• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting 1st & 2nd Amendment rights article

TFred

imported post

Donna Darovich, the college's spokeswoman, said the students are permitted to voice their opinions in the "Free Speech" zone but will not be allowed to carry empty holsters anywhere on campus.
This doesn't pass the laugh test. There are probably J-frame or .380 Serpa type holsters out there that are difficult to distinguish at a glance from a blackberry or iPhone holster...

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

buster81 wrote:
"free speech zone". WTF??? Isn't that the entire country?

Not in the academic compound...er...campus.

Just that little spot where they will put the sweat boxes in years to come for the latter day heretics who dare to speak out in defiance of PC.

TFred

imported post

Citizen wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Just that little spot where they will put the sweat boxes in years to come for the latter day heretics who dare to speak out in defiance of PC.
That's sort of my take as well, conditioning students to accept that not all speech is equally protected, and it is acceptable to confine some of it to specific places and times so that it may be ridiculed as inappropriate.

If we could only harness the energy generated by the founders' spinning in their graves, we could reduce our need for imported oil...

TFred

TexasNative

imported post

ed wrote:
Donna Darovich said:
the students... will not be allowed to carry empty holsters anywhere on campus.
How do they get to decide THAT?
Haven't you heard? School administrators are omnipotent on their campuses. They have THE POWER!! KNEEL BEFORE ME, KNAVE!!

Sorry, got carried away there for a minute, thinking I was a Dean or something like that.

~ Boyd

darthmord

imported post

Honestly, I think this sort of action being taken by college campuses will only help us.

How?

Students are lawfully using their 1st Amendment rights to address gun issues. This apparently offends and bothers certain groups. Those certain groups are now progressing toward a civil rights violation (squelching / abridging 1st Amendment).

Thus we are left with "This group of people is preventing lawful use of 1st Amendment rights. They are preventing the people with firearms from using our rights to free speech. What will they do to you, the people without firearms?"

It will continue to build until such a time exists that they have performed a court actionable violation of the 1st Amendment (which has probably happened already). That is when it'll boil over. In attempting to protect / use 2nd Amendment rights, we end up being denied 1st Amendment rights. That spillage of effect brings a lot more people to the table as they'll be wronged too.

Try telling a reporter they are being barred from using their 'freedom of the press'. You'll see fur fly.

Neplusultra

imported post

These free speech zones get struck down every time they're challenged. See the organization "FIRE" and others. As far as the holster goes I think the school could make a stink but would easily loose since it is an "EMPTY" holster and presumably the student was not trying to intimidate anyone.

The bottom line is if you are not willing to stand up and suffer for your rights in the short run you will suffer in the long run :^).

Edit: Golly, I wish I was still in college and knew what I know now. Man would I have some fun!!!!

kle

imported post

Citizen wrote:
buster81 wrote:

3507665503_7dc591685c.jpg

I'm not kidding, I saw this in Hawaii (Diamondhead State Monument, on Oahu, near Waikiki) a month ago. I also did the same "WTF? I thought the First Amendment applied to the whole country!!!" and snapped a picture of it.

(the sign doesn't say that you need a permit to exercise your First Amendment rights, but that the area designated is where people can gather to exercise their 1A rights...the rub is that they set aside a special area just for that)

Neplusultra

imported post

kle wrote:
Citizen wrote:
buster81 wrote:

I'm not kidding, I saw this in Hawaii (Diamondhead State Monument, on Oahu, near Waikiki) a month ago. I also did the same "WTF? I thought the First Amendment applied to the whole country!!!" and snapped a picture of it.

(the sign doesn't say that you need a permit to exercise your First Amendment rights, but that the area designated is where people can gather to exercise their 1A rights...the rub is that they set aside a special area just for that)
IIRC, most former "free speech zones" are now being promoted as places where you can go hear people speak out... It still seems to me to be a way to condition people to limit their free speech. Demonstrations should always be in the location pertinent to the issue. Across the street from the political convention, Supreme Court, White House, whatever. NOT, down the road in some special barricaded "all purpose" area....

Chuckles

imported post

kle wrote:
Citizen wrote:
buster81 wrote:

First Amendment PERMIT AREA? If that's not an oxymoronin view ofour Constitution, I don't know what is!

paramedic70002

imported post

I understand not wanting one man's free speech to interfere with another man's vacation/travel/vocation (or whatever). I guess that is what these zones are for. Say what you want but stay out of the road and off the sidewalk. As long as they don't put you in a corner behind a tree, shouldn't be an issue.

UVA, when I was there, didn't have this problem. Any fruitcake could go to the open pavilion (somebody remind me the name of that place) and start pontificating about whatever he wanted. Usually an audience would show up, mostly for the entertainment.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So who's going to be the first to put up a "Second Amendment Permit Area"?

Oh, that's right, the Feds will be doing this to the National Parks before long. Cool! :cool:

GWRedDragon

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
I understand not wanting one man's free speech to interfere with another man's vacation/travel/vocation (or whatever). I guess that is what these zones are for. Say what you want but stay out of the road and off the sidewalk. As long as they don't put you in a corner behind a tree, shouldn't be an issue.
Free speech does not mean blocking traffic by walking in the road. If protesters stand in the middle of the street, they should be ticketed for jaywalking.