• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KY Derby and gun laws

v8shoguy

imported post

My guard unit being called up for state active duty for the Derby. I am in an MP unit, and will be put in a Law and Order position, be it directing traffic or whatever. As I am not an MP, I am not qualified/authorized to carry an M9 Beretta, and rifles will not be issued. Basically they're making me the equivilent of mall security, except I don't get a flashlight or a whistle. Tension runs high in some parts of the city during the festivities, and I feel that I am being inserted into a dangerous situation with no means to protect myself. Then I found this: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/038-00/420.PDF
that gives me peace officer status in regards to weapons carry while on SAD. That leads me to http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/527-00/020.PDF where paragraph 2 gives me authorization to CC in the discharge of my official duties. So I can legally carry, permit-free, while out doing whatever I am doing? It's BS that they want to send me out without a means of defense. Trying to tip the scales (ever so slightly) in my favor, especially if dealing with this: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070501/DERBYFUN/705010406

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, If they will not let you carry your own firearm openly or issue you one, I would cc. Doesn't really help you deter any criminal threat, but at least you can protect yourself if safety becomes an issue.

Sounds like they are turning you in stoplight with legs.

Ill keep my fingers crossed you get that whistle and light.

Good luck and be safe!

v8shoguy

imported post

Yeah, I have a very important place to be at on May 19. If I'm not there, a pretty girl with a white dress will be very sad. Goal #1 is to make it to my wedding. That's why I carry :) I also see several people going to jail if I were to be harmed in the line of duty specifically because I was unarmed. Much easier for my CO to explain that I was legally armed with my personal weapon than to deliver a message to my family.

v8shoguy

imported post

a 2LT last year OC'd his personal M9 and caught a bunch of flack over it. I think for him it had alot to do with 1) he was just out of trouble for an incident in Iraq, and 2) confusion about who the weapon actually belonged to. If I'm in the track, I'll be CC unless I find a good reason to do otherwise. OC outside the track should be OK. My Sigma in OD green will match well in my drop holster. My plan for CC in the track is that if nobody knows, nobody asks questions and it's there if I need it. Although it's legal, it's better to be low-key with all the elites around.

ProtectMd

imported post

Yeah sounds like another case of "overglorified mall security in uniform" type deal. See thats a reason I quit the military, I felt that they were not doing enough to protect me while I was in uniform. I suggest concealed carry. I wouldn't open carry unless you had permission to bring the weapon by the CO or whatever. I would also bring that up as a question to the CO, (What is the point of providing "security" if you aren't given ways to stop the threat? and in so many words let him know that if he treats his mission as a joke, then it will be taken as such by the troops, so why waste the tax dollars in the first place? How can you provide security without weapons?) I would also question what safeguards are in place to protect you in the event that something bad does happen (active shooters, terrorists, etc). I think that if they gave me a whistle and no gun, I would run personally the minute ahmed muhamed steps out of the crowd with his krinkov lol. You should also look into body armor.... might save your life someday. Good Luck man.