortable), anything by Kel-Tec, Ruger SR9c (too big)

Others that I want to see/don't know much about: S&W Bodyguard, SIG P238/P230

Winners so far: Ruger LCP, LC9, Walther PK380

45acpForMe

First, I have been told that purse carry in general is not recommended because the first thing the criminal is going to go for is her purse. So if he has her purse he then also has her means of self defense.

Assuming you are going to ignore the above warning the second thing people have told me was that a revolver inside the purse makes sense because you don't have to worry about the slide needing space to cycle or going out of battery. You can fire a revolver directly from inside the purse if necessary.

Assuming you don't want a revolver I would recommend the Kahr PM9 which is 9mm and not .380. For self defense 9mm is better.

Assuming you really like .380's I can recommend the Kahr P380 which I have one and let my daughter train with. I also have heard great things about the Sig P238 which to me looks like a mini 1911 although it is heavier.

If she does purse-carry make sure she uses a holster (pocket or otherwise) so that her lipstick doesn't cause a ND :-0

If you decide to go with a revolver try to get a hammerless one so that the hammer doesn't get caught up on anything in the purse.

There are alot of great guns out there so have fun (no sarcasm intended) searching for the right one. And remember you don't only have to get one. :)

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
She wants a gun that's light, small, and easy to shoot.

When the Ruger LC9 first came out I was very excited to try it out. My neighbor recently purchased one and I've taken him to the range to help break it in. If your fiancee wants something with low recoil comparable to the Walther p22, she is in for a surprise. There is a decent amount of kick to it. I shot it and compared it to my m&p to get an idea. While it isn't something that can't be managed, if she is sensitive to recoil, I can't recommend the LC9. I haven't had an opportunity to compare it to something like the PPS or the PM9. The bodyguard I've found actually kicks about the same as the LC9 even though there is a little less powder behind the charge, so I can't recommend it. I've liked the P238 since I ever saw it, handled it, but never saw it. It's a bit pricier than the other options, but I can't see it being a bad choice.

jeeper1

I suggest a revolver in 38 special, possibly a Taurus 85 with their rubber grips to help absorb the recoil.
You might also consider a CZ82 in 9x18. Not much more powerful than a 380 with light recoil and very reliable. It's about the same size as the Taurus 85.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If you're interested in .380 the Taurus PT738 is worth a look. They even have it in pretty colors. I have one. It's small and lightweight, yet comfortable to shoot.

Ruby

Small light guns are usually going to have a fair amount of recoil because the weight isn't there to help with recoil. When I was new to guns a couple of years ago, someone tried to sell me a gun, Smith & Wesson I believe, an Airweight. I sure am glad I didn't buy it. Found out later that it kicks like a mule. I bought a S & W M & P 9mm compact instead. Very good gun, but didn't like the lightweight frame. I now own and carry a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in stainless steel. It's about 3 lbs loaded. Yes it's heavy, but I shoot it very well. I want something that will stop an attacker in his tracks and it will get the job done.

I do purse carry since I can't OC because of work. There is a totally separate compartment for the gun, accessible from the outside of the purse, with a holster in the compartment. It has a zipper closure. It's a shoulder handbag. I replaced the thin leather strap with a short chain that has clips on both ends. It handles the weight better and it can't be cut. I use public transportation and maintain good situational awareness. There are risks no matter how you carry, the important thing is to carry. Also keep in mind that if you have to shoot with the gun in your purse, you are probably going to catch it on fire.

One more thing; don't skimp on the gun. While you don't have to buy the most expensive thing out there, don't get the cheapest either. People generally get what they pay for. Remember you are buying something that your life may depend on one day. Get the best gun you can afford and practice with it. How much is your life worth?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I will add that she should make sure to get a purse specifically designed to carry a pistol. There are a lot of different models out there. The last think she should have to worry about is her gun sliding around in her purse.

Ruby

My purse is a gun purse and I bought it at a gun store. Most good gun shops will have some gun purses. They are also available online.

I also have a fanny pack with a built in holster. I like it because the gun is actually on me. I wear it with the "pack" part in the front though, not in the rear. I want to be able to get to my gun if I need to.

j4l

^ditto on the CZ82/83 - if you can find one anywhere. things are damned near impossible to find locally anymore.
Or, the Bersas- there are several Bersa Thunders in .380 that are outstanding for the $$.
Cant really suggest anything in 9mm for such small guns though- their recoil is snappy enough to begin with, before you start going down to pocket-size guns.

Another option would be if you can find something in 9x18mm Makarov. I still see old CZs and Maks showing up, often times for under $200. They are built like tanks- our great-grandkids will be shooting them someday. And the Mak round is a decent, sort of in-between- the power of .38/.380 and 9mm.

