• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Licensed Texan Driving Through

Atomterrible

I'm glad to see the new AG's ruling on open carry, but just to be totally certain, even under the old AG's opinion from 2013, driving from Texas and back to Texas would undoubtedly be considered traveling, correct? And I can stop and eat at restaurants that even serve alcohol if they seat 50 people or greater.

I figure that's the only potential thing I need to be aware of, and I have read through the list several times on Handgunlaw.us. Is that up to date?

Anything specific I should be extra careful to do? I'll only be in state for part of a day, but I'll take the opportunity to warm up for Jan. 1st in Texas.

Thanks, y'all!

caoxinfinity

I'm not familiar with any restrictions regarding restaurant capacity as relates to carry, open or otherwise. Arkansas, in my opinion, is still a "carry at your own risk" endeavor. I know what the law says, but that doesn't mean you won't be harassed or even arrested by LEO that either aren't familiar or don't agree with the new law. It varies from city to city and county to county. I know this because I have a prosecutor in the family.

Last edited:

Atomterrible

I was only in-state for a few hours in the Fort Smith and Van Buren area around 425 West Kibler. I ate at a Carl's Jr. (or is it Hardee's in AR?) with no problems, picked up a UHAUL, and picked up a large equipment delivery to drive back to TX. One guy who worked at the equipment place lives in OK, and he admired my sidearm and related the stupidity of the whole affair and the AG request that the police not arrest anyone.

I might have thought about it longer if I was going to be in the area for a few days, but I probably would have done the same. 45 other states beat Texas at least a little, and I'll jump on any opportunity that a state psuedo-offers me to take responsibility for myself. I figured the chances were pretty slim for a negative encounter for just an afternoon, though I do believe I fit the "journey" description better than most OCers that day.

Last edited: