• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Negative Encounter with the Houston Fire Department

nonameisgood

Sounds like the fireworks stand was run by some firefighters, who called their buddies when you showed up with a gun on your hip. They don't know the law, so they thought you were trouble, because "everyone knows its illegal to carry a gun." The guys came down in a show of force, since the cops take forever to get anywhere. Now, had you been trouble, the town would need a new fire department, not just a couple of new guys. Just a thought.

28kfps

In Las Vegas, I believe it was Chicago visiting fire fighters told one of the open carry posters it was not legal to open carry. They were told nope your are incorrect. Long story short they call 911 with the gun owner standing there. After the 911 operator educated the fire fighter caller, they said they would never come to Las Vegas again if it was that out of control. Looks like there are a few cities that will be able to close up their police departments because their fire department has them covered.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
The city of Houston is a JOKE. They mayor has been up for recall. Has suspended two police officers cause they called the mayor to the carpet. I avoid that area when ever possible.....

Whom ever talked to you is/are frigging idiot(s)!!!

M

McX

if a group of firemen responded, and surrounded you, then began interpeting the law to you, you must have been detained by them. apparently they now have police authority, but little intelegence when it comes to the law.

chrsjhnsn

the whole scenario is almost unbelievable, that's why I believe it.

In some cases a Fireman can be LE, for instance arson investigators often have police powers but generally
do not operate outside of their main duty. Perhaps the Chief is also an arson investigator which means he does have LE authority.

If you don't get relief file a complaint with state troopers or Alaska gov.

Huck

I'm a retired Firefighter and Im here to tell you that those guys were WRONG! Any kind of law enforcement aint their business! FFs can co-operate with LEOs at a incident site if there's a need to and fire investigators do so as well if there's something suspicious about the cause of the fiire. BUT IT'S NOT A FIREFIGHTER'S PLACE TO CONFRONT SOMEONE ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE OC!

I'm unclear if these were Houston TX or Chicago IL Firefighters. Not like it matters, those jerks are a insult to the profession.

Badger Johnson

One reason to ALWAYS have your pocket recorder going when you OC (or even CC for that matter).

Glad you didn't get, uh, 'hosed', by them. ;)

murphyslaw

State Researcher
I'm a retired Firefighter and Im here to tell you that those guys were WRONG! Any kind of law enforcement aint their business! FFs can co-operate with LEOs at a incident site if there's a need to and fire investigators do so as well if there's something suspicious about the cause of the fiire. BUT IT'S NOT A FIREFIGHTER'S PLACE TO CONFRONT SOMEONE ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE OC!

I'm unclear if these were Houston TX or Chicago IL Firefighters. Not like it matters, those jerks are a insult to the profession.

This was in houston Alaska. It's a small town in the matamoros susitna valley.

Savage206

fireman? next time tell them it is none of their business and to go keep an eye on the BBQ pits in the park. If they try to tell you what to do tell them they have no authority AT ALL in regards to enforcing the law. They are FIREMAN. Unless you are somehow starting a fire with your firearm, then they can talk all they want and you can tell them to eat it and be on your way. WHo do they think they are?....

WalkingWolf

I remember once about 20 years ago a marine patrol officer pulled over a commercial truck. The driver stepped out of his vehicle read the side of the vehicle while the MPO was on the radio. He flipped the MPO the bird and then began walking back to his truck. The fight was on and when the gravel settled the driver found himself in Monroe county jail on felony resisting and fleeing charges. I also know several towns and especially airport public safety where FF and LEO's are the same.

Without knowing the charter of the city involved it is hard to say the authority of the FD in Houston Alaska. Being a small town it is very possible they have powers of arrest, and fireworks definitely falls into the jurisdiction of the FD. It is possible there are local or state laws restricting smoking and or firearms on the premisses of a fireworks vendor.

That said OP was leaving and the problem was solved. I would check ordinances and laws pertaining to fireworks before making complaints. If wrong it could land a person in court.

noname762

Sounds like the fireworks stand was run by some firefighters, who called their buddies when you showed up with a gun on your hip. They don't know the law, so they thought you were trouble, because "everyone knows its illegal to carry a gun." The guys came down in a show of force, since the cops take forever to get anywhere. Now, had you been trouble, the town would need a new fire department, not just a couple of new guys. Just a thought.

I concur.

Good name there fella..........