Not sure why you would knock off the Kel Tecs, out of hand. They can be fine pieces in a pinch.

jeeper1

Nothing wrong with the Kel-tec pistols except that they have, by design, terribly heavy trigger pulls.
The P-11s have a minimum 8.5 lb. trigger pull and the P3ATs are about the same.
I have one of each of those so I know they require a strong grip as well as a strong trigger pull. They are in my opinion better for the experienced shooter rather than the novice.

celticredneck

My wife carries a .380 Bersa Thunder and it is a fine gun for the money. Neither she nor I have ever had any FTFs or FTEs with it. The Bersas are a bit heavier than most .380s,and the recoil is, to me at least, a bit "snappy" compared to my carry guns. (Colt Dick Special .38, Tanfoglio BTA 90 in 9mm or either of my .45 acps.)

j4l

Nothing wrong with the Kel-tec pistols except that they have, by design, terribly heavy trigger pulls.
The P-11s have a minimum 8.5 lb. trigger pull and the P3ATs are about the same.
I have one of each of those so I know they require a strong grip as well as a strong trigger pull. They are in my opinion better for the experienced shooter rather than the novice.

Ah, gotcha. I can see where some female shooters may not do as well with a heavier DA trigger, I suppose..

SovereignAxe

wow, there were way more responses to this than I expected. I guess I underestimate how much of us like to share our gun knowledge lol. I'll try and respond as best I can without quoting everyone.

First off, you guys have talked me out of 9mm. The lightest gun I've ever shot 9mm in is my Walther, and now that I think about it, anything lighter would be pretty snappy. I still wouldn't mind having the LC9 for myself as a CC gun, but I guess it's not the best option for her.

The CZ82: This seems like a pretty cool gun, but from what size data I can find seems a bit bigger and heavier than pocket pistols. I wont totally discount this though as that'll help dampen recoil-despite the blowback design. I doubt, however, I'll ever actually see one of these outside of an online auction.

Bersa Thunder: I actually remembered this gun a few hours after I posted this thread, and I will definitely look into it. I've never seen one in stores, but I hope I can find one. Ditto on the weight issue.

Makarov PM: I did consider this gun, but I don't think I've ever seen 9mm Mak in stores in my area, and I'd prefer a caliber that I can. You'll have to really sell me on 9x18.

Kahr P380: Doesn't seem like a bad gun, but I can't see a reason to get it instead of the LCP.

Revolvers: I haven't considered any yet, partially because they tend to be pretty heavy, and have heavy trigger pulls. Plus I'm not sure she'd like the idea of being confined to 6 shots. But then again, my revolver experience is limited to my Blackhawk (which is SA), my dad's GP-100, and my brother's S&W Model 13, both of which have fairly heavy trigger pulls. This experience has had me write off revolvers, but I've had zero experience with small revolvers. I've been interested in the SP-101 in .327 Magnum, but mostly for myself as a BUG/glovebox gun. The price has me turned off though. That pushes me back to .38 which, to hold more than 5 rounds, would need to be comparably heavy and large to a .380. I wont write them off until I get to try one, but I don't hold much hope.

So right now it's looking like .380 is the round to go for, as much as I hate to admit it. That's unless I can be convinced to buy 9x18 online or find a really kickass .38 (Like the Ruger LCR, perhaps?). Or if I can be convinced that the gun size and recoil of .327 is worth the price.

Something I forgot to mention is that she's not really a big pistol fan-she likes to shoot rifles, but pistols aren't something she enjoys. I'm just thrilled that she is actually interested in owning a gun that's hers to carry. So in addition to it being unlikely that she's going to buy a new holster purse, or even carry it as often as I'd like her to (she frequently leaves her purse in her car-but hopefully having a pistol in it will change that), my main focus here is to find the most comfortable pistol to shoot so that she'll actually practice with it.

btw, she hates pink. So a gun that comes in pink has no bearing whatsoever on our choice.

j4l

Couple good points there, and we did kinda/sorta really stray from the concept of a true pocket pistol- both in terms of size/etc, and in calibers.

Bersa also makes a more compact version of ther .380 Thunders, in their CC model-still a bit larger than a true pocket-size pistol but,yes, they can be hard to find.

http://www.google.com/products?q=bersa+thunder+cc&hl=en

9mm Mak. Plenty of sources for it online, and probably for less $$ than you are likely to pay at any local gunshop anyway, in some cases (except for shipping, of course). Most of the pistols chambered for the round are a bit heavier/larger than pocket pistols,also, but.. good, solid, reliable when needed-makes a decent trade-off, I think.

CCI makes some good TMJ rounds for it- JHP really doesnt make much sense in these or even .380 rounds most of the time,anyway. You want the penetration, not the 6-8 inches of shallow penetration/expansion of most JHPs in .380/9mm Mak.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9705674031289177888#

So far, the best bets for compact .380's going at the moment are really the Ruger/Taurus TCP/LCPs, as far as fitting the size/weight issues. My wife wants one of either-has tried both- and was pleased with them-and she really ISNT a gun person at all. Hates them, to be fair,but understands the necessity. She found little/no issue with the trigger-pulls or recoil of either.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Kahr P380: Doesn't seem like a bad gun, but I can't see a reason to get it instead of the LCP.

The sights on the Kahr are much better than the LCP (if that matters to you). In my mind the trigger is a lot nicer too (again, if that matters to you). Kahr is a lot more $$$$ than the Ruger though. Everything is a compromise...

Speaking of Kahr, if you can find one for her to shoot, have her try a MK9. It's an all metal version in 9mm - a little bit heavier than the PM9. The perceived recoil is a "little" bit more tame than the polymer version due to the heavier weight.

I've shot a Ruger LCR and couldn't tell much difference in perceived recoil vs a Kahr PM9 (but that's just me, her mileage my vary) using non +p ammo.

At the end of the day you are on the right track having her shoot various pistols to see what she likes . Ultimately, it is her decision as to what is comfortable for her to shoot/carry.

SovereignAxe

I talked to a coworker today about the LCR and she said she has one and loves it. The main features she likes are the weight, the grips, the power (when she wants it. she has the .357 version), and the fact that it doesn't have an exposed hammer. I quickly realized, there's lots of stuff to get a hammer stuck on in a purse. Not only that, but she said that in her permit class they taught the women to hold their pistols close to the body, and basically use point shooting. That's a far cry from the weaver stance they taught in my class. But I can kindof see why since most women are going to be carrying tiny guns with no sight radius, or sights worth using, and most engagements won't be much farther than arm's reach. I can't say I'm totally convinced, but it's something to think about.

But anyway, the point is that I think I've found another piece of critera: no hammer, or at least a bobtail hammer.

Couple good points there, and we did kinda/sorta really stray from the concept of a true pocket pistol- both in terms of size/etc, and in calibers.

Bersa also makes a more compact version of ther .380 Thunders, in their CC model-still a bit larger than a true pocket-size pistol but,yes, they can be hard to find.

http://www.google.com/products?q=bersa+thunder+cc&hl=en

9mm Mak. Plenty of sources for it online, and probably for less $$ than you are likely to pay at any local gunshop anyway, in some cases (except for shipping, of course). Most of the pistols chambered for the round are a bit heavier/larger than pocket pistols,also, but.. good, solid, reliable when needed-makes a decent trade-off, I think.

CCI makes some good TMJ rounds for it- JHP really doesnt make much sense in these or even .380 rounds most of the time,anyway. You want the penetration, not the 6-8 inches of shallow penetration/expansion of most JHPs in .380/9mm Mak.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9705674031289177888#

So far, the best bets for compact .380's going at the moment are really the Ruger/Taurus TCP/LCPs, as far as fitting the size/weight issues. My wife wants one of either-has tried both- and was pleased with them-and she really ISNT a gun person at all. Hates them, to be fair,but understands the necessity. She found little/no issue with the trigger-pulls or recoil of either.

I think you're right. I've always been impressed with Ruger, so I'm leaning towards the LCP or LCR, and I think she'll like them as well. I haven't written off the PK380 though, as it's basically a .380 version of the P22. Ultimately, however, it's totally up to her. I doubt we'll run into a Makarov or Bersa CC, but if we do I'll be excited to see what she thinks of them. And if we do, I'm sure it'll be at a price we couldn't pass up.

SickPythons

I'd say that the LC9 is one of the best carry pistols on the market. It has a large enough grip, a slim, slippery profile, actual sights, a loaded chamber indicator, etc...

The only problem I could see with that gun is that the slide is relatively difficult to manipulate due to the small locking tab and tight spring. I demonstrate the LC9 in my pistol classes and the women generally struggle with that part of it. Of course, practice is everything.

For her, I would suggest a small revolver or sticking with that P22.

In my opinion, a .22 for self-defense is perfect if you are going to miss with larger rounds.

Whatever you choose, practice your bulls-eyes but practice drawing from that purse as well.

Be safe.

SovereignAxe

I'd say that the LC9 is one of the best carry pistols on the market. It has a large enough grip, a slim, slippery profile, actual sights, a loaded chamber indicator, etc...

The only problem I could see with that gun is that the slide is relatively difficult to manipulate due to the small locking tab and tight spring. I demonstrate the LC9 in my pistol classes and the women generally struggle with that part of it. Of course, practice is everything.

For her, I would suggest a small revolver or sticking with that P22.

In my opinion, a .22 for self-defense is perfect if you are going to miss with larger rounds.

Whatever you choose, practice your bulls-eyes but practice drawing from that purse as well.

Be safe.

That's something else I need to figure out. I need to put a small .38 or .380 in her hands and see how and if she can handle either one. But you're right, a .22 is better than nothing. I'm sure she could handle something in the .38/.380 power range if we can find the right gun though.

But yeah, I really, really liked that LC9. My P99 is much more suited to OC, so when I get the money I would love to have that LC9 to use as a CC piece for those days when it's just inappropriate to OC. My first thought was the Walther PPS (for those that don't know, it uses a single stack 9mm mag and PPS aptly stands for Police Pistol Slim), but they compromised grip comfort, and it doesn't seem like it would be comfortably to shoot. My second thought was the Ruger SR9c, which I really like. The LC9 however...I want that in my life lol

Not to derail my own thread, but if there's a better single stack compact 9mm I'd like to hear about it.