• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Last cent ever spent at Bobs

tapper95

imported post

I was in Bob's 2 hours before the Norfolk City Council and overheard a customer trying to explain to one of the guys behind the counter about what happened to Chet, Dan, and Brian and why VCDl was going to the Council meeting... I'm not sure of his name, but it was the heavyset guy with the moustache...

His reply was: "Anyone who open carries is just trying to attract attention, there's no point."

The customer was trying to explain how the police were in the wrong and that's the whole point, but the guy behind the counter just didn't want to hear it...

I like Bob's because they have a good selection and are close to my home in Portsmouth, but prices are steep on most accessories and slightly above average on firearms... Ammo is a little high, the only thing I buy thereis hollow points because WalMart doesn't carry them... and the range is getting worn out...

But the worst thing about Bob's is jockeying for attention with all the Gangsta's... and maybe some of their clientele is forming the opinion of the staff and ownership....

2ASupporter

imported post

I have been shopping and shooting at Bob's since I was stationedherein 98 and I have never been treated like anything I have read. I always open carry there (and anywhere I legally can) and I think once someone asked me to clear my gun before trying on holsters, but that's just common sense to me.

There was an old man at the range who was a bit gruff, but I havn't seen him there in a while (and haven't missed him that much, either) but everyone else has been great to work with. As far as the gun prices, everything I bought there was in line or close to the other stores I shop (except the armory and hess, I wil never go back to either of them again) and when you consider the free range time you get when you buy a gun (1 year free) that's what keeps me going back. And I like that Bob supports so many gun activities, so there seems to be a disconnect here somewhere.

Anyway, I have had Bob sell me a couple of my guns and there aren't that many stores today where the owner will come out andwork. I like that.

But I have never had an OC issue there, and that's in the 9 years I've been going in there. I don't remember who said it on here but I think that person is wrong.

I am going to call Bob tomorrow and find out what's really going on. Has anyone else spoken to him besides VA357?

VA357

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
I was in Bob's 2 hours before the Norfolk City Council and overheard a customer trying to explain to one of the guys behind the counter about what happened to Chet, Dan, and Brian and why VCDl was going to the Council meeting... I'm not sure of his name, but it was the heavyset guy with the moustache...

His reply was: "Anyone who open carries is just trying to attract attention, there's no point."

The customer was trying to explain how the police were in the wrong and that's the whole point, but the guy behind the counter just didn't want to hear it...
I was in there about there same time ordering a Sig just ashort distance down from that conversation with one of the other guys that work there and what was said was"anyone who open carries is GOING to attract attention" and right or wrong, good or badin downtown Norfolk thats the truth and I think most people would agree with him.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

First of all i would like to remind everyone that i made this post not because of the high prices at Bobs. I dont give a damn what he wants to charge for a box of ammo. I have spent alot of money there in the last few year and have had no problem with it. I have brought people into his place of business because of the staff there. As salesmen and people they are great.What pissed me off is that Robert felt that he had to apologize to city folks for vcdl coming to a council meeting to protest police harassment of gun owners. He did this all without being there to witness everything that was said. Not hearing the that Norfolk Police department as a on going pattern of this, not only to gun owners but to everyone. As a VCDL member and a long time supporter of the 2nd amendment i dont feel that any apologizing should have been done. There is absolutely no excuse for law enforcement to abuse their power.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Since my wife had to get her hair cut today in Norfolk, and we planned to hit the gunshow at the Scope together after that (on a side note, I was less than impressed. The Hampton one is better unless you like to buy Nazi paraphernalia), I thought I'd just pop into Bob's to browse their 1911s before we went to the gun show to see how the prices actually compared.

As I walked in (about 10:30am), there were two guys working there, and one customer finishing up buying a gun. About the time I finished glancing at prices on their 1911s, I heard the other customer ask the employee (an older guy, who was kind of heavy and had almost no hair) if the CHP allowed him to carry in his glove compartment. The employee commented that he was fairly certain the CHP only covered a gun actually physically on you, but wasn't sure. I piped in that if he was really concerned, he should either just lock it in his trunk or actually carry it on his hip, since both of those options are legal with or without a CHP. At that point, the employee there stated "Yeah, they need to make a law to do something about that open carry crap". :banghead: I quickly left, because getting into it there would have clearly been a waste of my breath.

I'd also like to point out a few things. Fighting the norfolk purchase permit stuff doesn't necessarily have anything to do with customer rights. As long as that purchase permit was around, Bob's was losing gun sales to stores in other cities that didn't add that hurdle. I also noticed that the 1911s at the gun show were significantly cheaper than at Bob's.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

VA357 wrote:
what was said was"anyone who open carries is GOING to attract attention" and right or wrong, good or badin downtown Norfolk thats the truth and I think most people would agree with him.
What's the point here? OK, it IS likely to "attract attention" in places like Norfolk. Big deal. Since OC is perfectly legal, is part of a civil right, as has certain tactical advantages, I'm not particularly concerned with whether it "attracts attention" or not. I've never looked for attention over my years of OC, and very few people have commented at all, but if some folks happen to be upset or just curious, that's OK too. I can handle it.

For a gun store employee to say we need laws to deal with "that open carry crap" suggests a lack of perspective I think. Twenty years ago, many otherwise intelligent people (and virtually all liberals) thought "all that concealed carry crap" was a big mistake and would open a Pandora's box. I remember folks saying it would cause a backlash against all ownership of pistols because of the resulting "blood in the streets".

I'm sure Bob has been a very positive influence for the gun owning community, but I feel we all have to work together, not at cross purposes, to make sure we don't lose our rights.