• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

June 6 Prayers

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
June 6, 1944 - a day that we should always remember and pay our solemn respects to all that gave of themselves. Some gave all, all gave some.

"About 160,000 Allied troops landed on the beaches of Normandy, France, to fight Nazi soldiers on June 6, 1944. General Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which “we will accept nothing less than full victory”. More than 5,000 ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by the end of the day, the troops gained a foot- hold in Normandy. Thousands of soldiers lost their lives, but thousands more trekked across Europe to end the war. The invasion is one of history’s most significant military attacks."
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/d-day

solus

quote: Approximately every three minutes a memory of World War II—its sights and sounds, its terrors and triumphs—disappears. Yielding to the inalterable (sic) process of aging, the men and women who fought and won the great conflict are now mostly in their 90s. They are dying quickly—at the rate of approximately 430 a day, according to US Veterans Administration figures. unquote. http://www.nationalww2museum.org/ho...stics.html?referrer=https://en.wikipedia.org/

one of the most devastating event humans have endured and still to this day those that participated do not wish to talk about their role.

sidebar: fascinating some statistician, somewhere, wasted time to even calculate the death rate

ipse

scouser

twenty something years ago I drove through Normandy with my parents on our way to a vacation home in Brittany. We saw several cemeteries on that journey, as well as stopping to look at one of the beaches the Allies landed on. Seemed so peaceful and quiet that day and hard to imagine what it must have been like 5 decades earlier. I'd got out of the car thinking I'd take some photos of the scene, but when standing there it just didn't seem the right thing to do, so the camera remained just hanging from my neck and my lasting images of the beach will only ever be in my mind

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Quite appropriate, scouser. There are some things in life a camera captures very well, such as the first manned landing on the Moon. As for D-Day, I've seen tons of pictures and footage, but nothing does justice to the heart and soul of those who gave their all. Not then, not now.

Thank you, men.