• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting issue in Hanover

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well....That was record time for an FOIA.

This email is in response to your request for records under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (the “Act”) received by this Office on May 7, 2015. You specifically referenced the response of "two Hanover Deputies on May 6, 2015 to investigate a gun in a parked car at Starbucks parking lot, 7297 Battle Hill Dr, Mechanicsville, VA 23111." You requested:

1. “All written text correspondence and reports either transmitted electronically or hardcopy, concerning that particular call.”
Please be advised that the Sheriff’s Office does not possess any such records. Pursuant to Virginia Code 2.2-3704 (B) (3), I would suggest that you contact the Hanover County Emergency Communications Center. They can be contacted at:

Hanover County Emergency Communications Center
7501 Library Drive
Hanover, VA 23069
Phone: (804) 365-6140

2. “The last name, first and middle initial and rank of both Deputies responding.”
· Sergeant XXXXXX
· Deputy XXXXXXXX

The Virginia Freedom of Information Act permits the County to make reasonable charges for the search time expended in supplying requested records. However, in the interest of public relations, the fees associated with this particular request have been waived. In the meantime, should you have any questions, please contact me
by phone or email, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Awesome, now you can call them by name :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Awesome, now you can call them by name :)

I knew the Deputy's Name Grape. She's talked to me before while I was OCing and never a word about the gun. Obviously. they were playing good cop, bad cop here but she has some brownie points.
There was no incident report made which means they just logged out of the call.

I suppose the moral of the story is if you are going to stick your nose in things that don't concern you, don't do it under color of law and the magic word goes a lot further than tough guy tactics.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP FOI Response This email is in response to your request for records under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (the “Act”) received by this Office on May 7, 2015. You specifically referenced the response of "two Hanover Deputies on May 6, 2015 to investigate a gun in a parked car at Starbucks parking lot, 7297 Battle Hill Dr, Mechanicsville, VA 23111."

Funny how VA LE can be very precise about the law of a records request, but somehow their thinking can go all soft and muddled when it comes to the 4th Amendment.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
BTW.....has it occurred to anyone that I was at a business that was targeted by anti's but didn't completely give in.....you reckon I was swatted?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
BTW.....has it occurred to anyone that I was at a business that was targeted by anti's but didn't completely give in.....you reckon I was swatted?

Could always FOIA for any calls about that location in the time frame. Think though that had that been the case, the deputies most likely would have talked to someone afterward.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hold on there just a minute, Sparky -

Some outastater came into Starbucks to whine, was told it was legal, and then called the deputies because they did not trust the barista?

And there is no record of that call - or even of the deputies contacting dispatch to clear the assignment call?

Sounds just a little bit fishy.

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Some outastater came into Starbucks to whine, was told it was legal, and then called the deputies because they did not trust the barista?

And there is no record of that call - or even of the deputies contacting dispatch to clear the assignment call?

stay safe.

What? You too? I haven't even made a post on this thread until now even though I find it of interest!

It's JoeSparky, Please! LOL

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

stay safe.

Welcome to the FOIA two step Skid. There was no report filed with the sheriff's office. No incident report, etc.
They've separated communications as a different department. They are the custodians of the call records and apparently who the call is cleared with. That takes a new FOIA.

It's like Henrico...they waste a lot of my time chasing the buck that was passed and...they can get a new research fee each time.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What? You too? I haven't even made a post on this thread until now even though I find it of interest!

Apparently you are too young to recognize the use of the term. One day when you are buying the Oulde Pharts Cardiac Care Unit Marching (cholesterol & gluten free) Chowder Society coffee I'll edumacate you.

stay safe.

solus

roflmao....

skid, seems the good folk out west are a bit testy about being improperly identified...or even when they aren't improperly identified...

this olde phart enjoy the innuendo about sparky...sorry joe didn't

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I remember Ol' Sparky well. Used to live at the Spring Street Hilton (the one with the revolving door) in Richmond. There were others, but none quite like our Sparky.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the FOIA two step Skid. There was no report filed with the sheriff's office. No incident report, etc.
They've separated communications as a different department. They are the custodians of the call records and apparently who the call is cleared with. That takes a new FOIA.

It's like Henrico...they waste a lot of my time chasing the buck that was passed and...they can get a new research fee each time.

Puts an entirely new perspective on divide and conquer.

HPmatt

Here's Old Sparky from Huntsville Texas.
Currently retired, but still functional if need be.

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 82

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Need to check on the meds of a few people. Calling someone "Sparky" and discussing "Old Sparky" are two different things.

But since we are on the topic of the other thing - anybody else get to walk into the room and run a hand over Old Spary? (And walk out again without your hair all frizzed.:D )

I know where Old Sparky (Va edition) is stored, as well as the last flogging post used in Va prisons.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Need to check on the meds of a few people. Calling someone "Sparky" and discussing "Old Sparky" are two different things.

But since we are on the topic of the other thing - anybody else get to walk into the room and run a hand over Old Spary? (And walk out again without your hair all frizzed.:D )

I know where Old Sparky (Va edition) is stored, as well as the last flogging post used in Va prisons.

stay safe.

Surprised that someone (DOC Director?) hasn't had it placed in front of his desk as the place for visitors to sit.

The flogging post is still actively used here............digital version on VA sub-forum.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let's see how long it takes one of the soccer mom's to call the cops today.

fX9e9B9.jpg

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I looked in the DFIG site but could not see anything regulating the trapping of soccer moms. I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to pollute your front fender.

stay safe.

solus

Surprised that someone (DOC Director?) hasn't had it placed in front of his desk as the place for visitors to sit.

The flogging post is still actively used here............digital version on VA sub-forum.

grape, you say this after another va forum member shows they have a trap in the passenger seat of his vehicle to catch trolls...ya'l aren't the kindest folk around are ya.

ipse