• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is that a K-9?

Wstar425

It's not just farmers that OC there and everybody doesn't live on an island. :p

I grew up on a farm, and I live on an island........actually a 1240 acre peninsula connected by one bridge and a strip of land consisting of a road.

For certain they were from Madison or one of the bedroom communities. I've OCed some down south. You don't always get noticed more, but when you do the neck snap is a lot more pronounced. I stop with my Mom on our yearly trip to Indiana somewhere around Janesville to Beloit because I refuse to spend any money in Illinois, other than for tolls.

Two years ago a women asked me if I was LE? Next question was do you really need to carry a gun? I asked if she knew who this woman I was with was, and she said no, maybe your mother? I replied she is one of the two most important people in the world and I'll defend her with my life! My Mom was not all that excited about me carrying a gun before this, but later I heard from one of her friends that she was telling people about it, and pretty happy. She has not said anything to me, but she no longer balks or makes a fuss about me being armed.

I'd like to say "I wouldn't defend her with my life, but I'd for sure defend her with yours", but I think maybe that's a little too strong and antagonist.

Wstar425

Mt. Horeb, or Mt. Horrible as I call it, was one of the first, if not the first school in Wisconsin to embrace the transgender bathroom issue in Wisconsin. This happened a couple of months ago, before the directive came down from the tyrant anyhow. My wife had applied for the District Administrator job there as well as our former pastor had taken a job there two years ago. A couple of gay/lesbians on the board I guess. Anyway, they got it done before it was mandated and jumped in willingly with both feet.

On another note did 3 walks past the Windmill ice cream shoppe this weekend. Practiced off leash stay while going in for water. Had several dog conversations and no gun conversations other than one woman asked if she could pet my dog as she wasn't sure if I was LE since she saw my gun. After I said absolutely, she pet the dog and we talked dogs for 15 minutes. No further mention was made of the firearm.

I was able to use the "she's a family pet, very friendly, and you are welcome to pet her" line a half dozen times. Seems to be working well. Not sure if people are asking out of respect, suspect a GSD is a police dog, notice the firearm, or some combination. I never start a conversation about my firearm, but I most certainly talk about OC if someone pursues that.

Last edited:

Wstar425

That's the best way, IMHO.

I'm for the most part, modifying my "presentation" when asked about my firearm on my hip. I try to start out with the premise that people are, if not neutral, interested in the truth. For the most part, I have found that to be the case. I'm guessing some people assume I'm LE, and don't pursue the issue. Other times you can just see the people almost longing to ask about petting her. If I hear some kids talking to Mom about it, but no actions taken I have gone over and informed them that she can be pet. Adults are, well, adults, and if you assume incorrectly that is on you and not me. For the most part I do my thing, say hello if eye contact is made, but keep moving otherwise. This is a place near me with distractions (people). She's almost 100 percent when it's just the two of us, but people are once in a while too much and I don't yet trust her if other dogs are around. If she breaks her stay it is to come directly to me, she doesn't wander around, bother people or try to run away or go on the road. She is a GEM!

utbagpiper

Banned
I was able to use the "she's a family pet, very friendly, and you are welcome to pet her" line a half dozen times. Seems to be working well.

I'm glad that is working well for you.

Sounds like you are doing a lot to help normalize OC in your community.

Charles

Wstar425

My canine has become quite the chipmunk destructor. I think maybe it's the babies that are leaving the nest and not quite wise to the ways of the world? And never gonna be. I also must brag a bit on my training abilities as she has also become quite expert at treeing squirrels! Has not caught one of them yet. I'm currently working on getting her to go up there (up the tree) and "get them", but we have reached somewhat of a snag in progress, for the moment, on that front.

On a serious note, the free range chipmunk chasing in the woods is becoming a bit of a distraction with the "stay" command at the Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe as there are a bunch of chipmunks around there, kinda tame as people feed them. I suspect my dog killing a chipmunk in front of a bunch of kids eating ice cream would not go over too well

On the downside, in the pursuit of chipmunks, plants, shrubs, bushes, small trees, bikes, lawn mowers, grills, motorcycles, and anything else weighing less than about 500 pounds is fair game for destruction if chosen as a hiding spot.

Wstar425

Walking the streets of downtown Abbotsford, WI (what's left of it) with canine on short leash. Super skinny woman steps out of a bar to have a smoke. Could not convince her I was not some type of police officer. Could not convince her that my open carry of a firearm was legal. Said I made her nervous. (I bet!) Got asked if I was a History expert at one point in the discussion, after I mentioned it has been legal since 1848. Not sure, but suspect meth might have been involved, somewhere in the thought process. Just a hunch, not saying all skinny people are meth heads. Anyway, wife rode back from around the corner to check on my lack of progress, and we proceeded on with our stroll.

A couple of days earlier I was walking with canine, on the street opposite of the school. Local police car passed me going in the other direction, did a u turn at the end of the block and paced me for about 10 steps, then rolled on. No contact was made or attempted. Small town, I'm guessing way more people know of me, than I know of them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I carried a 7' snake around for awhile, a boy asked if it was a snake.

I told him it was a puppy.

His father thanked me for that.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

071015-stabler-personal.jpg

I did not know he was that tall.