• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It IS Not Over Yet In Racine...

Outdoorsman1

A while back the Mayor issued and executive order banning firearms in all city buildings, funtions on city property, etc...

Looks like there might be still be some hope...

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/a56538fa-48e1-11e1-ae8a-0019bb2963f4.html

At the same time, Mayor John Dickert issued an executive order, exempting those in law enforcement, banning weapons in city buildings and at special events on city property. But there is no actual way of enforcing the ban unless there is an ordinance in place.

I was born and rasied in Racine, but "got outa threre" about 2 years ago.... So this is post is for those still there...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

protias

I'll have to use this for Sussex, but I doubt they'll listen, especially when they are trying to entice businesses to come in.

MKEgal

there is no actual way of enforcing the ban unless there is an ordinance in place
:confused: That's not correct. State law provides penalties for trespassing.
See 943.13 (1m)(c)(4)
It's a class B forfeiture [939.52(3)(b)] - up to $1000 fine.
There's no reason to duplicate effort by enacting a local ordinance.
It won't be any more illegal by having a city ordinance, and it can't be any more illegal because of state preemption of all things firearm.

The only good thing about it is that it's not a crime, so the state can't (legally) seize & destroy your property (pistol). I'm sure some place will try, & will make the citizens' life difficult & expensive to get the municipality to stop doing something illegal.

Last edited: