• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

kansas ccw doing the Marvine Lake hike at the end of july.... questions....

ruskiegunlover

I know i can ccw. I intend to open carry in a flap holster in my gear.....will i run into any trouble? Are out of state people allowed to open carry? I will ccw through the state, and only open carry while on the hike as its too uncomfortable to conceal under my gear. Any issues with this?

Anyone here kniw the hike i am talking about? Couple hours west of denver, maybe an hour north? Near gypsum i think? Any advice for it?

Thanks guys!

Brass

I live about 40 minutes down the road in Avon, you are good to go. We have a very pro-gun Sheriff (finally), and open carry is good in all of Colorado except Denver and Denver county.

tcbrad98

We just got back from Colorado and live in Olathe, KS. I OC'd all over Loveland, Fort Collins, Estes Park, and Rocky Mountain National Park. You are good to go except in Denver and the county.

Last edited:

ruskiegunlover

Ok, it IS legal for me as a kansas resident to open carry in colorado, accept in Denver correct?

Second, can I open carry a shotgun while on my hike? Or are rifles and shotguns not allowed?

What is the nearest town to this hike?

SteveInCO

Ok, it IS legal for me as a kansas resident to open carry in colorado, accept in Denver correct?

Second, can I open carry a shotgun while on my hike? Or are rifles and shotguns not allowed?

What is the nearest town to this hike?

I don't believe the law makes any distinction between OC of a handgun vs. a long gun.

Be advised that for a long gun the chamber MUST be empty while it's in your vehicle.

ruskiegunlover

I would still ccw a handgun to the trailhead, keeping the shotgun unloaded in a case under my rear seat. Only when ready to leave on the hike would I load rounds in the tube. Wouldn't even have one chambered, as I don't feel that would be required. Its not a quick draw weapon, it would be slow to action.

Debating carrying it. Haven't decided yet. I would have to buy a scabbard, and attach it to my bag. Not sure I would want to carry it in my arms on the whole hike.

ruskiegunlover

Point of clarification: Can I legally carry a shotgun IN MY HANDS while open carrying? Remember, I will be only OC-ing while on this hike. I will have the shotgun unloaded on the way there, and on the way home. It will only be loaded while on the hike.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Forum Rules

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:
This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.

Last edited: