• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lidl anti gun

WalkingWolf

Well we stopped for the Lidl grand opening, didn't enter the store. They did not have the typical gun buster sign, but a no this, and that sign, top of the list no firearms. From what I have seen online videos of the inside they are nothing special. We will still give our money to Walmart, and Food Lion.

The store is only 36K square feet, and they carry non food junk, so I see concerns with selection, and I doubt their prices will be worth supporting an anti gun store.

FBrinson

Interesting

Well we stopped for the Lidl grand opening, didn't enter the store. They did not have the typical gun buster sign, but a no this, and that sign, top of the list no firearms. From what I have seen online videos of the inside they are nothing special. We will still give our money to Walmart, and Food Lion.

The store is only 36K square feet, and they carry non food junk, so I see concerns with selection, and I doubt their prices will be worth supporting an anti gun store.

My wife and I shopped at the Lidl in Newport News/Hampton area yesterday. I did not see any signs prohibiting firearms but I admit I did not read any posters since I was actually looking for the gun buster sign. There were two security guards at the entrance and either they did not notice my gun or chose to ignore it.

As for the store itself. It is just a glorified Aldi's, and Aldi's aint much. The deli is just bagels, donuts, and thaw and sell breads. The produce is merchandised in their original shipping boxes and the prices were fair but selection was very limited, as you will see in every department. The meat department consisted of a case of no-brand-name chicken tenders and boneless breasts, two or three of the cases were obviously broken and had no meat in them at all. There was no beef merchandised anywhere, probably should have been in one of the broken cases. The lunchmeat case offered no variety except no-brand-name junk. Juice? Nah, only generic juice and 4 half gallons of Minute Maid lemonade. No lactose free products that I could find. The middle two aisles of the store contained pallets upon pallets of junk. If you need to buy bulk supplies of phone chargers and drink coaster then this is a good deal for you. Otherwise, its all junk!
Frozen food contained a minimal selection of name brands and 90% non-branded garbage that 7-11 wouldn't even carry. The beer case had no major brands, no budweiser, no miller, no coors, the only recognizable name I saw was a pallet of PBR. I picked up a 4pack of Belgian Ale and the power to the beer case went out at the same time causing a thermal curtain to automatically come down, which hit me in the wrist. The toilet paper section contained 5 or so pallets of non-branded items. Health and beauty care was a 20 foot section of cheap k-mart style selections.

My wife and I grabbed two packs of hot dogs, Bar S brand since that was the ONLY brand they carried that we could find. We had to go to WaWa to get hot dog buns as Lidl had none. Upon checkout, I noticed that there were no bag racks on the registers. There was a bagger who bagged for us using some fancy plastic bags. These same bags were stored on the CUSTOMERS side of the register with price labels of 6 cents and 10 cents. I have a feeling that once the grand opening is over, you will have to purchase your own plastic bags. Time will tell.

The air conditioning was not working in the store and the cashier was covered in sweat.

I don't know if the 'rack n sack' style stores (Aldi's and Lidl) will become popular in Virginia but I hope not. I really do not like the bulk non branded 'stack a case on the shelf and call it done' type of grocery stores at all. There is absolutely no personal one on one contact with associates in any of the 'fresh' departments. There are no value added products or in-store made foods to be found with the exception of the bakery which MAY bake some par baked items.

I took about 100 pictures while there last night if anyone wants to see how bad it really was.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
My wife and I shopped at the Lidl in Newport News/Hampton area yesterday.

If it was the one on Jefferson Ave, I think it opened *very* recently. That *may* explain some of the understocking, but still, sheesh, sounds pretty bad...

My first exposure to Aldi & Lidl was last year in and around Munich. They struck me as barely different variations on the same theme. I wasn't impressed. Granted, Germany and the US are different markets. Margins are small in that business, and both focus on low prices through store brands, etc. I learned that Russian manufactured antiperspirant didn't make my pits radioactive.

When Aldi arrived here last year, my wife went and was not impressed.

Circling back to the OP, I doubt we'll have much use for Lidl, regardless of their stance. If they're anti, our avoidance will be all the sweeter.

WalkingWolf

Food store stocks are tanking with the AmaXon acquisition of Whole Foods.

Probably just temporary, from what I have read people prefer Kroger to Whole Foods. Supermarkets are a hard business, non perishables are only around a 10% profit margin, perishable departments are around 40%. That is not including labor, infrastructure costs, only the base cost to the cost on the shelf.

Then there is Walmart who really does not need to make much money on groceries. It is not unusual for clothing, and electronics to be 200% over cost, or more. I worked loss prevention at Monkey Wards part time decades ago. Employees could buy returned items nothing wrong with them for cost. That cost was often 1/4 of the retail price, but like Sears, and JC Penny's stores are located in high rent property so they still fail with their mark up. Grocery stores have a steady business, if they lose that they fail. Walmart made a smart move to the super stores, people tend to buy high profit stuff while food shopping. Unless Amazon is going to compete on this level they will not affect most grocery stores, and even if they do Walmart beat down Target. Of course a lot of that is Target's own fault.