• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana Licensed Gun Holder?

mdalliinm

Hello all. My husband and I are toying with the idea of moving to Indiana from New Mexico. Here, anyone can open carry a handgun. There isn't any need to be licensed, unless you want to conceal carry. In Indiana, do individual guns have to be licensed, or just the gun owner? In other words, do I have to be licensed for each individual gun, or if I have a license, can I carry any handgun? When it comes to concealed carry, do I need a separate license for that, or if I'm licensed, can I conceal carry/open carry at my discretion? Do handguns have to be registered in Indiana?

Can you tell me anything about Indiana law regarding riffles, shotguns, and semi-automatics? Throwing knives? Outdoor archery?

Thanks, in advance, for any helpful answers!

Wwwildthing

Indiana does not register weapons, they license gun owners.

Indiana does honor New Mexico's permit... so you can carry on that until you get established and determine if you wish to apply for a Indiana LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun).

Be advised that you MUST have a permit/license to carry here, either open or concealed, and the usual off-limit areas apply. Posted signs do NOT carry the weight of law, but can be grounds for criminal trespass (if asked to cover, cover - if asked to leave, leave).

The custom here is to carry concealed... so don't be surprised if you get hassled for open carry, even tho it's legal to do so (it has happened, but it's rare).

Can you tell me anything about Indiana law regarding rifles, shotguns, and semi-automatics? Throwing knives? Outdoor archery?

You'd have to be more specific in the info you want, but I'll leave you with this - there are public shooting ranges all over the state. Consult with the Indiana DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) for locations and times.

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Just a couple points of clarification:

Gun owners need not be licensed, only those who wish to carry or transport a handgun beyond their property or their fixed place of business. (IC 35-47-2-1)

You can carry a handgun on any state's permit while you are not an Indiana resident, but once you establish Indiana residency an Indiana LTCH is required. (IC 35-47-2-21)

No special requirements, restrictions or licensing for general carrying or transporting rifles, shotguns, semi-autos, archery, etc.

Short barrel shotguns are illegal here. (IC 35-47-5-4.1) Otherwise, standard NFA laws apply.

DNR rules, hunting regulations and caliber restrictions for taking game also still apply.

(Single bladed) throwing knives are fine but automatic opening knives (IC 35-47-5-2) and throwing stars (IC 35-47-5-12) are illegal here.

Further reading: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just a couple points of clarification:

Gun owners need not be licensed, only those who wish to carry or transport a handgun beyond their property or their fixed place of business.

You can carry a handgun on any state's permit while you are not an Indiana resident, but once you establish Indiana residency an Indiana LTCH is required.

No special requirements, restrictions or licensing for carrying or transporting rifles, shotguns, semi-autos, archery, etc.
Short barrel shotguns are illegal here. Otherwise, standard NFA laws apply.
Hunting regulations and caliber restrictions for taking game also still apply.

Throwing knives are fine but automatic opening knives and throwing stars are illegal here.

Re: any other state's permit - almost, but not quite.
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/indiana-ccw-state-laws.php

The other items should carry cites for the benefit of others.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/indiana-ccw-state-laws.php

Indiana does recognize any state's or foreign country's permit. States without carry permits shouldn't show up on your link of honored states.

IC 35-47-2-21
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

The other items should carry cites for the benefit of others.

I'll edit or add other cites tomorrow, thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

Indiana does recognize any state's or foreign country's permit. States without carry permits shouldn't show up on your link of honored states.

IC 35-47-2-21
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Appreciate the update/correction - my reference must be out of date as it indicated that neither Wisconsin nor Illinois permits were honored.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Appreciate the update/correction - my reference must be out of date as it indicated that neither Wisconsin nor Illinois permits were honored.

It may be up to date but I don't think either of those states issue a carry permit.

If they did, Indiana would honor it. (Illinois FOID is not considered a carry permit.)

Skippy

In Indiana, do individual guns have to be licensed, or just the gun owner?

If you have a license from another state, you have to carry according to the terms on that license (until you establish residency and have to have an Indiana resident license). For example, if it says "Holder may only carry a Glock 26, serial # 1234567" (like New York's license) then you can only carry that gun. Indiana's resident license, however, has no restrictions on what (or whose) handgun you carry, and as already noted, Indiana has no gun registration.

You can gain residency almost immediately, but the licensing process can take several weeks, so you should plan for the possibility of not being able to carry while you're waiting for your Indiana license to be processed.

IC 9-13-2-78
Indiana resident
Sec. 78. "Indiana resident" refers to a person who is one (1) of the following:
(1) A person who has been living in Indiana for at least one hundred eighty-three (183) days during a calendar year and who has a legal residence in another state. However, the term does not include a person who has been living in Indiana for any of the following purposes:

(A) Attending a postsecondary educational institution.
(B) Serving on active duty in the armed forces of the United States.

(2) A person who is living in Indiana if the person has no other legal residence.

(3) A person who is registered to vote in Indiana.

(4) A person who has a child enrolled in an elementary or a secondary school located in Indiana.

(5) A person who has more than one-half (1/2) of the person's gross income (as defined in Section 61 of the Internal Revenue Code) derived from sources in Indiana using the provisions applicable to determining the source of adjusted gross income that are set forth in IC 6-3-2-2. However, a person who is considered a resident under this subdivision is not a resident if the person proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the person is not a resident under subdivisions (1) through (4).

(6) A person who:

(A) is enrolled as a student of a truck driver training school;
(B) has legal residence in another state but is living in Indiana temporarily for the express purpose of taking a course of study from the truck driver training school; and
(C) intends to return to the person's state of residence upon completion of the course of study of the truck driver training school.

Last edited:

protect our rights

Hello all. My husband and I are toying with the idea of moving to Indiana from New Mexico. Here, anyone can open carry a handgun. There isn't any need to be licensed, unless you want to conceal carry. In Indiana, do individual guns have to be licensed, or just the gun owner? In other words, do I have to be licensed for each individual gun, or if I have a license, can I carry any handgun? When it comes to concealed carry, do I need a separate license for that, or if I'm licensed, can I conceal carry/open carry at my discretion? Do handguns have to be registered in Indiana?

Can you tell me anything about Indiana law regarding riffles, shotguns, and semi-automatics? Throwing knives? Outdoor archery?

Thanks, in advance, for any helpful answers!

Like said we honor EVERY other states permit( or w/e they offer). If you have a permit from Indiana or any other state you may carry anywhere except for: Federal Building (Post Office), court house , police station, school (K-12). Some local ordinances can restrict you from carrying on some local government building properties. (Though they have a couple bills that would make it legal to carry everywhere except buildings that have a courthouse attached to them, and schools (K-12)

protect our rights

The custom here is to carry concealed... so don't be surprised if you get hassled for open carry, even tho it's legal to do so (it has happened, but it's rare).

Exactly what we are trying to change here in Indiana. :D Slowly but surely we are desensitizing the public to the sight of law-abiding gun carrying individuals.

libra8

If you have a license from another state, you have to carry according to the terms on that license (until you establish residency and have to have an Indiana resident license). For example, if it says "Holder may only carry a Glock 26, serial # 1234567" (like New York's license) then you can only carry that gun. Indiana's resident license, however, has no restrictions on what (or whose) handgun you carry, and as already noted, Indiana has no gun registration.

You can gain residency almost immediately, but the licensing process can take several weeks, so you should plan for the possibility of not being able to carry while you're waiting for your Indiana license to be processed.

I'm from Jersey and we have some stupid gun laws. I think this is the stupidest gun law I have ever seen. :banghead:

cce1302

I'm from Jersey and we have some stupid gun laws. I think this is the stupidest gun law I have ever seen. :banghead:

Welcome to OCDO. Thank you for bringing up this thread for correction.

In the 4 years since it was originally posted, several things have changed. Open carriers are rarely harassed, switchblades are legal, police stations are not off limits, licensing is much quicker, and preemption of local ordinances is significantly stronger.

I have no idea whether the NY law is still in effect or there are stupider laws in New Jersey.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Thank you for bringing up this thread for correction.

In the 4 years since it was originally posted, several things have changed. Open carriers are rarely harassed, switchblades are legal, police stations are not off limits, licensing is much quicker, and preemption of local ordinances is significantly stronger.

I have no idea whether the NY law is still in effect or there are stupider laws in New Jersey.
:lol: +1