• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of carrying an extendable baton, openly or concealed in MI.

Hey everyone, I'm posting here today because I'm interested in learning about the legality of carrying an extendable baton, and using it in self defense if need be. Everywhere else I've looked I've found conflicting information.

I've been told:
A: It's legal to carry and use in self defense.
B: It's illegal to carry or use in self defense.
C: It's all a legal grey area.
D: It's legal to carry, illegal to use in self defense.
E: It's legal to carry, a grey area to use in self defense.

Some backstory real quick. I'm a photographer living in SE Michigan, and I spend a lot of my time in less than safe areas. For example, I do a lot of Ruins photography in Detroit. I usually go do photography with 1 or 2 other urban explorers who enjoy exploring abandoned buildings with me. We carry a variety of weapons for self defense. Some carry knives, mace, or in the case of a couple of veterans, concealed firearms. Personally, I carry a spring-assisted knife and pepper-gel spray for self protection. A couple of the people I explore with, including myself, are interested in carrying batons for self protection. One already does, doubling as a monopod for his camera (he attached a tripod screw to the back on the base.) Since I'm sure someone will ask, we do understand that batons are tools which require a fair amount of practice to use in an effective manner. We're all actually somewhat experienced with the basics of baton usage thanks to one of the veterans we explore with, although none of what you might call proper training.

So here are my questions in a nutshell:
1. Can I legally carry my baton in Michigan?
2. Can I use my baton in self defense against an assailant?
3. If legal to carry, must the baton be carried openly, in full sight, or may it be concealed, placed inside my jacket for example? What if it's on my belt and partially covered by a shirt or jacket.
4. As I mentioned in my post, I know a photographer who carries a baton which has been modified to fit a second use, other than as a weapon. Does this make the baton any more legal to carry, as he claims?
5. Where can my friends and I receive proper training with baton, so as to be able to use them as effectively as possible?

The batons we own:
418LwPOGQfL.jpg

41frjskAPvL.jpg

21-Inch-Expandable-Baton-with-Nylon-Holster-0.jpg

OC4me

Hey everyone, I'm posting here today because I'm interested in learning about the legality of carrying an extendable baton, and using it in self defense if need be. Everywhere else I've looked I've found conflicting information.

I've been told:
A: It's legal to carry and use in self defense.
B: It's illegal to carry or use in self defense.
C: It's all a legal grey area.
D: It's legal to carry, illegal to use in self defense.
E: It's legal to carry, a grey area to use in self defense.

Some backstory real quick. I'm a photographer living in SE Michigan, and I spend a lot of my time in less than safe areas. For example, I do a lot of Ruins photography in Detroit. I usually go do photography with 1 or 2 other urban explorers who enjoy exploring abandoned buildings with me. We carry a variety of weapons for self defense. Some carry knives, mace, or in the case of a couple of veterans, concealed firearms. Personally, I carry a spring-assisted knife and pepper-gel spray for self protection. A couple of the people I explore with, including myself, are interested in carrying batons for self protection. One already does, doubling as a monopod for his camera (he attached a tripod screw to the back on the base.) Since I'm sure someone will ask, we do understand that batons are tools which require a fair amount of practice to use in an effective manner. We're all actually somewhat experienced with the basics of baton usage thanks to one of the veterans we explore with, although none of what you might call proper training.

So here are my questions in a nutshell:
1. Can I legally carry my baton in Michigan?
2. Can I use my baton in self defense against an assailant?
3. If legal to carry, must the baton be carried openly, in full sight, or may it be concealed, placed inside my jacket for example? What if it's on my belt and partially covered by a shirt or jacket.
4. As I mentioned in my post, I know a photographer who carries a baton which has been modified to fit a second use, other than as a weapon. Does this make the baton any more legal to carry, as he claims?
5. Where can my friends and I receive proper training with baton, so as to be able to use them as effectively as possible?

The batons we own:
418LwPOGQfL.jpg

41frjskAPvL.jpg

21-Inch-Expandable-Baton-with-Nylon-Holster-0.jpg

The very fact that you have to ask demonstrates how convoluted and screwed up our laws are in Michigan (and in the rest of the country). Its often impossible for law-abiding citizens to know what is legal and what is not. Even if someone on this forum 'cleared' up state law for you on the subject, you may still run afoul of local ordinances.

My advice is to just make a monopod out of the thing, like the other fellow is doing, and keep your mouth shut. Why not just open carry or conceal carry a proper self defense tool?

Last edited:

solus

so OP you basically are trespassing private property by your own admission (quote: I do a lot of Ruins photography in Detroit. I usually go do photography with 1 or 2 other urban explorers who enjoy exploring abandoned buildings with me. unquote) to claim artifacts of value??

all under the guise of taking fotos...

do you get property releases to take these photos from the responsible property owner?

trust me that will be the least of your worries when you stumble upon a property being occupied and you use deadly force to escape...

ipse

so OP you basically are trespassing private property by your own admission .... all under the guise of taking fotos...

do you get property releases to take these photos from the responsible property owner?

trust me that will be the least of your worries when you stumble upon a property being occupied and you use deadly force to escape...

ipse

In some cases, it could be said I am trespassing. Most of the buildings I explore don't really have owners anymore, and lack no-trespassing signs, or doors for that matter. If I can find out who the owner is though, I always ask permission. And yes, I do it to take photographs. I enjoy documenting the abandoned and less seen parts of the human infrastructure.

I've actually never had any major problems with squatters or thugs in the buildings. My biggest issues have been with wild animals and homeless/thugs on the streets.

Still, never hurts to be ready.

Also, only a fool uses a baton to apply deadly force.

OC4me

so OP you basically are trespassing private property by your own admission (quote: I do a lot of Ruins photography in Detroit. I usually go do photography with 1 or 2 other urban explorers who enjoy exploring abandoned buildings with me. unquote) to claim artifacts of value??

all under the guise of taking fotos...

ipse

Every state is different, I wouldn't presume to know the trespassing laws in your state (North Carolina, right?) but in Michigan, it might be the case that they aren't technically 'trespassing' unless put on prior notice (i.e. signage or communication from the owner or their representative).

Last edited:

solus

Every state is different, I wouldn't presume to know the trespassing laws in your state (North Carolina, right?) but in Michigan, it might be the case that they aren't technically 'trespassing' unless put on prior notice (i.e. signage or communication from the owner or their representative).

let me assist you OC4ME in quantifying your in Michigan... 'it might be the case...' statement as well as meet OCDO's forum criteria...

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931
750.552 Trespass upon lands or premises of another; exception; violation; penalty; "process server" defined.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(tw...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-552

ipse

MI_XD

let me assist you OC4ME in quantifying your in Michigan... 'it might be the case...' statement as well as meet OCDO's forum criteria...
ipse

Let ME assist YOU Solus in reading the law that you posted...

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.552 Trespass upon lands or premises of another; exception; violation; penalty; "process server" defined.

Sec. 552.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not do any of the following:

(a) Enter the lands or premises of another without lawful authority after having been forbidden to do so by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.

(b) Remain without lawful authority on the land or premises of another after being notified to depart by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.

These are abandoned locations, meaning they HAVE no owner, unless it be the municipality or the state. And they have NOT been notified to stay out, as was stated there is no signage stating that.

solus

Let ME assist YOU Solus in reading the law that you posted...

snip... (added by solus ~ the statutes were read when i found them after the poster failed to provide a cite for their 'it might be the case' statement.

These are abandoned locations, meaning they HAVE no owner, unless it be the municipality or the state. And they have NOT been notified to stay out, as was stated there is no signage stating that.

1. they are deeded to someone & therefore have an owner!
2. the initial posting by the OP didn't mention there was no signage until after i raised the question.

ipse

wizzi01

1. they are deeded to someone & therefore have an owner!
2. the initial posting by the OP didn't mention there was no signage until after i raised the question.

ipse

You must not be from Michigan. If you were you would understand the situation in Detroit. The cops usually don't go after scrappers because they don't know who the owner of the property. Without that information who is there to press charges? Maybe you can come by and find the owners of the properties for the op since you think it is easy.

FreeInAZ

At Shadow - a couple of things from my time in MI (moved to AZ a few years ago) so do your research as things change. MI has NO knife preemption. So carrying one leaves you open to local ordinances.

Batons (were/are) illegal for the public in MI (only police & security agencies).
http://www.my-self-defense.com/michigan-expandable-baton-laws.html

MI has/had very strict laws on pepper spay / MACE. Make sure it meets MI requirements.

Open carry is legal, however it is GREATLY aided by having a CPL. Otherwise you are limited to carrying on foot & must be very aware of where you can't carry without the permit (basically anywhere that is licensed to sell alcohol) aka Meijer, Kroger, party stores, gas stations etc ....

If you do OC be VERY careful when going to & from your car. MI considers anywhere in or on the car to be in the car. That means without the CPL you could be charged with a felony for simply loading/unloading your pistol inside your trunk or on the bumper, truck bed / tailgate.

If there ever was a state that needed Constitutional Carry, MI sure fits the bill in my honest opinion.

For opencarry laws in MI see MSP legal update #86

For stun guns see #100 (must have CPL , must buy & take training from authorized sellers, must use confetti cartridges that shoot the serial #'s out with probes etc....)

for a start on what you need to know.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-3493_57129_57131---,00.html

Good luck & hope you don't need it.

Last edited: