• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge rules for the 2A

Emtp8383

Wow. The plaintiff's brief is exceptionally well written. It looks like Md will be a shall issue state, at least for awhile. I wonder if the AG will let it go? I'd say no. You have to be an especially arrogant and wicked person to become AG in any state.

I agree. Comparing the two briefs, the states looks closer to a high school paper. The reply blows them away, not only in the arguments but just the overall writing.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Zach,

What part of "encouraging illegal activity is not allowed here" do you not understand? That doesn't mean throw an insult in & then ask a question that's roughly the same question asked differently.

KBCraig

MSP records all sales and transfers in MD. They record your personal info, Serial number, model, caliber of the firearm.

The only exception is if you have legally acquired firearms outside MD and them become a resident. There is no legal requirement to "register" those. Mags greater than 20 rounds are allowed for possession but not purchase in MD. I buy mine in VA. Totally legal.

MSP doesn't call their process registration but of course it's "de facto" registration.

Shotguns and HBAR AR 15's and certain other long guns are exempt. There is a list of this. Google it.

This would technically be called a purchase registry. Pennsylvania has a similar system, even though registration is banned there.

It's not "registration" unless the only legal way for you to own it, is to register it. Under registration, the state has a complete list of all guns you legally own.

Maryland is a seriously messed up state for gun owners.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
There are currently 2 amicus birefs that were filed today, for the Plaintiff/Appellee.

One is from the NRA and the other is from Buckeye Firearms.

Can't upload as usual because forum file limts exceeded.

ETA: Other groups and 14 states have now joined in amicus filings in favor of appelees (Woolard/SAF

well written and presented IMO

see Gray's link below.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
Appellants file brief

Nothing new here. Same old tired arguments from the fantasy world of AG Doug Gansler

As usual file to big to upload. Maybe Gray will stop by with his link.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Shotguns and HBAR AR 15's and certain other long guns are exempt. There is a list of this. Google it.

As are ALL AR-10s, or any AR-platform rifle that is factory-chambered for anything bigger than .223.

Like THAT makes any sense. But then again, this IS Maryland gun law we are talking about there...

Dreamer

So hopefully, the Moore v Madigan decision in the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will play in our favor, now that a Federal Court has ruled that the right to carry does in fact exist outside the home, and that bans (or de-facto effective bans) are unconstitutional.

Judge Richard Posner wrote in the court's majority opinion, which includes gems like this:

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside. The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense."

That sort of rhetoric must be making [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Douglas F. Gansler's and[/FONT] Marcus L. Brown's heads spin like the Exorcist.

Pray for Freedom, folks. And keep working for Liberty--it is within our grasp...

Emtp8383

How will the Kachalsky ruling in the 2nd Circuit affect the Woollard case in the 4th circuit?
The 2nd Circuit feels that requiring to show "proper cause" for carrying a handgun is not unconstitutional.
If Woollard case goes in our favor would that set up a good chance that this will go to SCOTUS because of conflicting rulings?

markand

Not a lawyer, but I believe you're correct. Opposing rulings in the 2nd and 4th circuits would indeed present a strong reason for SCOTUS to hear appeals. Even if the rulings aren't opposing (that is, if Wollard is reversed by the full 4th circuit), I would expect SCOTUS appeals. Hope those appeals hit before Obama has an opportunity to replace another SCOTUS justice.