• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives-what's your carry?

45acpForMe

Not exactly a defense blade, but I carry a good ol' fashioned swiss army knife almost everywhere, just because it has a million uses. (Don't believe me? Download a few seasons of MacGyver!)

During hunting season I have a generic bowie knife (no idea who the maker is, it was a gift when I was a teenager, but it holds an edge and works for dressing deer)

When I was stationed in Germany and didn't have my firearms I carried a small spring-loaded folding knife (as did a lot of other military members). Happy to say I never needed it.

I've always thought a fixed blade bowie would be a welcome addition to the personal defense arsenal, but I have no idea the legality of carrying one (last I checked any blade longer than 3 inches was considered illegal to carry, just like brass knuckles, black-jacks, and switchblades in most states)

The following site is useful for looking up each state's knife laws: http://home.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

WalkingWolf

View attachment 6508
I carry a timber rattler on my rig belt, not a huge knife, just a very useful good looking knife that did not cost a fortune. I have a knife I made from a rusted USAF issue survival knife I found. Cleaned off the loose rust, removed rotted leather handle. Boiled blade to set a nice rust blue, heat treated edge, then put a 7/8 bamboo handle wrapped with old surveyors string set with Hat stiffener(Knox gelatin) the open bamboo end was covered with a old Indian/buffalo nickle. Sheath is a black high ride leather sheath with belt clip. This is my yard knife at home.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Yes, fights between people with knives usually end with everyone involved hurt

i wanted to bolden the most important part of your post. knife fights suck. i know it firsthand, being involved in a few myself. i guess i won them, since i walked away from them, and wasn't carried away, i still didn't escape unharmed, and i have the stitches and scars to prove it. yeah, simply walking away from a knife fight is a win. give me a baseball bat or a 3' steel chain over a Bowie knife anyday.

But, knives are very useful defensive tools anyway. They are a lot better than being bare handed. As will most weapons, they can have a deterrent effect.

45acpForMe

what, do you have to worry about lions in CT?

:monkey

:lol:

Maybe we should have a "Whats the largest knife you carry?" thread. :)

I occasionaly carry the Cold Steel Espada (large) which is larger than the spartan.

csstoreonline_2167_19877729

I also have a ODA and OSS but don't carry them much.

http://www.coldsteel.com/espadaseries.html

http://www.coldsteel.com/sub-hilts-san-mai-iii.html

csstoreonline_2164_148762

http://www.coldsteel.com/oda-san-mai-iii.html

csstoreonline_2167_4642400

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I carry a Bear Gryllis series Folding Gerber. It's Gerbers version of a survival knife. They have 6 inch fixed and the 4 inch folder that I have. It a serrated/straight edge blade. I have no complaints so far and I've had it for about 6 months. I also have a folding Buck.

Ma}{imus

My EDC is a Spyderco Native. Nice, sturdy, and nice high utility grip.

spyderco%20native%20plain.jpg

45acpForMe

My EDC is a Spyderco Native. Nice, sturdy, and nice high utility grip.

spyderco native plain.jpg

I really like this design and may pick one up. The blade length of 3.125 inches though is iffy. For a tactical blade I would want something longer and for a every day carry blade I need a < 3" since I go onto school grounds alot with my kids. VA has a law that anything 3" and over is considered a weapon on school property so it is a no-no, unless you keep it in your car. If this knife was 2.875" I would get it to replace my cold steel mini-lawman which is kind of thick for its size.

45acpForMe

I don't do knives. Once you're close enough to use one, the perp is close enough to use it against you.

As a generality yes but depending on how much ammo you carry if you run out you still have a weapon and something is better than nothing. On school property I can't carry any gun so a small knife is better than nothing.

Only a stupid person will want to tangle with a knife wielding individual close up, so I think of it as more of a deterrant than actually plan to use it alot.

If I must I will use it as a weapon but if I can running away works best after ammo is out. :)

Knives also come in handy in every day life for opening packages or cutting something.

jahwarrior

As a generality yes but depending on how much ammo you carry if you run out you still have a weapon and something is better than nothing. On school property I can't carry any gun so a small knife is better than nothing.

Only a stupid person will want to tangle with a knife wielding individual close up, so I think of it as more of a deterrant than actually plan to use it alot.

If I must I will use it as a weapon but if I can running away works best after ammo is out. :)

Knives also come in handy in every day life for opening packages or cutting something.

agreed. i've never been shot, but i know for a fact that i don't want to get cut again. and using .45ACP to open packages can be tricky.

j4l

Over the years, I've managed to be shot and cut/sliced/stabbed on a number of occasions, none of them especially fun- BUT. Going without a blade, is like driving without a spare tire- most of the time you wont need it, but if you do, and dont have one.. ..
The thing about a good blade on-hand: When Murphy comes knocking, and your sidearm isnt working, your Bug is empty /and or failed.....A knife never jams, never needs to be re-loaded..pretty much Murphy-proof compared to most other things...

carry for myself

S&W HRT 9B boot knife. double edged. black powder coat 3.5" blade. small of back, sharp enough to shave hair with,balanced enough to hurl at an attacker and stick, and durable enough that i havnt broken it yet :-D and best part only $25 :banana:

j4l

Cant say I'd ever suggest throwing your knife at anyone- unlike the movies, they dont tend to dig in and stick, and when they do,they dont normally drop the other guy quiet as....totally. Plus, tactics-wise, if you throw and miss, or if it hits and just bounces off to land at his feet- you've just given the enemy a weapon to mess you up with..