• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I've got an idea for businesses that have a no gun policy..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So every one in a while I hear about restaurants and other businesses that have no gun policies for less than logical reasons. The general consensus on here is that if an owner or manager asks you to leave, you should make the point that they are going to lose your business. While this is a good point, a lot of managers and owners don't always get it, or they just don't care...so I propose this idea:

Next time you guys have an OC dinner or the like, take a trip to a restaurant or small business that has been known to kick people out for carrying. Have the majority of the peoplescatterin carrying concealed (or not at all), making it look like normal business. Browse around and shop, or sit down and just order drinks while you "wait for friends". Once you've got a good amount of people in there, have one or two guys walk in openly carrying. Hopefully they will be approached and asked to leave or disarm. They should explain that they understand and that is their right, but they'll be losing business over the matter, then leave.All at once the other dozen or so people walk out at the same time, and the business watches the majority of their patrons disappear.

Now granted this wouldn't work in a big store like wal-mart, but restaurants and smaller businesses will definitely see a march of dollar signs going in the wrong direction. What do you guys think?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm going to play devil's advocate here:

The OCers would have to be loud about it, or cause a scene, because if you are trying to make it look like coincidence, how else would the people who are CCing going to know what's going on? And how would the workers/owners know that the reason the CCers who just happened to be there randomly are leaving because of that? Would they all go from CC to OC?

And don't we want to be honest? This almost feels like you are lying to someone and trying to mislead them. Or like we'd be trying to bully them into changing. And a bunch of CCers allchanging over to OCat once could induce panic and look threatening? I don't agree with the banning of guns from establishments, but that is their right.

Overall, good effort, but I would not participate in something like this. I prefer to politely tell them why I will not be patronizing their business, pass the word on to other gun owners around, and let them go individually and also explain why they cannot patronize a business that isa CPZ. (criminal protection zone) If I'm wrong, let me know why; this is just my first impression of this.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Good points. I didn't suggest anyone go from concealed to open for the exact reason you stated. As far as making a scene to make it look real, you really wouldn't have to. The point isn't to make the manager think everyone in the store randomly decided they were going to leave. The point is for them to see their store go from full to almost empty. If they're not smart enough to realize whats going on, some of the people walking out can simply tell them why they're leaving.

When I was a kid, my dad, being a union worker, took us to a "sit in" at a restaurant who was employing non-union workers. We filled the restaurant up and did nothing more than order drinks and maybe a cheap appetizer. It cost the restaurant money since we were taking up tables, AND it showed them how many people there were that apposed what they were doing. It worked very well.

Does that clarify some things? It's not meant to be malicious or deceitful, it's meant to peaceably make a point. To show them first hand that their business is going to suffer because of their decision.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Something about it still doesn't sit right, but I don't know why, so maybe it's just me.

Particle

imported post

I don't see the problem. If they don't harass anyone then enjoy a good meal. If they do, then leave. It's not like you're ONLY there to get kicked out. You're primarily there just to eat and talk about OC like normal.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Particle wrote:
I don't see the problem. If they don't harass anyone then enjoy a good meal. If they do, then leave. It's not like you're ONLY there to get kicked out. You're primarily there just to eat and talk about OC like normal.

lol Well if the business wasn't known for kicking absolutely everyone out who carried, then it wouldn't be a good target. There would be the off chance that they choose that day to not say anything, but that would ruin the plan :D.

To give another example, me and a group of friends were walking down the waterfront in Morehead City, NC one night, and we were talking about being hungry. We stopped to look at the menu of a resturant, and a woman came out and started telling us how hungry we looked and how we should stop and eat :D(she was being a goof, but it was funny). We were about to go in when I noticed there was alcohol on the menu (here in NC I can't carry if they serve alcohol), and I said "hey guys, we can't go here, they serve alcohol". She looked at me funny and said "what, you guys don't drink?!" I turned to show her my right side and said "we do, but the law says I can't carry in a place that serves alcohol". She looked at the crowd of people that were about to go into her resturant and said "oh...I didn't know that :?". I could see from the look on her face that she immediately hated that law lol.

This is the kind of reaction we should try to get. We want them to go from thinking "wow, business is great today!!" straight to "holy crap, I kicked one guy out and now there's no one here :(". Who knows, they may even stop one of us and say "hey, whats going on?!" and ask us to come back lol. :)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have to disagree. When I go out, I don't want a reaction. I want to go about my business. I'm not out to punish people, or businesses. I'm out to enjoy a meal, my shopping, my recreation, whatever, and have the means to protect me and mine while I'm at it.

I truly am disapopinted - and sometimes irate - if something happens to interfere with that.

Now, your NC story -- I feel sorry for that proprietor. She obviously wasn't doing anything to make you want to hurt her business.

PT111

imported post

Your story about the restaurant in NC that I think it should be up to the owner to decide. In SC Hospitals/Medical offices and Churches are off limits but if permission from whoever is in charge then it is permitted. In your case of the restaurant it could be off-limits however the lady could have said come on in, you have permission. This would have really made you feel much better.

It would take the problem from those owners that do not want guns where they would be covered by law but allow them to make exceptions. Could really determine who is pro gun or not. Just a thought.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, I felt bad for her, too. I hope that it made her realize that there were laws that hurt her business, so we've got one more person voting in the right direction.

I agree that the "live and let live (or die)" philosophy is a good one, and thats what I usually practice. I just think this would be a good way to get the point across to business owners that make the decision w/o really considering the consequences.