• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the BILO center posted?

SovereignAxe

This afternoon I plan on going to the BILO center to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra play there. I know I can't OC in SC, and I know that their official policy is no weapons allowed, and that no guns signs have the weight of law. But my question is: do they actually have signs posted at the entrance? I doubt I'll be able to go up to the door before I park.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Are you referring to me, or the OP?

If the former, the sign I saw was clearly not compliant, as it was less than 7", text only, and located in the wrong position.

PistolPackingMomma

You are clearly confused, sugar.

I said;

I've only ever seen a non-compliant "no concealed weapons" posted at one location.

I did NOT claim that all locations were posted, with either compliant or non compliant signs. Merely my experience with a specific store; which you somehow construed to mean something else entirely.

RK3369

obviously too late now..............

but it's likely to be posted because it is owned by a special purpose governmental entity. Most gov't bldgs. I've seen are posted.

John Canuck

The Bon Secours Wellness Arena is a Greenville Arena District managed facility. The Greenville Arena District Board is a political subdivision of the State of South Carolina.

http://bonsecoursarena.com/about_bsw.php

It seems like it should be covered under preemption.

No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in the State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance that regulates or attempts to regulate:

(1) the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things;

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

RK3369

well, it may also be a matter of lack of enforcement of the regs...........

I work for a special purpose governmental entity, and our buildings are posted "no concealable weapons allowed" with the proper signage. Also, the Charleston County Office Building has signs posted and you have to pass through metal detectors to enter. I guess I'd call that a restriction of the right to carry. So I guess that state legislation is not being actively enforced, at least as far as dealing with local county government and what they are or are not doing.

John Canuck

I work for a special purpose governmental entity, and our buildings are posted "no concealable weapons allowed" with the proper signage. Also, the Charleston County Office Building has signs posted and you have to pass through metal detectors to enter. I guess I'd call that a restriction of the right to carry. So I guess that state legislation is not being actively enforced, at least as far as dealing with local county government and what they are or are not doing.

Is it a building in the list of prohibited places?

RK3369

yes, ..............

Is it a building in the list of prohibited places?

however we post the signs because it is a dual purpose building, office of a special purpose governmental entity, and also a residential building. Without the signs, it would be easy for someone to mistake the fact that the entity offices are onsite. But that doesn't mean that without the signs, its legal to carry concealed in the building. It's not simply because it contains the administrative offices of the special purpose entity. The signs are to identify it as such, because it is primarily a residential facility to begin with.

On the other hand, I believe any building or property owner in SC can prohibit concealed carry simply by posting the appropriate signs.

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

HISTORY: 1996 Act No. 464, Section 8.

SECTION 23-31-225. Carrying concealed weapons into residences or dwellings.

No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate. A person who violates this provision is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.

Last edited:

John Canuck

I see. It's sad that the preemption statute is so weak here. I still don't see how the arena can be posted. I'll take a walk next time I'm down that way.

Last edited:

RK3369

I think................

I see. It's sad that the preemption statute is so weak here. I still don't see how the arena can be posted. I'll take a walk next time I'm down that way.

No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in the State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance that regulates or attempts to regulate:

(1) the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things;

it's an effort by the state to keep all the control to itself, but also to allow the right of an individual to determine whether or not they want to own or carry a weapon. I think in this area (Coastal SC) several of the cities and towns might be "convinced" to enact local statutes affecting the right to carry. The City of Charleston just passed a local statue prohibiting texting while driving. Not that I disagree with that (I think it's dangerous to begin with because of distracted drivers), but the fact that a locality can do that basically gives up the individual's or the states right or ability to regulate what can or can't be done.

The prohibitions against carrying in government buildings are part of the state regulations, not local, so the state has already determined that it's a no no to bring a concealed weapon into those locations. I think I'd rather have the state legislature decide those issues for the entire state, as opposed to having individual localities deciding what is and is not allowable in that regard. The state statutes still give the individual the right to decide the issue with respect to their own personal and real property, though.

John Canuck

snip
The prohibitions against carrying in government buildings are part of the state regulations, not local, so the state has already determined that it's a no no to bring a concealed weapon into those locations. I think I'd rather have the state legislature decide those issues for the entire state, as opposed to having individual localities deciding what is and is not allowable in that regard. The state statutes still give the individual the right to decide the issue with respect to their own personal and real property, though.

Yes, I'm aware of what preemption is intended to do. Not all government buildings are listed as prohibited places. Those that are not listed as prohibited should be covered under pre-emption.

In this particular case, the Greenville Area Disctrict Board appears to conduct their meetings in the arena if anyone cares.

The board operates, maintains, and equips the Bi-Lo Center, may acquire real estate, construct, and equip additional building to carry out the purposes for which the special purpose district was created.

This Board meets the third Tuesday of the month at the Bi-Lo Center, 650 N. Academy Street, at 4:00 p.m.

http://greenvillecounty.org/County_Council/boards_commissions/greenville_arena_district.asp

Last edited:

hp-hobo

snip

Yes, I'm aware of what preemption is intended to do. Not all government buildings are listed as prohibited places. Those that are not listed as prohibited should be covered under pre-emption.

In this particular case, the Greenville Area Disctrict Board appears to conduct their meetings in the arena if anyone cares.

http://greenvillecounty.org/County_Council/boards_commissions/greenville_arena_district.asp
Well yeah, unfortunately they pretty much are...

"SECTION 16-23-420. Possession of firearm on school property; concealed weapons.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution, or in any publicly owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property. The provisions of this subsection related to any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution, do not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle."

Now, it could certainly be argued that not all "government buildings" are "publicly owned". But I think the ones that aren't are certainly in the minority.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

John Canuck

Thanks for the clarification. I like it when I learn things. I also like how it's buried under the section title "Possession of firearm on school property".

As it turns out, it doesn't matter if they have signs or not. :(