• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Im new at this

JTknives

imported post

this is my first post here so i thought i would say Hi first and my name is Jarod Todd. I OC and dont have a CWP. from reading and talking to a cop im lawfuly allowed to OC unloaded (chamber unloaded). am i right, what would i say if im confronted and asked about OC. as my first post i will post a pic of my baby.

1657.jpg

1661.jpg

a proud owner of an XD45

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WELCOME TO OCDO!!!!

Nice gun.

Nice holster. DeSantis?

I'll have to defer to the Utahns on the legal questions.

JTknives

imported post

yep it is. its the best 60 bucks i have spent. i was using the holster that came with the XD45 but it was not as stable as i needed. i love this holster. do thay make then for left handers.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JTknives wrote:
yep it is. its the best 60 bucks i have spent. i was using the holster that came with the XD45 but it was not as stable as i needed. i love this holster. do thay make then for left handers.

Check their website.

b1ack5mith

imported post

alright dude! carry it all the time!!!

im 19, and as these guys know, ive been carrying since i was 18, and now i have piercings and wear more "californian" type clothes again LOL! ive had 1 police confrontation, it went VERY smooth, once you are confronted, youll have ANAZINGLY high confidence, you wont be afraid to OC, EVER! all you have to do is listen to these guys, they all know ALOT about the laws, but the main thing is, once you know the laws, youre home free ;) (and by the way guys, i want to start keeping a small camcorder with me, so if confronted by police, i can show you!)

PavePusher

imported post

JTknives wrote:
this is my first post here so i thought i would say Hi first and my name is Jarod Todd. I OC and dont have a CWP. from reading and talking to a cop im lawfuly allowed to OC unloaded (chamber unloaded). am i right, what would i say if im confronted and asked about OC. as my first post i will post a pic of my baby.
Welcome to OCDO!

You are correct, full mag, no round chambered is legal carry in Utah if you do not have a concealed permit. (I don't currently live in Utah, but have family in Salt Lake and currently have a Utah Non-Resident concealed permit.) I recommend you pick up a copy of Utah Gun Law, 3rd Edition, by Mitch Vilos. It is available here: http://www.gunlaws.com/. This is a great resource for compilations of many states' weapons laws. (I am merely a satisfied customer, no financial gain involved.) Study up and carry proud!

Also, it sounds like the officer you spoke with knows the law on this, but some do not. Alwayscheck anyone's legal claim by reading the law yourself. "Trust, but verify." - R. Reagan

JTknives

imported post

its funny because every one i asked told me somthing diffrent. so i called the provo police dispatch and thay had a knolageable cop call me and chat. now do i have to remove my clip from the gun when im in a auto.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

No. When in a vehicle, the firearm must be unloaded (no round in chamber) and not concealed. Some say that having the firearm on your passenger seat is not concealed, but to be safe, hang it on a chain on your rear view mirror. ;)

Most of Utah's gun laws can be found here. http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE76/76_0C.htm

Just scroll down and read from 76-10-500 to 76-10-530. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or like Pave Pusher said, refer to Mr. Vilos' great book.

If you live near Salt Lake City, we are having a reporter from the L.A. Times interview us on Wednesday or Thursday. You are more than welcome to attend. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/9578.html

Again, welcome to OCDO! Nice Springfield by the way! Here is my next purchase.
PortedLarge.jpg

JTknives

imported post

very nice looking gun, where can one find one like it. i just got done jewelling my barrel and im going to fill the words on the slider with white paint.

swillden

imported post

JTknives wrote:
its funny because every one i asked told me somthing diffrent. so i called the provo police dispatch and thay had a knolageable cop call me and chat. now do i have to remove my clip from the gun when im in a auto
What exactly did the cop tell you? Police officers are notoriously unreliable on the subject of firearms law; you'll get more reliable information (complete with references to the relevant statutes) on this forum. I'm not saying the officer was wrong, just that you should doublecheck it.

As to your question, no you don't have to remove the magazine. However, you probably should take the gun off your hip. With the gun on your hip, it can be argued that it is concealed when you're sitting in a vehicle. One of the most compelling reasons for getting a CFP is so that you don't have to worry about handling the gun when you get in a car.

In a vehicle, without a CFP, you not only need to have the gun Utah-unloaded (chamber empty on your XD45 -- nice choice, BTW), but you also have to have it "securely encased", unless it is truly openly visible. "Securely encased" means putting it in some kind of closeable container. It doesn't have to be locked, but there has to be some zipper, latch, snap, etc. securing it.

You could put your XD45 on the dash and be sure you're not concealing, but that seems like a really bad place for a firearm unless you have some way to secure it there. Someone here once suggested bolting a Serpa holster to the dash, which would keep the weapon openly visible, easily accessible and solidly secured.

rocknsnow

imported post

Nice sidearm. I have the same color just in a 9mm. I love it. I have shot about 2000 rounds through mine now without a problem.

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I second the Mitch Vilos book. It is a MUST for understanding current gun laws. Best $20 I have ever spent. After reading it you will be SURE of the law, not just kinda sure. Welcome to the club.

combatcarry

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
<snip>

Again, welcome to OCDO! Nice Springfield by the way! Here is my next purchase.
PortedLarge.jpg
Just looking at that gun makes my ears hurt... :)

ScottyT

imported post

swillden wrote:
You could put your XD45 on the dash and be sure you're not concealing, but that seems like a really bad place for a firearm unless you have some way to secure it there. Someone here once suggested bolting a Serpa holster to the dash, which would keep the weapon openly visible, easily accessible and solidly secured.
I really like that idea, but since I have my permit(and concealing is not an issue), I would put it down by my right shin.

b1ack5mith

imported post

by the way kevin, remember you were showin me the ported barrels on the computer? well i was thinking about it... and actually you have to have the opening slots on the slide also :eek: or else, your gun is full of built up junk :eek:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

JTknives wrote:

1657.jpg

1661.jpg

a proud owner of an XD45

JTKnives, Did you finally get the pistol on your dash after trying so had on the way home after the dinner ????

We talked to Clark Aposhian (Ph# 801-560-4836) at the last Dinner @ Sweet Tomatoe and we asked about car carry for NON-PERMIT holders and he said that that you can have it UNloaded either on the passenger seat or even on the dash. On the way home I saw JTKnives (he is on the OpenCarry.org) placing his firearm on the dash
banana.gif
. Clark said that it's NOT readily accessible if the firearm is NOT loaded and NOT on your person. BCI agrees.

(BTW, Clark says that motorcycle is considered a vehicle and you CANNOT OC as NON-Permit Holder)

Good Luck OPEN CARRYING boys,

TJ

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
(BTW, Clark says that motorcycle is considered a vehicle and you CANNOT OC as NON-Permit Holder)

As long as the weapon is unloaded and visible, I see no problem with motorcycle OC.

[font="<!--"] 76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor. [/font]