• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a triangular Sneaky Pete-type holster any more or less legal than rectangular?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Rules for this thread (as if I were boss):

If you're incapable of staying on topic, just don't post.
If you're incapable of being not a complete asshat, just don't post.

Is a triangular flap holster deemed to be printing in and of itself?

Keep in mind I don't give one flying elevator-located fornication about concealment or whether anyone knows I have a gun or not. That's not the point and I don't care.

Is a triangular Sneaky Pete-type holster any more or less legal in the State of Floriduh than a rectangular one?

Even if one might be able to guess I have a gun in there, does someone else's guess make me guilty of a crime?

All useful contributions are welcomed and appreciated. Being a giant dick is neither.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Found one for the OP, only $79...:banana::lol:

http://www.lobogunleather.com/20_full_flap_field_holster

tan_flap_field_1911-5.570850_std.jpg

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Found one for the OP, only $79...:banana::lol:

http://www.lobogunleather.com/20_full_flap_field_holster

Hmm, I guess mine will be less form-fitted and have a more appropriate flap that actually prevents it being seen. And, well, actually be a monolithic triangular shape...

Ya'll just want to see me get arrested.

I'll probably move to a State worth a damn before I bother with this. Ridiculous.

I guess it was my mistake to imagine that civilized, intelligent people would be found on an Internet Forum... I just have to remember, it's not the Internet's fault that people are crap. This is why Floriduh will never have OC.

Last edited:

notalawyer

Since we are talking legality, it really doesn't matter if you 'conceal' it with saran wrap.

With the recent change to 790.01 (which codified a 2013 Florida Supreme Court ruling), a LEO must know (or have PC to believe) that the individual is not licensed in order to lawfully detain (stop and frisk/terry stop/whatever you want to call it) an individual simply because he becomes aware of a concealed firearm.
That or he must have RS to support a reasonable suspicion that criminal activity (irrespective of the firearm) is afoot.

Laws of Florida - 2015-44 (CS/CS/SB 290) - Signed by Governor, May 21, 2015 - Effective Date: May 21, 2015

In pertinent part:
Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
Section 1. Section 790.01, Florida Statutes, is amended to read:

790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

. . .

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
ixtow,

Take a look at the bottom of the page that this link points to. Is this something like you're thinking about?

http://www.reenactor.net/units/151ri/weps/ruby_pistol.html

AD
Not quite as crude, but getting closer.

I mean to wet-form it over a block to get solid geometry from the heavy leather I'll be using. Might have built-in spare mag holder(s).

and/or a spot for a firesteel... I currently have a .5in x 6in firesteel hanging from my knife sheath. It's very jingly, but it keeps it handy...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Since we are talking legality, it really doesn't matter if you 'conceal' it with saran wrap.

With the recent change to 790.01 (which codified a 2013 Florida Supreme Court ruling), a LEO must know (or have PC to believe) that the individual is not licensed in order to lawfully detain (stop and frisk/terry stop/whatever you want to call it) an individual simply because he becomes aware of a concealed firearm.
That or he must have RS to support a reasonable suspicion that criminal activity (irrespective of the firearm) is afoot.

Laws of Florida - 2015-44 (CS/CS/SB 290) - Signed by Governor, May 21, 2015 - Effective Date: May 21, 2015

In pertinent part:
the dirty said:
Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:
Section 1. Section 790.01, Florida Statutes, is amended to read:

790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

. . .
Thanks for your considered input.

Being that this is new, it leaves one to ponder how much existing case law would be erased and need be re-discovered, painfully and expensively. Or how many cops know about it, or would give a damn if they did...

The remaining concern is that printing was manufactured in whole from the bench. Being that they created an entire concept out of thin air with no logic or justification of any kind whatsoever, it would be even less of a stretch to modify said fabrication to include "well, we can pretty well guess there's a gun in there..."

Wouldn't it be easier to just Open Carry? Oh, wait...

I'm going to give it a whirl, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna go badly for me...

This not being a front-burner project, who knows... Floriduh might turn green by the time I get it done...

...yeah right!

Last edited: