• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IL & WI Open Carry get together in Beloit - Sun Mar 21 - Be there!!

Passive101

imported post

I'm working 10-6 that day. I won't be able to show. I'm really hoping to show up at one of these events.

scorpio_vette

imported post

barronburke wrote:
Thats great good fun scorp!! he must be 10% polar bear it was cold that day in sussex.
:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

LOL it really wasn't that bad out that day. LOL plus it's so much easier without a jacket. the only jackets i have are so bulky that i'm always worried they're going to fall over the holster.

PS: I was actually thinking about taking my bike down there until they started talking about snow.

TyGuy

imported post

TyGuy will be there!

** in the voice of Troy McClure ** I'm TyGuy and you might remember me from websites such as icarry.org and illinoiscarry.com but now I am here at opencarry.org.

I'll see ya'll on Sunday.

SAK

imported post

hurry and ban TyGuy before it's too late ;) (jk of course)

Update on event:

I met in person with the city police and the town police. One of the city police officers wanted to make sure all of the attendees know the laws, be sure that they don't allow clothing to ever conceal the firearms especially if it's cruddy weather. I'm confident that this event will go as smoothly and successfully as all of the other open carry events in Wisconsin have gone :)

One of the township officers (we'll be spending most of our time in the township) said he registered on ICarry the other day :D I don't know his username offhand, but I'd like to welcome him to the site nonetheless.

Everyone is on the same page and looking for a good event. My only concern is the weather, but rain or shine I'll be there and so will a lot of people. Don't let mother nature keep you from exercising your rights on Sunday :wink:

DINNER RESERVATIONS

Beloit Family Restaurant‎
2780 Prairie Avenue, Beloit, WI‎

I told them we would show up 3:30-4:00. They are aware that we will be open carrying. This restaurant is likely in a school zone so don't have an uncased gun anywhere outside of the private property of the restaurant.

I figured we'd wrap up the litter pickup by then - there should be enough volunteers to get the job done :)

SAK

imported post

polimap.jpg

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
barronburke wrote:
Thats great good fun scorp!! he must be 10% polar bear it was cold that day in sussex.
:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

the only jackets i have are so bulky that i'm always worried they're going to fall over the holster.
OOhhh. That's the reason. I thought you were exercising your Right to Bare Arms!:lol:

blaze

imported post

SAK wrote:
I'm guessing you got a bit of snow up there too? I hope we don't need flamethrowers to melt the snow and find the litter :D
We got a little SAK but the ground being pretty warm it's melting pretty fast. It will be gone by tomorrow noon.:cool:

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Good article.

The philosophical side of me is tempted to de-construct it a bit.

Cowger and her husband often go hunting with their children to teach them about responsible gun ownership. Cowger said guns get a bad reputation because they are always associated with crime, and not with sports, self-protection or hunting for a meal.

I totally agree with her that guns get a bad reputation and aren't associated with self-protection.

The hunting thing... I think by and large the general public accepts guns for hunting. Even all but the most liberal politicians pay huge lip service to the respect for people's right to have guns "for hunting".

Outside of hunting, thats where so many people (politicians etc) assume (in my opinion) that the only OTHER use is by criminals. Thats the crux of what I think open-carry is a great tool to dispel those myths.

I don't think it made the on-air video, but when the AP did their story last week I commented that 100's of thousands of people in 48 other states, doctors, teachers, nurses, students, mothers, lawyers, blue-collar and white-collar and everyone in between carry guns daily for self-defense... They just do so by concealing. In Wisconsin, we can't, we must OC, but the positive side of that is that people DO get to see that this huge cross section of the population of LAW-abiding people carry for self-defense.

The use of guns by law-abiding people for self-defense IS "out of the closet" so to speak.

After hearing about so much crime, Cowger doesn’t want to be a victim or have to depend on others to save her. Although she’s avoided open carrying in the past, she may consider it in the future to raise awareness of the issue. She believes people should have the right to use weapons, although she stressed mandatory gun safety training should be required if people want to conceal and carry.

Strongly support training, but strongly disagree with her on "mandatory" training.

No doubt a conceal carry bill will likely include mandatory training in order to pass in Wisconsin, and as an organization we will support any conceal carry bill that makes it to the floor for a vote that doesn't sacrifice any rights we already have, but in principle "mandatory" training is the wrong way to go. (again, no reason not to support a bill but) Alaska and Vermont have it right. Other states are moving that direction too.

SAK

imported post

I'm in 100% agreement with you on training, Nik. I think training is good, useful, very valuable. I have voluntarily taken training outside of CCW permits myself. So, it should always be encouraged.

Required - no. Right to Carry to me means constitution carry. You want to carry? Go for it, no permit, no fees, no nothing. Carry it as your preference dictates - not as anyone else dictates.

Having said that, we will still support the step-by-step transition to RIGHT to carry. So a CCW permit to start with we'd support. I'll still probably open carry myself, not only to raise awareness but for the fact that it doesn't require permission from anyone.

I am very intent on getting the school zones and vehicle prohibition out of there. Then OC will be getting even more popular than it is already!!!

FREEDOM!!!!

this board needs a half-blue Braveheart smiley ;)

TyGuy

imported post

It was a great time. There are links to newspaper articles and a short newscast video over at icarry.org

It was great getting together with icarry and opencarry members.