• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judges orders Newton chief to issue license, pay attorney fees

KBCraig

This is what happens when a transplanted Massachusetts police chief fails to understand that licenses in NH are not subject to the whims of the chief.

http://www.pgnh.org/superior_court_...e_gun_license_and_pay_attorney_fees_and_costs

[Posted Friday, April 6, 2012, at 12:30 p.m.] In a court case that should give notice to every police chief in New Hampshire to obey the law on issuing concealed carry licenses, Rockingham County Superior Court Judge Kenneth R. McHugh ordered Newton Police Chief Lawrence Streeter to issue Robert J. Ferrara’s concealed carry license (License to Carry) and awarded attorney fees and costs. Under New Hampshire law (RSA 159:6-f), an issuing authority -- typically the police chief -- may be personally liable to pay reasonable attorney fees and costs for violating the state law on issuing licenses (RSA 159:6). In this case, the Town of Newton was also sued and could be held responsible to pay as well.

Jared

What was the reason for the chief not issuing, was he doing this to all residents? Or was there something in the history of the applicant that the chief was trying use against him to deny him a license under the suitability clause?

nhsig220

What was the reason for the chief not issuing, was he doing this to all residents? Or was there something in the history of the applicant that the chief was trying use against him to deny him a license under the suitability clause?

He was being a masshole.

BlackBull

This is what happens when a transplanted Massachusetts police chief fails to understand that licenses in NH are not subject to the whims of the chief.

http://www.pgnh.org/superior_court_...e_gun_license_and_pay_attorney_fees_and_costs

[Posted Friday, April 6, 2012, at 12:30 p.m.] In a court case that should give notice to every police chief in New Hampshire to obey the law on issuing concealed carry licenses, Rockingham County Superior Court Judge Kenneth R. McHugh ordered Newton Police Chief Lawrence Streeter to issue Robert J. Ferrara’s concealed carry license (License to Carry) and awarded attorney fees and costs. Under New Hampshire law (RSA 159:6-f), an issuing authority -- typically the police chief -- may be personally liable to pay reasonable attorney fees and costs for violating the state law on issuing licenses (RSA 159:6). In this case, the Town of Newton was also sued and could be held responsible to pay as well.

[Posted Friday, April 13, 2012] This isn't the first time Chief Streeter has done this and lost. I was falsely charged with a crime by Kelly Ayotte, which was a retaliatory First Amendment arrest for speaking out and trying to expose a racially biased child custody decision where the Brentwood Family Court used my son's race and skin color to determine where he would live for school purposes. The NH Supreme Court refused to hear my appeal of the Title IV Civil Right violation and refused to publish an opinion as to why it affirmed the Family Court decision. Streeter was sued by me in 2007 for giving me vague reasoning for denying renewal of my license to carry after I was acquitted of the false state criminal charges. The judge dismissed the charges at the end of the State's case. He ruled that Ayotte and her people could not even meet one element of the criminal charges brought against me. I never had to put on a legal defense. Streeter first withheld returning my firearms for 47 days, then denied renewal of my license to carry. He claimed I was "an unsuitable person" despite the fact that I did not have a criminal record. I sued in Plaistow District Court and the judge agreed with me that he failed to give a specific reason(s) for denial and ordered Streeter to turn over all the evidence he was using to justify his decision. After a hearing, Judge Patton found that Streeter had no justifiable reason for denial and ordered him to issue the license to carry. Streeter waited a month before issuing the license and only did it after I asked for a notice to show cause why he should not be found in contempt of court. Larry Streeter does not like to follow the laws or the constitution. He does not respect the rights of citizens. He's got a very bad track record and should have been fired for a number of other reasons, but is being protected by Ayotte and her predecessor Delaney because he's willing to do their dirty work. He's a rogue and racist cop. I know because I spent 27 years in law enforcement myself at the military, federal and local level. BlackBull, Master of Arts, Criminal Justice. [/QUOTE]

doobie

That is one chief who needs to be fired and sent back to MA. Maybe we should have an OC event over in Newton around the police department someday.

FIVETWOSEVEN

Somersworth Police Department's Chief doesn't issue Pistol Permits to those under 21. Currently he is unchallenged and for the time being, I'm not going to push the issue.

Rattrapper

I made a couple of comments about this on another forum.

Here in this area of New England we have what many of us call "Swamp Yankees". These are folks from the area who have an old dislike for anyone who is Italian or have Italian sounding names, They have other prejudices as well. The person who applied for the license was named "Ferrera" though he may or may not be Italian, that is enough for these folks. I am not saying that this is the reason that he was denied the license but it has all the makings of it, especially since the chief could not come up with any reason for the denial. If you look at the map of where Newton, NH is and where Streeter was the chief before, you will see that it is from the rural coastal region of both states.

This is only my opinion based on the fact that I have experienced this as well from from some of the "Old New England Families" as well. Yes I am Italian.

So did the chief finally pay up?

Last edited: