• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO OC encounter at Lowes

Cisco

Yesterday, I went to Lowes to buy some paint for a job. It took the paint department awhile to make my order, as they were having trouble matching the color I wanted. I was with my wife, sons, and a friend.

After about an hour, two Deputy Sheriffs came up to me and asked if they could talk to me. I walked away from my wife and sons. He told me that they had received a call about a MWAG. He told me that he understood that it is perfectly legal for me to OC, and since I was wearing a long duster, he made sure that my weapon was completely visible, which it was. He asked me if I had a CCW, and I replied that I do not, but do not need one to OC, which he agreed was correct. He asked for my blue card. I informed him that I did not need one, because I live in Nye County, and firearm registrations are not required there, or any other County in Nevada, except Clark. He was surprised, and said he did not know that! I then told him that even if I lived in Clark County, I would not have to carry the blue card, as it is not required. He agreed that that was true. He never asked to see my ID. He told me that, "probably some damn eastern tourist called in alarmed, being ignorant of Nevada laws".

The Lowe's clerk was livid that the cops were called on me! He stayed with me the whole time. The cop asked me if I knew that, if Lowes wanted me to leave, I had to. I agreed. He asked the clerk if he was OK with my being there. The clerk said, "of course!" We have people bringing in their dogs, why not a gun? This is Bull***." The deputies thanked me for my time, and turned around to leave. I stopped them and shook their hands, thanked them for being professional in their work and knowledgeable in the laws, and wished them a Merry Christmas. (To hell with that "happy holidays" PC crap).

I then turned around to thank the clerk, but he disappeared. I then went to the customer service desk, and asked for the manager. When he came, I thanked him. He didn't know what was going on. When I told him that somebody called the cops on me, he got very agitated. He thought one of the employees made the call! I told him that it was another customer, and on the contrary, one of his employees stayed with me the whole time and defended me, which is why I was thanking him. I told him that I spent $600.00 plus on paint and materials, and I would be sure to recommend his store to everybody. He thanked me, and wished me a good day.

This is the Lowes at Buffalo and Summerlin Parkway (or thereabouts).

All in all, a nice experience.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
I'd like to hear the 911 or 311 call that led the dispatcher to waste taxpayer resources by sending out officers. Did the dispatcher try to talk the frantic caller off the ledge? AFAIK, the dispatchers went thru the same training as officers that taught them OC is legal.

Cisco

Though, this story not involving a face plant, or getting proned out, makes for boring reading. Who wants to read about a good OCer/ LE encounter? No conclusions can be jumped to, facts omitted or twisted. I hate these kinds of stories.

I posted it because I like to point out that there are good LEOs out there. We hear too much negative out there, including here. I appreciate the negative stories, as I learn from them; however, what is so bad about pointing out some good stories? Sounds like you might be anti LE. I used to frequent copblock, but in almost a year, I only saw ONE good story. I don't go there anymore.

I did download a voice recorder on my phone, but forgot to activate it. Sorry, I am still fairly new at this.

I have now had a total of three LE encounters, and all have been positive. (Knock on wood).

Sabotage70

That's good to hear. My wife works for Lowes. She's an asst. manager at another store. She's had to set some then straight before. Glad to hear they stuck up for you. I will pass this on to my wife.

Sent from the Droid on roids

The Big Guy

In my opinion the police had no business confronting you without first verifying with Lowe's management whether you were being asked to leave or causing a problem. To respond to a MWAG call in a store because he is quietly buying paint supplies with his family is beyond all common sense. Dispatch should have asked the caller if there was a disturbance and when they said "no, he's buying paint", they should have told them that you were within your rights and that should have ended it. I hope that Lowe's contacts them and files a complaint. If it was my store I sure as hell would.

Again, when are we going to hold the Sheriff responsible for his department?

TBG

gmijackso

I'd like to hear the 911 or 311 call that led the dispatcher to waste taxpayer resources by sending out officers. Did the dispatcher try to talk the frantic caller off the ledge? AFAIK, the dispatchers went thru the same training as officers that taught them OC is legal.

In theory... Someone could request that call right?

28kfps

Great job of PR Cisco. That is one more LEO and store clerk that realizes not all who open carry legally are unapproachable jerks and are fully aware of the law.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

In theory... Someone could request that call right?

I have not taken my NRS 239 skills this far yet but... if someone wants to ring there bell,

Call 311 (you get communications)

ask for research. (work hours)

ask them if they handle the 911/311 calls... (bet they do)

ask what does it cost, and what gets redacted?

I think i have asked this beforew and $90 comes to mind.

Last edited:

Merlin

I also OC at this same Lowes quite frequently, and have never had an issue. I think the agenda of awareness and desensitization is working. During a down economy is a great time to push this agenda as well. Finally, I think the OP thanking everyone involved is worthwhile, even if the encounter wasn't textbook ideal. Letting the LEO know that we appreciate them making the effort to properly handle our OC rights is worthwhile. I am willing to let them slide on the small stuff as long as I feel their intent was to do the actual right thing.

I know the ideal is to never have this conversation with an LEO, but the fact is, we are going to have this conversation many times before that ideal is achieved. Don't let the "ideal" be the enemy of the "much improved compared to a year ago".

KBCraig

He asked for my blue card. I informed him that I did not need one, because I live in Nye County, and firearm registrations are not required there, or any other County in Nevada, except Clark. He was surprised, and said he did not know that!

He told me that, "probably some damn eastern tourist called in alarmed, being ignorant of Nevada laws".
My irony meter just spiked.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
My irony meter just spiked.

Interesting thought. Obviously a Nye County resident is going to be far more likely to be familiar with Clark County's blue card scheme than an out of state visitor, or even a northern NV resident. How might this situation have been different if it were a visitor from Reno, and when asked about the "Blue Card" responded honestly that they never heard of it and therefore don't have one. Would this officer, who didn't know the Blue Card is for Clark County residents only, have chosen to arrest this Reno person?

I know it's all a game of hypothetical questions, but, the officer DID ask for the blue card, so even though he knows open carry is legal, the fact that he asked the question is pretty clear evidence the officer was looking for some reason to jam the guy up. Otherwise, why ask?

Yard Sale

the officer DID ask for the blue card, so even though he knows open carry is legal, the fact that he asked the question is pretty clear evidence the officer was looking for some reason to jam the guy up. Otherwise, why ask?
1. Potentially, carrier could say things regarding his lack of blue card, making himself a criminal suspect for having an unregistered handgun in Clark county.
2. Potentially, carrier could hand over his blue card, officer could run his name for wants and warrants, and make an arrest for outstanding warrants, parole violation, felon with a firearm, etc.
He was fishing because he didn't want to leave the call empty-handed.