• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentuckian heading to Gettysburg for the Fourth of July

DrakeZ07

Howdy folks in PA! I'm traveling up to Gettysburg for the 1st, through till the 5th, doing some camping there with a couple PA friends, and seeing the re-enactments, and such; Read a couple of the threads about non-resident OC, but hoping for more specialized info. Are there any outdoor shooting ranges near Gettysburg? the Adams County sports club thing, and another club, doesn't look like something for me, mainly looking for a range to show off my civil war era BP weapons, and to shoot them with my friends, without joining a club, or paying out-the-arse to use for a single day, I'd appreciate any links and info!

Also, I have my KY CCDW permit, and primarily Open Carry Black Powder Cap and Ball pistols back home here, and I'm wondering if your OC laws and regulations differ for Percussion, Flint-lock, and Modern firearms; also, I'm assuming the standard transport of unloaded, and out-of-arms-reach for transportation of firearms are the standard, correct?

Lastly, I read on the Gettysburg center website, that firearms may not be carried or possessed in federal buildings, (same for here in KY), but does anyone have any specifics, on if campground carry is permissable, or if I should just leave my guns in my car unless at the range?

I couldn't get any real, or useful information on camground carry, from google, or the park's website, and such, so any and all information is appreciative!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Pennsylvania has license reciprocity with Kentucky, so you can conceal carry here. As for open carry, not license is required, but you are required to have a license to transport it in your car. How you transport it in your car while in Pennsylvania, as long as you have a license, is your business. You can have it stored in the truck, totally disassembled, you can have it in your glove box (who uses glove boxes for gloves any more?), you can have it somewhere on your person, or in a holster on the door, or even super-glued to the vehicle's roof.

We have no open carry laws. Since open carry is not prohibited by law, it's "permitted" by default. And, whether you're carry a black powder pistol or smokeless powder pistol, or revolver, is up to you.

The same federal rules that apply in Kentucky concerning national parks apply in Pennsylvania, which means that walking around and camping around is not restricted. Apart from the federal crap, the only places you can't carry in Pennsylvania are on school grounds (K-12) and court facilities.

DrakeZ07

I appreciate your feedback and information! The lack of laws regarding OC certainly explains why I couldn't find anything in Penn.'s state laws, lol.

Does anyone have any info on outdoor gun ranges in, and around, Gettysburg that doesn't require a membership?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't carry into the visitor center at Gettysburg. prohibited.

Yep - that's a no no.

Firearms in National Parks: The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010. Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws. The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting. Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances. The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting. For more information about gun laws in Pennsylvania, please visit the Pennsylvania State Police web site.

Interestingly, they also do not allow backpacks or purses.
http://www.nps.gov/gett/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm