• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i95 shut down due to “11 armed individuals standing with long guns"

hammer6

Thoughts on this?

“You can imagine 11 armed individuals standing with long guns slung on an interstate highway at 2 in the morning certainly raises concerns and is not consistent with the firearms laws that we have in Massachusetts,” Mason said.

Is it or is it not consistent with their laws?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The 1780 Massachusetts Constitution presented another variation on the theme: “The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. . . .” Pt. First, Art. XVII, in 3 Thorpe 1888, 1892. Once again, if one gives narrow meaning to the phrase “common defence” this can be thought to limit the right to the bearing of arms in a state-organized military force. But once again the State’s highest court thought otherwise. Writing for the court in an 1825 libel case, Chief Justice Parker wrote: “The liberty of the press was to be unrestrained, but he who used it was to be responsible in cases of its abuse; like the right to keep fire arms, which does not protect him who uses them for annoyance or destruction.” Commonwealth v. Blanding, 20 Mass. 304, 313–314. The analogy makes no sense if firearms could not be used for any individual purpose at all.
I'd say they better cut them loose.....

By the way, Massachusetts constitution wording of today is the same as the wording of 1780.

Figure out where the above quote came from.

solus

your cite, quote:
The standoff began around 2 a.m. when police noticed two cars pulled over on I-95 with hazard lights on after they had apparently run out of fuel, authorities said at a Saturday press briefing.

“You can imagine 11 armed individuals standing with long guns slung on an interstate highway at 2 in the morning certainly raises concerns and is not consistent with the firearms laws that we have in Massachusetts,” [MA SP CPL] Mason said.

The men refused to put down their weapons or comply with authorities’ orders, claiming to be from a group “that does not recognize our laws...

Police initially reported nine suspects were taken into custody, but two more were taken into custody in their vehicle later Saturday morning

[best for last...] Police and prosecutors are working to determine what charges the members of the group will face.

unquote

considering starting a go fund me for the blokes...

ps update...just made national news...

mlawson

I thought that was a typical response of LE? If you refuse a legal direct order, than you suffer the consequences. Regardless of what you were doing was legal or not.

solus

There are tales, verified, the SP of the eastern anti firearms ping out-of-state license plates to see if there is a concealed privilege attached to the vehicle's operator...if there is, the vehicle is stop, driver queried, and vehicle searched for firearm not xported iaw the state's xport mandates - if there are...the operator and passengers are cited Or worse!

mlawson

Just had to look it up for MA, boy they are ruthless want to know everything...

DRIVER'S LICENSE LINKED TO CARRY PERMIT?​

Is my Massachusetts driver’s license linked to my Massachusetts carry permit?

Yes. Any time law enforcement runs a driver's license or vehicle registration, if the individual has a firearms license it will be indicated, along with a list of registered firearms.

solus

most states the concealed privilege credentials are attached to the holders Dl, found when the officer's vehicle computer.

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan
Typical weasel words. Here is one, Wisconsin, that does not. I am not going to do Dog Boy’s research for him but I do not recall that South Carolina links CCW to LPN or DL.

175.60(2m)(e) The department of justice may contract with the department of transportation to produce and issue license documents under this section. Neither the department of transportation nor any employee of the department of transportation may store, maintain, or access the information provided by the department of justice for the production or issuance of license documents other than to the extent necessary to produce or issue the license documents.

solus

Typical weasel words. Here is one, Wisconsin, that does not. I am not going to do Dog Boy’s research for him but I do not recall that South Carolina links CCW to LPN or DL.

175.60(2m)(e) The department of justice may contract with the department of transportation to produce and issue license documents under this section. Neither the department of transportation nor any employee of the department of transportation may store, maintain, or access the information provided by the department of justice for the production or issuance of license documents other than to the extent necessary to produce or issue the license documents.
dougie, there you go and start off a conversation using out of context terms "weasel words" and then engage in elementary school name calling...

but no where did i mention SC whatsoever, or even the cheese state in my post above...what i did state was the term "MOST"...

mlawson

Dougie doesn't read very well does he? Looks like someone reads what he wants and just shoots from the holster.