• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked Out of Ron's Guns in East Lyme, CT

OC for ME

I realize that it has been some time since the original post was made but I will add this. Today, Feb. 13, 2013, I went to Ron’s Gun Shop to purchase some ammo that was hard to find in my home area. Keeping in mind that I had just this morning read the original post I entered the shop with that statement in mind. As you walk in the door just above you and to the right is a 8.5 X 11 inch sign stating that loaded firearms are not allowed to be carried in this shop. This is not a quote but it does provide the reader with the wishes of the shop owner. Upon cashing out I mentioned this original post and he said that he was aware of it and he further went on to say the reason for this sign is because earlier a police officer came into the shop carrying and his weapon went off firing into the shelf of ammo. From that day on it has been posted and been a shop rule. This sign has not hindered his business or his relationship with his fellow firearms owners. One of the best small gun shops around. Bear
Did you ask "him" if cops are permitted into the business after that incident? If a cop or a number of cops come into that business are they required to unload their duty weapons or leave their duty weapons in their cruiser in order to patronize Ron's Gun Shop? Are cops prohibited by their employer from entering Ron's as a result of one nitwit cop? Citizens likely CC in Ron's Gun Shop and it is also very likely that those firearms are loaded.

To BizOwner.

Your thinly veiled threat to complain to the [CT] legislative body or the Ct Business Assoc. is noted. Every property owner has the absolute right to set the terms for entry onto their property. Any business owner that prohibits me from having the ability to lawfully defend myself or my loved ones, if the need arises, is not worthy of my patronage. I too have the absolute right to inform my fellow citizens of a business owners views on lawful self defense.

Johnhenry

Insurance carrier maybe the reason?

Had a discussion at the breakfast place about the gunstore policy history and that prompted me to do a google search.

Id post the link but cant seem to make it work. Try these two searches Dwight Pink, Rons Guns
And also from The New London Day Paper "Gunstore owner shot in hand'

My bet is the sign is requested by store insurance carrier.

Ctclassic

http://www.theday.com/article/20100313/NWS02/303139902/0/SEARCH

After reading such a story....maybe he should have a sign hanging out front saying....

Warning, don't buy from me 'cause I'm a dumb *%#@ and I don't respect the operations of a handgun.
Furthermore, don't enter this establishment because you will be instantly put in danger because I don't know how to handle a firearm.
I tend to handle firearms with my finger on the trigger (whether or not I know the weapon is loaded)

As far as the insurance company goes, Rando is damn lucky he didn't put that round into someone else, or he'd be in a real heap of dung, REGARDLESS if the customer brought it in that way!

I read the other story in which it was stated he and his 80+ YO father were robbed at the store and beat up....Gee maybe if someone was on premise with a loaded gun that may have had a different outcome. just saying

davidmcbeth

Banned
Today I did a short circuit of gun stores while OCing.

First I went to Hoffman's, very crowded...looked around for 25 mins or so. I briefly spoke to the owner and replenished our CCDL business cards there. Despite the large crowd, no comments about my OCing.

Then I went to the Newington Gun Exchange....again shopped for approx. twenty minutes. Shortly after I arrived, one of the guys working there turned to another, gestured towards me and asked if "that" was legal. The other sales guy told him it was depending on the town. A bit later the first guy asked me for details, and we politely conversed about legal OCfor awhile.

Then I drove to Ron's Guns in East Lyme. I looked around for about two minutes before an older gentleman came up to me and asked if I needed any help. He then quickly asked me if my securely holstered gun was loaded. "ahh, it sure is!" I responded with a smile. He then told me I had to take it outside or leave.... no loaded guns allowed in the store. Surprised, I apologized for not knowing about this rule and I asked him if that was posted anywhere. He said it was posted "somewhere". As I walked out the door I turned and asked him if that rule applied to people who carry concealed. He kinda cringed, hesitated, then restated that loaded guns were not allowed in the store. "Justput it in the car and come'on back in." I smiled and left. Thanks, but no thanks!

Twenty minutes later I was at the Outpost in Montville. They got a chuckle from my incident at Ron's.I replenished their CCDL cards and bought a holster. Good folks at the Outpost. The experience at Hoffman's and the Exchange was good too. 3 outta 4 CT shops todayain't sooo bad.... oh well for Ron's. A customer lost for them.

Another report for the CT-OC journal.

Open Carry On!!

Well it looks like all the other members would have supported your arrest and being tossed in the clink. Sad sad sad.

papa bear

Well that's just it .. no body tells you PLEASE LEAVE .. they just shove a small sign up and if you don't see it, then you go to jail.

Its retarded. Its a business..one expects to be welcomed...they advertise "come on in!"... if someone put up a sign "those without a gun are trespassing" how well would that fly?

Oh, oh, oh ... see.....

For those that support these signs and the laws and punishment behind them -- you are an anti but don't want to admit it..

DAVIDE, i don't know about where you live, i know in VA and NC. the sign is a warning. they must still ask you to leave, and you can only be charged with trespass if you refuse to leave. even then it is a civil matter and they must file the charges

but you are right there are a lot of anti (constitutional) gun owners are out there. it both shocks and disgusts me when i find them.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
DAVIDE, i don't know about where you live, i know in VA and NC. the sign is a warning. they must still ask you to leave, and you can only be charged with trespass if you refuse to leave. even then it is a civil matter and they must file the charges

but you are right there are a lot of anti (constitutional) gun owners are out there. it both shocks and discusses me when i find them.

+1 (disgust I think was the word your spell checker missed lol)

In CT its a criminal act, not civil. I just think that the signs, in my state, that result in possible jail time, are outrageous. There are no other signage that has this effect on citizens in the context and amount that the "no guns" signs do and it is meant to target gun owners.

And many gun owners are not opposed to what people call "reasonable gun control laws". After all, who wants to be deemed "unreasonable", right?
But the proposed laws and current laws are not reasonable.

The OP could have been arrested and been put in jail for missing a sign .. and most here seem to have support for this.:(

Tsk tsk tsk ... members who say they are pro-gun who are shown to lean to support anti viewpoints just call me names ... I just hope that they have learned something and change their viewpoints. They can continue to call me names ... the old "I am rubber and you are glue" saying comes to mind.

We have about 150,000 permit holders in CT; if 0.005% of them per day miss a sign then over a year about 3000 gun owners would be subject to jail time. Something to consider....the law could be changed so that business owners are required to call the cops...then folks like Ron would have no choice but to put people like the OP in jail. Then maybe folks would understand.

brk913

The reason for no LOADED guns has nothing to do with open carry or concealed. It is the result of three accidental discharges, one which went through his hand. There is no intent to limit your rights, it's all about safety. I guess he feels the sign says it all. No LOADED guns.

Holy thread resurrection, you realize this happened to the original poster 6 years ago right? Would like to add that there are no Accidental Discharges they are Negligent Discharges caused by a person, a properly holstered firearm is not going to fire by itself and a simpler answer is rather than to alienate clientele by having a no loaded firearm rule is to have a no handling of loaded firearms inside the store rule, it's pretty easy to enforce as long as you post a visible sign and he could even setup an area to safely unload firearms if they need to be handled as well...

ATM

Campaign Veteran
The reason for no LOADED guns has nothing to do with open carry or concealed. It is the result of three accidental discharges, one which went through his hand. There is no intent to limit your rights, it's all about safety. I guess he feels the sign says it all. No LOADED guns.

That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with safety. The amount of gun handling necessitated to comply with such an absurd request, unloading and then reloading in the parking lot or just outside the door, is just begging for more negligent discharges.

KEEP IT HOLSTERED OR CASED
would be a far more appropriate policy to post if safety was the actual concern.

Any gun that was to be handled in the shop would require specific permission and interaction with the shop staff. Offending handlers would be told to leave, loaded or not. Simple, sensible and safe.

WalkingWolf

Holy thread resurrection, you realize this happened to the original poster 6 years ago right? Would like to add that there are no Accidental Discharges they are Negligent Discharges caused by a person, a properly holstered firearm is not going to fire by itself and a simpler answer is rather than to alienate clientele by having a no loaded firearm rule is to have a no handling of loaded firearms inside the store rule, it's pretty easy to enforce as long as you post a visible sign and he could even setup an area to safely unload firearms if they need to be handled as well...

That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with safety. The amount of gun handling necessitated to comply with such an absurd request, unloading and then reloading in the parking lot or just outside the door, is just begging for more negligent discharges.

KEEP IT HOLSTERED OR CASED
would be a far more appropriate policy to post if safety was the actual concern.

Any gun that was to be handled in the shop would require specific permission and interaction with the shop staff. Offending handlers would be told to leave, loaded or not. Simple, sensible and safe.

+1 to both posts.