• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Open Carry Welcome In LGS?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have never been in a gun shop that banned customers from carrying of arms in their business.

I went into Cabellas one day and walked past the check-in guy. He started after me and caught up with me halfway to the ammo section. "Sir....." "Sir....". I rarely reply to that kind of thing, but he did catch up. "Will you be taking that firearm out of your holster Sir?" I replied, "I sure hope not." and continued on. No worries.

The thing in the pawnshop was a squirrelly little guy (SoCal transplant) that got upset. He sent the big guy who actually had a testicle (but only one) to go tell me to leave. I already had tacit permission to carry there from the Manager. I am a nice guy most of the time, but please, please do not attack me verbally (or any other way) as it is not appreciated. I tend to be rather forthright with my feelings when this happens. They were both straightened out by management later.

Lyndsy Simon

LGSs are the one place I will generally ignore posted signage when OCing. So far, I've only gotten called out on it once, and the guy wasn't someone I'd have wanted to support anyhow.

Dick's was interesting, though - there's a sign on the door saying all firearms must be unloaded and inspected at Customer Service. I went to the desk and asked them if I *really* had to unload my carry gun to shop there. They laughed and said it didn't apply to "anyone smart enough to question it".

dogshawred

LGSs are the one place I will generally ignore posted signage when OCing. So far, I've only gotten called out on it once, and the guy wasn't someone I'd have wanted to support anyhow.

Dick's was interesting, though - there's a sign on the door saying all firearms must be unloaded and inspected at Customer Service. I went to the desk and asked them if I *really* had to unload my carry gun to shop there. They laughed and said it didn't apply to "anyone smart enough to question it".

Fin Feather & Fur have the same type of sign posted. (regional chain in Ohio) They are referring to any weapon that is being brought in to be appraised, sold or repaired. Have never had anyone question my open carry in their facilities.

SD40VE

most of my LGS are OC friendly. one does have a sign stating no open carry, legal CC allowed. they had issue with people pulling their guns out for holster tryouts when looking for a new holster. as private property owners that can ban a certain kind of carry or carry all together.

one gives me a 5% discount on accessories because i am a dues paying member of michigan open carry

Last edited: