• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It was bound to happen sooner or later first bad open carry exp.

john118242

imported post

Jay wrote:
Jay wrote:
Well I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Several weeks ago I opened a new bank account at Lake Sunapee Bank on Heater Rd in Lebanon. I have gone in there several times since then open carrying a firearm. Well yesterday as I was standing at the counter conducting my banking business. The bank manager walked over to the window, and said Jay can you please not bring and pointed to the side of her hip. She could see I was not happy by the look on my face, but I said okay and left. Not that I did not want to talk to her about it but if I stayed to talked to her I would have been late for an appointment I was on my way to. So last night I sent her an email which I have attached for you all to review... Any comments or suggestions appreciated... As of this post I have not had a response back from her but as soon as I do I will update.

Dear Mindy,

I wanted to speak to you in regards to me and your request to not carry a firearm at your branch while I am doing my banking. I actually wanted to discuss this with you at the time, but had a meeting that I needed to attend and was pressed for time. I am not sending this email to upset you or make you upset however I have a few questions and a couple of statements.

I was curious if my constitutional protected right to carry a firearm except when doing business at Lake Sunapee Bank was your policy or corporate policy?

If it is not your policy and it is a corporate policy may I please have the email address of whom I may contact to express my dissatisfaction of this policy?

With that out of the way I would like to educate you on some facts and personal beliefs I am an advocate for the right to bear arms. I think by my somber way of doing my banking you would have realized I carry in the open, and nothing more. I do not act in an alarming way, I do not play with my firearm, I carry it holstered conduct my business and leave. I carry a handgun for my own personal protection, and so everyone knows I am not afraid to protect myself should the need arise. I hope everyday that need never comes, but I like to know I have it in case it should. I know that I would probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightening then something happening at your bank the exact time that I am there but still it could, and it is nice to know that I am protected. I do have a license to carry a firearm by the police chief even though by state law I am not required to have one because I choose to carry my firearm in the open. If you or corporate do not wish to allow law abiding citizens to carry a firearm while conducting business at Lake Sunapee Bank you should post a sign on your front door so we (law abiding citizens) are aware of it. This is going to sound harsh but I want you to understand where I am going with this. When you post the sign that weapons are not permitted in your bank you should also post a sign that reads "Criminals please come rob us because we do not allow our law abiding banking customers to legally carry firearms while doing business in our bank."

There are no laws in the state of New Hampshire or at the Federal level that say I can not carry a firearm while in a bank. However with that in mind you and/or corporate is 100% within your right to tell me not to bank with a firearm. If this is your policy I hope you reconsider? If this is corporate policy please disregard this message, and tell me whom I can speak with? If this policy remains in effect I will close my accounts, and take my business else where. There are no hard feelings, but I do not have to agree with your policy and/or use a bank that does not allow me to legally protect myself. I am actually kind of shocked that you told me not to carry because I carry my firearm everywhere I go in the open including my place of employment, and you are the first person to ever tell me I could not carry in their establishment.

Waiting to hear back from you.

Regards,

Jay

Well I just wanted to give everyone an update I received a phone call today from Mindy the bank manager from Lake Sunapee Bank. When she received my email she contacted the bank president and their security team. She apologized to me numerous times for being ignorant of the laws of New Hampshire. They do not want to lose me as a customer, and I am (and any law abiding citizen) is more then welcome to carry a firearm when doing my (their) banking at Lake Sunapee Bank, and the bank supports my (our) right to bear arms.
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
doesint it feel great when some one admits there wrong? :):celebrate awesome awesome awesome. i absolutely love people who admit it also .

Mrgrn

Jay wrote: Well I just wanted to give everyone an update I received a phone call today from Mindy the bank manager from Lake Sunapee Bank. When she received my email she contacted the bank president and their security team. She apologized to me numerous times for being ignorant of the laws of New Hampshire. They do not want to lose me as a customer, and I am (and any law abiding citizen) is more then welcome to carry a firearm when doing my (their) banking at Lake Sunapee Bank, and the bank supports my (our) right to bear arms.
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

That is great because i frequent Lake Sunapee bank in Sunapee, New london, as well as Andover all the time and have never had a issue

Dreamer

im just curious but arnt banks federal? just wondering im new to this? is it normaly legal to oc in banks?

Not only are all banks private corporations, but so are ALL credit unions--even the "military" ones like Navy Federal.

And another thing many people don't know is that the Federal Reserve Banks are ALSO privately-held INTERNATIONAL corporations. They are no more "federal" than Federal Express...

Privately-held central banks are the greatest threat to Liberty on the planet. When the government (and the People) hand over control of the issuance of currency and credit to private central banks, complete economic enslavement will invariably occur...

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." --Thomas Jefferson

"The money power preys upon the nation in time of peace and conspires against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me, and causes me to tremble for the safety of our country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the republic is destroyed. --Abraham Lincoln

Anvil

Great job Jay, you did handle the situation well.
A great outcome for sure, and now you have an understanding from the bank president and a few more gun related laws being taught to the less informed, such as Mindy.
It probably didn't hurt that you have several hundred thousand dollars in accounts with that bank.