• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives!

jahwarrior

i know that most people who carry a gun for self defense also carry a knife or two...or three. i've yet to see a thread dedicated to knives here, so i'll start one. show us what ya got!

folders.
001-3.jpg

big fixed blades.
004-5.jpg

neckers.
006-5.jpg

jahwarrior

and some more:

karambit folders, with "ghetto" waves.
027-1.jpg

Benchmade Model 42 Balisong.
012-1.jpg

Benchmade Model 51 Morpho Balisong.
007-5.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
Nice collection. So, what types of knife fighting styles have you trained in? I'm curious how the training that one receives affects their blade purchases.

l_ee85b2620f3a46958e7fa5c98e289356.jpg

This is a crappy cell pic, but it gives you an idea of what I tend to carry. The folder was $5 from a gun show. It's an assisted opener, and with a little TLC the blade keeps a nice edge. It's perfect for daily utility work, and is long enough and sturdy enough to be used defensively if necessary.

The push blade is a Cold Steel Safe Maker I. I went back and forth about what type of "defensive" blade to get for quite a while. Since I haven't had a whole lot of training specifically with knives, but I HAVE had a good amount of hand to hand training, I settled on a knife that would compliment my fist-oriented fighting style. I carry this primarily on my weak hand side, where it would more than likely be used to thwart a gun grab, or simply put distance between myself and an attacker while I draw my sidearm. This knife isn't about technique and application...it's about turning my fist into a sharp object as I at least partially panic from having my life threatened. It's the whole gross motor skills theory. Even if I absolutely lose my freakin mind because I'm so scared, I should still be able to death grip this knife and flail my fist in front of me. Better than nothing!

aadvark

Be careful..., depending on your State..., Knives may or may not recieve the protections provided by The Firearms Preemption Statute, assuming your State has one to begin with.
Therefore, Local Governments may be able to Regulate Knives within their Jurisdictions.
Arizona, to date, is the ONLY State that I know of that Preempts Knives to The State.
The Model Knive Preemption Statute that Arizona employs is located under: ARS 13-3120.

ARS 13-3120 reads...:
13-3120. Knives regulated by state; state preemption; definitions
A. Except as provided in subsections C and D, a political subdivision of this state shall not enact any ordinance, rule or tax relating to the transportation, possession, carrying, sale, transfer, purchase, gift, devise, licensing, registration or use of a knife or knife making components in this state.
B. A political subdivision of this state shall not enact any rule or ordinance that relates to the manufacture of a knife and that is more prohibitive than or that has a penalty that is greater than any rule or ordinance that is related to the manufacture of any other commercial goods.
C. This section does not prohibit a political subdivision of this state from enacting and enforcing any ordinance or rule pursuant to state law, to implement or enforce state law or relating to imposing any privilege or use tax on the retail sale, lease or rental of, or the gross proceeds or gross income from the sale, lease or rental of, a knife or any knife components at a rate that applies generally to other items of tangible personal property.
D. This section does not prohibit a political subdivision of this state from regulating employees or independent contractors of the political subdivision who are acting within the course and scope of their employment or contract.
E. A political subdivision's rule or ordinance that relates to knives and that is inconsistent with or more restrictive than state law, whether enacted before or after the effective date of this amendment to this section, is null and void.
F. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Knife" means a cutting instrument and includes a sharpened or pointed blade.
2. "Political subdivision" includes any county, city, including a charter city, town, municipal corporation or special district, any board, commission or agency of a county, city, including a charter city, town, municipal corporation or special district or any other local public agency.

DreQo

State Researcher
Are you implying that we should be aware of the laws in our jurisdiction before carrying a knife?!! I thought that only applied to guns!

.45acp

I carry a Severtech Tanto blade auto...EDC in states where legal....AZ happens to be one.

Nice set of Bali's ya got here.

Last edited:

jahwarrior

l_ee85b2620f3a46958e7fa5c98e289356.jpg

The push blade is a Cold Steel Safe Maker I. I went back and forth about what type of "defensive" blade to get for quite a while. Since I haven't had a whole lot of training specifically with knives, but I HAVE had a good amount of hand to hand training, I settled on a knife that would compliment my fist-oriented fighting style. I carry this primarily on my weak hand side, where it would more than likely be used to thwart a gun grab, or simply put distance between myself and an attacker while I draw my sidearm. This knife isn't about technique and application...it's about turning my fist into a sharp object as I at least partially panic from having my life threatened. It's the whole gross motor skills theory. Even if I absolutely lose my freakin mind because I'm so scared, I should still be able to death grip this knife and flail my fist in front of me. Better than nothing!

i wish i was allowed to carry a double edged knife/dagger in PA. i have an older Safekeeper II that's collecting dust. it's difficult to even find someone to buy it, because dagger-type blades are illegal in most jurisdictions.

as far as training, i've studied Japanese and Southeast Asian techniques, both empty handed and weapons techniques. i also was taught by my father, who is an Army combat vet, and who had to use a knife in combat more than a few times. so, i've had a knife in my hand since i was 9. i can use just about anything i can pick up, but my preference (for self defense) is for Japanese style blades, karambits, balisongs, and daggers. i like karambits for practical reasons: the ring allows for better retention, and for quick manipulation. i like balisongs because they have the most reliable locking mechanism of any folder: your own grip. as long as you're holding it, it will stay open. it also excels as a yawara/kubaton.

otherwise, to me, a knife is a knife is a knife. my preferences are based on aesthetics. i simply like the look of Japanese blades, certain daggers, and traditional Bowies.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Nice selection at the top there. I like the Kukri and the Karambits. Do I detect a zip tie around the thumbholes on those Karambits? Is it there to act as an assist opener like on the Emerson line so it opens simply by pulling it from the pocket?

Last edited:

jahwarrior

Nice selection at the top there. I like the Kukri and the Karambits. Do I detect a zip tie around the thumbholes on those Karambits? Is it there to act as an assist opener like on the Emerson line so it opens simply by pulling it from the pocket?

that's exactly what they're for. like i said, they're my "ghetto" waves.:monkey

they actually work a little better than some i've seen from the factory. these won't wear or tear on my pockets, like a steel hook or quillion would.