• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just an FYI thing... MOLON LABE

Gil223

The phrase "Molon labe" is used by some of us in our signatures (one even in Greek!), but there may be some of you who have no idea what it means, since it is Greek in origion. For those of you who may not be students of ancient Greece, or who have not seen the movie 300, "Molon labe" was reportedly the defiant response of King Leonidas I of Sparta, in 480BC, to Emperor Xerxes I of Persia when asked to lay down their arms and surrender, at the onset of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC). It translates as, "Come and take (get) them".

Instead of surrendering, the Spartans held Thermopylae for three days and, although they were ultimately annihilated, they inflicted serious damage upon the Persian army, and most importantly delayed its progress to Athens, providing sufficient time for the city's evacuation.

It is the expression of my attitdue (and I assume the others as well) toward the protection of our Constitution, and specifically, the Second Amendment thereto. In essence, it is an historical reference to - and reaffirmation of - the "cold dead fingers" philosophy. Pax...

Griz

It is a simple and yet profound statement. I know exactly what it means. I'm pretty sure most of the people here do to.

Griz

One I'd like to get someday. Ejection port cover from Brownells. Very subtle.

Attachments

• ejctPortCovr.jpg
    ejctPortCovr.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 171

Gil223

Not a problem... I just went to their website and it is no longer shown there. (I got mine about 2 years ago) I did send them an email asking que the paso, though. Pax...

Keep your wallet handy, Sov. I just received the following reply from Doug Kircher at Molon Labe regarding dust covers...

"I have over a hundred of the covers I am sending out this week for engraving. Re-did the website and took those down while they were out
of stock. Should have them back in early next week. Hate taking money for something I do not have ready to ship."

Not advertising something you don't have in stock, strikes me as an unusual (and perhaps a bit 'over the top') marketing practice. With that kind of honesty, Doug Kircher could never be elected to public office! Pax...

Gunslinger

The phrase "Molon labe" is used by some of us in our signatures (one even in Greek!), but there may be some of you who have no idea what it means, since it is Greek in origion. For those of you who may not be students of ancient Greece, or who have not seen the movie 300, "Molon labe" was reportedly the defiant response of King Leonidas I of Sparta, in 480BC, to Emperor Xerxes I of Persia when asked to lay down their arms and surrender, at the onset of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC). It translates as, "Come and take (get) them".

Instead of surrendering, the Spartans held Thermopylae for three days and, although they were ultimately annihilated, they inflicted serious damage upon the Persian army, and most importantly delayed its progress to Athens, providing sufficient time for the city's evacuation.

It is the expression of my attitdue (and I assume the others as well) toward the protection of our Constitution, and specifically, the Second Amendment thereto. In essence, it is an historical reference to - and reaffirmation of - the "cold dead fingers" philosophy. Pax...

Xerxes statement was to "give us your weapons and we will let you live." Leonidas responded with "come and take them." Xerxes next said "our arrows will block out the sun" Leonidas responded "Good. Then we shall fight in the shade."

I should add that 700 soldiers (Thesbians) and 400 from Thebes chose to stay and fight to the death with the Spartans. They are often overlooked and deserve the same glory as the 300 Spartans.

Last edited: