• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives-what's your carry?

h20squirter

Not to derail the thread, but yes you can OC in a few circumstances! Check out the FL section of OCDO! Come to one of our open carry fishing events.

Jake8x7

Sounds good, I wasn't aware of the OC Fishing laws here in the Sh*itshine State until i came across this site, but it's pretty cool.

In regards to your other comment about knife fighting, first rule i learned, if you have a knife, and your fighting someone else who has a knife, your both going to be bleeding, the goal is to make him bleed more than you and quicker.

tim12232

My EDC is a Kershaw Blur s30v. Some people get all annoyed because it has a spring assist, but its a solid built knife, feels great in my hand :banana: LOL, and its made in the USA!

blur1.jpg

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I carry my SOG Vulcan Mini each and every day because it's so light and easy to clip on a pocket.

2011-11-03 14.03.55.jpg

Occasionally, I also carry my Explorer Swing-Lock. It's big and heavy, so it doesn't get carried as often.

2011-02-20 17.30.31.jpg

j4l

Not a carry/combat knife, in this case, but..

Pair of handles out of Bloodwood for a Chef's knife Im making..

my2001.jpg

my2002.jpg

with thier 1st coat of Tung Oil-

my2005.jpg

And some Ebony I've been working on for another knife- 3rd coat of Tung.

my2006.jpg

Also, have some Damascus on the way- cant wait for it to arrive so I can begin making a couple knives out of that- with the Ebony for handles..

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Sounds good, I wasn't aware of the OC Fishing laws here in the Sh*itshine State until i came across this site, but it's pretty cool.

In regards to your other comment about knife fighting, first rule i learned, if you have a knife, and your fighting someone else who has a knife, your both going to be bleeding, the goal is to make him bleed more than you and quicker.

Pretty much. The idea is do as much damage to incap him without yourself being fatally wounded or passing out. For the reason, sometimes its necessary to slash the legs and torso/jab the neck a few times and attempt to leave the engagement...all depends on the situation. In all reality if i was jumped in a parking lot id use the 1 inch or so little knife on my keychain and jab him in the face/neck once or twice shove him and run off.

Jake8x7

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Gerber EZ-Outs have been in my pocket for as long as I can remember. I've been through several different blade designs, my favorite being the sheepsfoot serrated with the yellow handles. My current is the standard half-serrated clip-point on the black handles, and I've surprisingly had this knife for two years without having lost it yet (the real reason I only carry $30 knives.)

I draw my knife dozens of time per day, so I don't care how pretty or cool it is. Diamond hones are worth every penny, too. Keep a good knife honed, and you'll never have to sharpen it.

The first time I lost my favorite one I was working on a rope-access job and was too cocky to tie my knife to my belt. Yep. I dropped it, and watched it bounce five times off the side of Roosevelt Dam on the Gila River in AZ before plunging into the low lake side.

This doesn't count the multi-tool I always carry, too. The first (and still favorite) was a blackened Gerber from 1992, purchased from the base store while in the Navy. I lost it when in a camera bag that was stolen out of a friend's car in 1999. Then, it was a Leatherman Super-Tool which I eventually left on the fender of my homemade welding work trailer as I drive away from a jobsite. Next was a Leatherman Wave that I still have and still like, even though I am finally back to carrying a newer black Gerber that a dear friend gave me. Not as good as my original, but has better memories.

Before 9-11, I remember going through security at an airport with the Gerber on my hip. Security rather rudely (and ignorantly) asked me if there was a knife in there. If you are familiar with the design of the Gerber, you'll appreciate how I snapped it open and said: "There's one in there somewhere." I got a dirty look and they let me pass.

After 9-11, I was flying on official business from another dam in Montana. (I worked for the US Bureau of Reclamation at the time.) I had accidentally left my Leatherman Super-Tool in my carry-on when I packed. I was going through security at the small airport in Billings, MT. Not only did I not get arrested, but the nice lady actually ran my knife to the baggage handlers to get it put into my checked baggage for me. Tangent: aside from a very few official flights for business, I have not flown commercially since the crack-down on procedures, and probably will never do so again. I don't need to be anywhere urgently enough to be treated the way citizens are treated these days.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I've switched to the big brother of the Spyderco Tenacious (3.25), the Resiliance (4.5").

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Resilience-Black-PlainEdge-Knife/dp/B004AWOLV8
Good review first one below:

Also a well-done review:
http://www.agrussell.com/spyderco-resilience-g10/p/SPC142GP/

41gyIXlFN-L._SS500_.jpg

You can inertially pop it, and though it's big it's not too big. I'm in a state where they don't seem to care. My friend carries a 6" hunting knife on her hip and nobody says anything. (she's a gardener, among other things). I like how she just straps that Kabar on and doesn't think twice. Everybody here has a knife clip in their pocket.

Only problem I've found is if you disassemble them it's impossible to put it back together. They have a variable number (usually 4) tiny washers and the blade pin has a flat side that's impossible (by hand) to get back into position. I had to reassemble my Tenacious with the pin in reverse.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I spent a few years in military service and learned that knives (sharp things) come and go. My best knife was always a US Army issue mess kit knife sharpened on both edges and wrapped in parachute cord. Kept a fair edge, would not slip when wet and you could not beat the price.

Now I am old and I need a bit less. I keep a two inch clip on clipped to my R/F pocket. I also keep four inch clip on inside my pants at seven o'clock on my belt. And cause I'm a bit untrustful, I keep a one inch on my dogtags. (yeah, I still wear them)