• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Last cent ever spent at Bobs

Kevin108

imported post

Something else crossed my mind tonight while I was thinking about this whole situation. How did Norfolk come to have gun shows once again? Did they do this of their own volition or was their outside pressure?

paramedic70002

imported post

I've known of gun shows at scope for at least 20 years. Bought a Grendel .380 there when I was a freshly minted security officer around 1988. Dude even let me walk out with it in a bag instead of going to the police station for a purchase permit. Oops! Is this ancient history?

Bubba Ron

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
Something else crossed my mind tonight while I was thinking about this whole situation. How did Norfolk come to have gun shows once again? Did they do this of their own volition or was their outside pressure?
The Norfolk showsstopped because the promoters had a few issues to work out between themselves....our next Norfolk show is September 8th and 9th.....next weekend!!! We've still got some vacancies at the VCDL table.....

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
The Norfolk showsstopped because the promoters had a few issues to work out between themselves....our next Norfolk show is September 8th and 9th.....next weekend!!! We've still got some vacancies at the VCDL table.....

So the City Council had nothing to do with either the cessation of gun show nor the "bringing back" of gun shows as "Bob" was contending?

As Unrequited would say: 0_o

Bubba Ron

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
So the City Council had nothing to do with either the cessation of gun show nor the "bringing back" of gun shows as "Bob" was contending?
Too hard - next question...

I do know thatVCDL will NOT be receiving a Christmas Card from the Norfolk City Council this year :cry:

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Kevin108 wrote:
Ron, I would love to help out if you still need a hand, call me.

Dan0076

imported post

You can volunteer and see the schedule here.
http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/gsroster.html?REGION=Tidewater/Southside

(I didn't know about this link untill I saw another post of Ron's.)

Reverend73 wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
Kevin108 wrote:
Ron, I would love to help out if you still need a hand, call me.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Dan0076 wrote:
Hi Dan, GlennGlocker just send me an email saying he used the form on the above link yesterday - but we didn't receive his notification so I guess the website form still does not work. John Pierce should be fixing it soon. Everything else works though.

If anyone else wantsto volunteer, we could use some help on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 pm or Sunday morning at 10:00 am. Just send us an email or PM. Thanks....

tapper95

imported post

Is anyone here a member of Norfolk County Rifle Range? I need to find a new place close to P-town since I won't be renewing my range membership at Bob's... For me this is just the icing on the cake... Their range is in crappy shape... Not dangerous, but it looks very shabby... Plus the neighborhood is pretty nasty... Last time I was there I left the counter because there were several guys whostunk like weed and looked they just walked off the set of a gangster rap video... One of them was looking to trade in his gun for a new one and I was not planning to be around when a stoned guy pulled out his gat to get an offer on a trade in...

By the way, this weekend I'll be going to my first Gun Show in many years... I know the policy is no loaded firearms, but is it OK to have loaded mags on the other side of my belt from my unloaded and cable tied handgun? I wouldn't want to commit a faux-pas, but I don't want to be unarmed going to and from my car either...

Bubba Ron

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
Is anyone here a member of Norfolk County Rifle Range?
By the way, this weekend I'll be going to my first Gun Show in many years... I know the policy is no loaded firearms, but is it OK to have loaded mags on the other side of my belt from my unloaded and cable tied handgun? I wouldn't want to commit a faux-pas, but I don't want to be unarmed going to and from my car either...
NCRR is a nice range with LOTS of safety rules (which I like) it's also larger than Bob's and has IDPA, Trap, Skeet, and Tactical Shougun, and Archery. Their website is www.ncrr.net

Carrying loaded mags has never beenproblem for us - as long as they remain out of the gun. Drop by and visit us at the VCDL table.

VA357

imported post

I spoke to Robert Marcus today, since I used to work at Bob’s and have known him for many years. I asked him if he was aware of what was being said here, and he said that he didn’t subscribe to this board but that he had an upset customer call him and he knew there were some posts. He has not read any of them, and he said he didn’t plan to.

When I asked him if he would like me to respond for him, he said no, that everyone is entitled to his own opinion and that the last thing he was going to do was to validate nameless people making accusations that he didn’t think amounted to much of anything to begin with. He said that if people had legitimate complaints about his business, his politics, or even if his breath smelled bad, they should pick up the phone and call him and tell him. Now, I will tell you what I know about this person some are so willing to criticize because there are people who don’t live in Norfolk and have never been to Bob’s and will only know the ridiculous things that have been written here.

For most of the last 20 years, Robert Marcus was at the General Assembly, making sure that Virginia did not turn into another California with a fifteen day waiting period, or another Maryland with their “approved list” of firearms that can be sold, or with their ballistic fingerprinting. We do not have these things in Virginia because Robert Marcus has been president of the Virginia gun dealers association since they formed in the late eighties. These things did not fail to happen by magic; it took years of hard work and effort to see that everyone in Virginia, from gun show operators to kitchen table dealers was protected from governmental interference. I heard him say many times that if any one of us is threatened, all of us are threatened, and when the anti-gunners finish going after the gun shows, they would be coming for the gun stores next.

Mr. Marcus fought for years to get Norfolk city council to end the permit to purchase handguns. His fight ended a few years ago when Norfolk finally ended this ridiculous law. He was able to get all 7 council members, the majority of whom were anti-gun, to vote to end the permits. Another dealer in Norfolk (No, it wasn’t Ron Hess) will tell you he wrote a letter to the Commissioner of the Revenue and that’s what ended the permits, but those of us who were there know what really happened.

