• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illegal sign in York County PUBLIC Library

MSC 45ACP

My kids told me about signs located on ALL the tables in the Yorktown branch of the public library. Here is the sign. This photo was taken around 3pm 4 AUG, 2011.

MSC 45ACP

photo...

OR NOT...

I guess I'm too stupid to be able to attach a photo to a posting.

The sign says "Carying weapons of any type" is prohibited in the library.

Oh really? SINCE WHEN?

MSC 45ACP

Maybe they just don't know... shouldn't we give them the chance to fix it first? ::shrug:: Your find, your call. :)

TFred

Sent an "I'm rather confused" e-mail to Sheriff Diggs. Perhaps he can 'splain it to me in better English.
I just don't understand the sign.
It appears to prohibit me from lawfully defending my family from Bad Things at the public library in York County, VA...

Mike

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I may be wrong, but wasn't there something about this a while back? May be in the OC in HR thread? I vaguely remember someone communicating about this with Sheriff Diggs and the Library Administrator.
:confused:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

Thanks I just found it too.

This should have already been taken care of:
Posted 07-25-2011 10:39 AM
As a followup, here's the Library Director's response. Note that he responded to the Sheriff & the County Attorney.
:D
Mr. Barnett & Sheriff Diggs,
I am aware of the State law and have informed the staff that citizens to do have a right to carry "arms" into the library whenever they occasionally do so. This is an apparent oversight in updating the Rules and Regulations of Conduct section of the Library Policies. I will have the Library Board revise the policy at their August meeting.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ampton-Roads&p=1580820&viewfull=1#post1580820

It shouldn't take two weeks to remove the signs!

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

Thanks I just found it too.

This should have already been taken care of:
Posted 07-25-2011 10:39 AM

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ampton-Roads&p=1580820&viewfull=1#post1580820

It shouldn't take two weeks to remove the signs!

Apologies to all for not "catching up" before posting this. I just returned from a library/grocery store/get dinner trip.
First leg of the trip was to the library where I very politely brought one of the signs to The Librarian of the Yorktown Branch (Norma).

I pointed out to her the "illegal" sign and tried to explain Preemption. She wasn't interested.
I suggested she re-word the sign to read "Illegal weapons prohibited" or something to that effect.
She put her hand up in a 'Talk to the Hand' gesture and turned her back on me saying "That isn't my problem.
Its up to someone else..."

I THOUGHT I knew this lady. At least I used to know her. I guess I don't anymore.

When were the signs supposed to be repaired/replaced?

2a4all

If you check this post, you'll find this:

"I cc'd my e-mail to the Library Director to Sheriff Diggs (and to PVC). Sheriff Diggs' response follows.
I have forwarded your discovery of the problem with the library's conduct code to the county attorney. I assume that he will advise the library of this problem and ask them to correct it. Please note that this policy was implemented in 2003 and I do not know if the state law had been passed at that time. I would also assume that this is an oversight on their part. Until the policy is corrected, please be assured that no action will be taken by deputies as we realize that state law supersedes library policy."

I'll send e-mail to the Drector of Library Services. He assured me in an earlier e-mail that his staff was fully familiar with State Law regarding firearms carry.

Last edited:

t33j

I'm 90% sure you mean the older library near Yorktown proper and not the one in Tabb. Am I correct?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you check this post, you'll find this:

"I cc'd my e-mail to the Library Director to Sheriff Diggs (and to PVC). Sheriff Diggs' response follows.
I have forwarded your discovery of the problem with the library's conduct code to the county attorney. I assume that he will advise the library of this problem and ask them to correct it. Please note that this policy was implemented in 2003 and I do not know if the state law had been passed at that time. I would also assume that this is an oversight on their part. Until the policy is corrected, please be assured that no action will be taken by deputies as we realize that state law supersedes library policy."

I'll send e-mail to the Drector of Library Services. He assured me in an earlier e-mail that his staff was fully familiar with State Law regarding firearms carry.

You just have to love that man!

scouser

How about this from their own code of conduct

"B. The following actions are prohibited ....

16. Any other illegal acts or conduct in violation of Federal, State or local law, ordinance or regulation."

Aren't they now breaking their own code of conduct by behaving contrary to State Law?

"C. Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules and regulations may result in exclusion from the Library for the day or permanently, and/or in arrest"

perhaps they ought to be arrested per their own policy :banana:

Last edited:

TFred

You say that in jest, but in all seriousness... 15.2-915 is state code just like speeding or running red lights...

Can't the Sheriff arrest and charge the library boss for breaking this state law just as well as any other?

Why would ignorance of the law or especially "I just haven't gotten around to it yet" (try that for an expired inspection sticker!) be an acceptable excuse?

TFred