• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge Walter H. Rice opinion on OC/CC

RCall

In a story by Dayton Daily News, U.S. District Court Judge Walter H. Rice (Dayton) speaks out against open and concealed carry:

"I think open carry (and concealed-carry) laws, with all due deference to the Second Amendment, which I support…are dangerous to any community because of the epidemic of mental health issues throughout this country,” he said. “Putting guns in the hands of mentally incompetent people is a recipe for disaster."

Full story here: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...n-bring-handguns-work/KfO9kf2lLmpq4LzAgAAiRO/

Brian D.

Of course the judge is presumed mentally competent, but is he? Note also the recission of the SSA/VA prohibition of guns to citizens that have surrendered their financial decisions to a professional.

Beware the psychologization of dissent.

{Channeling Barney Fife}: "He's a nut, Andy!"

Rice was an end-of-term appointee of Jimmah Cahtuh. The judge has been left-winging it on the job ever since, across the spectrum of issues that get in front of him. My county's prosecutor once described Rice's courtroom as a black hole. The judge has taken as much as eight years to hear and decide on death penalty cases. If memory serves, Rice was the last judge to force a school busing decree on some local districts; by then pretty much all other fed judges had figured out it was a lousy idea that helped no one.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Rice said Ohio’s expansion of open carry and concealed-carry laws concern him.

“I think open carry (and concealed-carry) laws, with all due deference to the Second Amendment, which I support…are dangerous to any community because of the epidemic of mental health issues throughout this country,” he said. “Putting guns in the hands of mentally incompetent people is a recipe for disaster.”
But, an attorney arguing that his client's actions are bizarre, clearly crazy and outside the norm is (per Rice) no excuse for why a person didn't pay federal income taxes.