• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Killer gets probation!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Wirt H.S. killer gets probation Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:36 AM CDT
BY RUTHANN ROBINSON
rrobinson@nwitimes.com
CROWN POINT | After defense attorney Scott King's lengthy argument on behalf of his client, Lake Criminal Court Judge Diane Ross Boswell sentenced Isaiah Eskew to four years probation for the fatal shooting of Tywon Newsome outside of Gary's Wirt High School.

On June 8, a jury found Eskew, 19, guilty of reckless homicide and possession of a firearm on school property. As a condition of probation, Boswell ordered Eskew to go to school, maintain a 2.5 grade point average and to speak once a year to high school students about how using a gun altered his life.

Boswell could have sentenced him to a maximum of 11 years in prison.

At Friday's sentencing hearing, Eskew's grandmother pleaded with the judge to not send him to prison, referring to the shooting as a "terrible accident."

"He should be entering his second year of college rather than prison," the woman said of Eskew, an honor student. "He doesn't deserve that."

The victim's mother, Tasha Newsome, took Eskew to task for taking her son's death lightly by "smirking and laughing and showing no remorse."

Her son died "on the street like a dog," Tasha Newsome said.

King spoke for 40 minutes or more on the reasons his client should be given probation.

On June 6, 2006, Newsome and his girlfriend went to Wirt High School graduation. While there, they got into a confrontation with Eskew and his brother Evan Eskew, about a girl. The Eskews said Newsome threatened them to the point they told a police officer at the ceremonies.

Newsome left.

So did the Eskews and, according to trial testimony, Isaiah Eskew suggested they get a gun.

Outside, Newsome confronted Evan Eskew and began fighting him. Evan Eskew dropped the gun and yelled at his brother to pick it up.

Newsome's girlfriend testified she saw Isaiah Eskew point the gun at Newsome's head and fire.

Eskew said if he could turn back the hands of time, he would.

"I was only trying to downplay the situation," Isaiah Eskew said. "I never thought I'd go through the burdens I've had to carry."

Evan Eskew is charged with possession of a firearm on school property, a Class D felony.

How does a 2.5gpa qualify this kid to be an 'honor student'. Well I guess compared with the rest of Gary, IN this kid is as bright as they come...

Sitrep

imported post

I'm confused, he had just graduated high school and the judge ordered him to go to school? So, the judge is ordering him to go to college?

He shoots someone in the head and gets probation. :shock: I can understand that it wasn't premeditated, and is therfore only 2nd degree murder, but probation seems a little light to me. I must not be understanding the actual circumstances.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

From what I gather, due to court proceedings he was either enrolled in college and was delayed cause of the trial, and just now starting, when he, in reality should be beginning his second year.

This guy should have at least gotten a year behind bars if nothing else, and then if he still wanted to go to school, fine, but he needs to think about what he did.