It was Robert Marcus, who single-handedly persuaded city council to end their ban on gun shows at Scope, and he brought the first show in 13 years back to Norfolk

It was Robert Marcus, who sued ATF over disclosure of used gun serial numbers, trying to protect our privacy from more governmental interference. While he failed to stop ATF from what they were doing, he went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to have his case heard, but they refused. I don’t think he has ever told anyone how much money that cost, or how much pressure ATF exerted over him because of it, but I doubt anyone reading this post sent him a word of thanks or a dollar to help defray his cost for it.

I have personally seen Mr. Marcus reach into his own pocket to provide funds for crippled shooters, and I heard about a very generous contribution he recently made to NCRR for their youth shooters. Hell, there isn’t a Friends of the NRA banquet in Virginia that he doesn’t give something to, and I have seen him give $1,500.00 gun safes year after year when other dealers wouldn’t give a cheap scope or a cheaper sling, and when I asked him why he did these things, when so many others didn’t, he said that he felt it was his responsibility to help protect the 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment.

Robert Marcus has done more than a lot of gun shop owners to help protect us all, and if he has to apologize to a public body because a very small contingent in the firearms community acted over the top, I think his opinion should be considered, because he has more than earned it.

So, for all of you who read this and whine that you don’t belong to the NRA because they’re always asking for money, or complain that there just isn’t time to write a letter to the editor or help elect a pro-gun candidate, or the most important thing in your life is the latest ammo price increase, perhaps you should look beyond yourselves and ask just what it is that you have done to protect your gun rights, other than to complain to each other on this board.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

But he'll "apologize" for VCDL instead of letting them speak their piece?

Bubba Ron

imported post

VA357 wrote:
Robert Marcus has done more than a lot of gun shop owners to help protect us all, and if he has to apologize to a public body because a very small contingent in the firearms community acted over the top, I think his opinion should be considered, because he has more than earned it.
I sure didn't see Robert Marcus at the Norfolk City Council meeting - if he was not there, how does he, or you, know "a very small contingent in the firearms community acted over the top"? Did he read about it in the newspapers? Why was the TV coverage of the meeting blocked out after the City Council agenda and before the public got to speak? If you were not there - you don't know what happened - the newspaper coverage was certainly not an accurate view.

bayboy42

imported post

perhaps you should look beyond yourselves and ask just what it is that you have done to protect your gun rights, other than to complain to each other on this board.
Perhaps you VA357 should stop and try to gather some facts before you start making such recommendations as the one I've quoted above. Here, I'll start for you:

To date20 members of OCDO have made a post on this thread. Of those 20 members,10 of them attended the Norfolk City Council Meeting which is what I (and I'm sure most others) would consider as "doing something to protect your gun rights.

From what I understand, Robert Marcus has indeed done alot of the 2a community...but I don't care how much hes done, NOTHING gives him the right to make comments like he made to Doc.

Doc's experience is not the first I've heard regarding Mr. Marcus or his employees. I've been made aware of several conversations where some not so pleasant things have been said about thosewho chose to open carry and the VCDL.

Personally, I went into his store once, was so flabergasted by his markup on everything that I priced (Glock 19, Don Humme Holster, night-sights, Cor-Bon 9mm ammo) that I've never gone back again.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

The only thing VA357 proves is he knows less than Bob about what was going on... <shrug>

That and he has a problem with someone reporting their experience at Bob's

If the info from the OP is correct then "Bob" is out of line. Period.
Are you saying the OP is wrong or lying? Dont keep us in suspense, we realy only care about the OPEN CARRY aspect of "Bob's"

Helping crippled shooters is nice, but irrelevant to the discussion.
So does bob support open carry or not? That is ALL that matter in this post. (should be obvious)

VA357

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
perhaps you should look beyond yourselves and ask just what it is that you have done to protect your gun rights, other than to complain to each other on this boar
Doc's experience is not the first I've heard regarding Mr. Marcus or his employees. I've been made aware of several conversations where some not so pleasant things have been said about thosewho chose to open carry and the VCDL.
I haveseen alot of people open carry inBobs and never heard anyone tell them they could not or make any comments about it to them. Anybody around this area knows if you open carry in the Norfolk,Portsmouth,Cheasapeake and theVirginia Beach area somebody is going to give you a hard time either thur ignorance of the law or because they are anti gun. Also many people who carry every day DO NOT believe in open carry and as some of you know some and listen up I said SOME open carry because they cannot get apermit to carry concealed as it a lot easier to buy gun than geta permit to carry

VA357

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
The only thing VA357 proves is he knows less than Bob about what was going on... <shrug>

That and he has a problem with someone reporting their experience at Bob's

If the info from the OP is correct then "Bob" is out of line. Period.

Helping crippled shooters is nice, but irrelevant to the discussion.
So does bob support open carry or not? That is ALL that matter in this post. (should be obvious)
About the city council meeting? Heard every word they said in the audio linkprovided in the VCDL email (Riddick is a buffoon and should be removed from office)and as for Bob supporting open carry as I said in the last postI have seen many,many people open carry in Bobs and never heard ANY remarks towards them about it, andas Robert Marcus is STRONG supporter of all 2nd amendment rights I would say yes to that.

VA357

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
VA357 wrote:
I sure didn't see Robert Marcus at the Norfolk City Council meeting - if he was not there, how does he, or you, know "a very small contingent in the firearms community acted over the top"? Did he read about it in the newspapers? Why was the TV coverage of the meeting blocked out after the City Council agenda and before the public got to speak? If you were not there - you don't know what happened - the newspaper coverage was certainly not an accurate view.
I heard the entire thing on the audio link in the VCDL newsletter sent to me. and you really don't believe the council was going to let you be heard on T.V. do you ? And by the way alot of people think the whole thing was poorly handled on both sides.