• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Life In Dickson City

jahwarrior

It seems to me the teen could use some work on her English language skills.

her social skills could use a tweak, too. that's not how you approach an adult to engage conversation. even when i was a little hoodlum kid in NYC, and talked liked she did, i still approached adults politely, using the English skills my parents taught me. i was not quite offended, but i made it clear by my body language i was not interested in talking to her further.

the influx on NYC/NJ culture in my area is troubling. i'm a NYC transplant, but i left the negative aspects of that culture behind me when i left it. i'm still a New Yorker, but i adopted PA as my home, and adoptted the culture as my own, as well. i didn't try to change my environment, or resent it. it wouldn't be so bad if the the culture being imported wasn't a ghetto culture, which is what i'm seeing. low income housing is popping up everywhere, attitudes are changing, and crime is on the rise. if it were possible for me to move out of NEPA, i would, just to avoid it a little longer. i didn't fight my way out of the ghetto, just to have it be delivered to my doorstep 15 years later.

Last edited:

jahwarrior

so, today, i had to go to family court, to deal with a custody issue. i can't get into that. what i can get into was i wasn't given a hard time by the beautiful deputy working the door. i pointed my hip at her (and felt kind of silly doing it) and told her i needed to check my gun. she said, "okay. just hang on and let me get these people through," motioning to the people ahead of me in line.

i walked through, showed her my LTCF (which i still don't get), and they pointed me to a locker. this part is always different. either a deputy insists i don't touch it, and takes my gun from me themselves, and locks it up, giving me the key, or they let me do everything on my own. once i was disarmed before i even got through the metal detector. that guy was a particular douchebag.

once i got squared away, i took care of my business. when it came time to retrieve my things (gun, knife, digital camera), i asked a deputy if he'd like to retrieve my gun, or could i do it. he told me to go on and get it, holster it, and leave by thr front entrance. another, older deputy walked over, and asked, "who are you with?"

"oh, i had a custody conference today."

"no, who are you with? what department."

the first deputy piped in. "no, no....he's a citizen." i was surprised at his choice of words. the older deputy looked at hm, and said, "what?"

the first deputy put his hand up, and said. "he's a private citizen. he's fine." i smiled, and thanked hi. i never got his name; i was in a bit of a rush. i could hear the older deputy behind me saying in the background, "what do you mean he doesn't have to conceal?"

my lawyer's pretty awesome, too, not like the last ******* i dealt with. walking towards his office, he asked me to cover up when we got there, as to not freak out his associates. i offered to cover up then and there, if it made him comfortable.

"buddy, i'm comfortable knowing there are people right now walking around legally armed, to defend themselves, and that we have the right to do it."

WIN.

PavePusher

Oh, that was a language. Urban dialect of Modern English. Largely emotive and tonal while being relatively content-free. Intended mostly to indicate tribal affiliation while obfusticating all meaning to foreigners.

It seems to me the teen could use some work on her English language skills.

Last edited:

Cisco

"hahahahaha! listen, buddy, that badge means absolutely dick here. for one thing, open carry is legal throughout PA. for another thing, you can't enforce NJ law here. for one last thing, every cop in this town is now painfully aware that open carry is legal."

"shut up."

"i said shut up. just shut the **** up, already." he mumbled something under his breath, and i walked out.

"speaking of covering up, you should wear a shirt that covers that flab next time you leave the house."

AWESOME!!! You have some cojones, my friend!

Fallschirjmäger

If an openly carried method of self defense is not a deterrent, then why pray tell are police departments spending thousands of dollars per officer to make sure their personnel are obvious to the public with shiny badges, distinctive uniforms, reflective striping and custom graphics on their cars?

Visible deterrence works, folks. People don't mess with wild animals that are showing fangs, they don't blithely walk into snake dens, and the semi-sane ones don't try to climb fences topped with razor wire.

hermannr

email i received from Giant management today:

Remember, ask for PUBLISHED corporate policy. An email from CS doesn't cut it.

There is an Email floating around the Net from a secretary to a couple big wigs at Costco that says Costco has a No-guns policy...No, that is not true. Ms secretary may wish so, but it is not so. Look at your club membership agreement...no mention.

jahwarrior

this thread's gonna be sparse over the next few months, since i'm now in concealment mode. i get cold when the temperature drops below 60 degrees, so i'm wearing sweatshirts, jackets, and coats from now until April. i did have an occasion to reveal my gun yesterday, though.

i stopped at a coffeeshop in Scranton for coffee, of all things. it's a very cliched coffeeshop, full of the hipster-type, with books and newspapers laying around, and some kind of odd music playing on the radio behind the counter. i asked for an Americano; the server asked what i wanted, and i tried to explain the type of coffee i normally make at home, which is like an espresso, but with milk and sugar. she said that sounds like an Americano, so i ordered it.

it wasn't anything like what i make at home. meh.

anyway, as i sat and sipped it, i saw a guy using a laptop...openly carrying a Glock. he was younger than me, i think, probably early 20's, thinning brown hair, and wiry. my first instinct was to go over and say hi, but he looked like he was busy, so i left him alone. the coffee was hot enough that it took me awhile to sip it. at some point, he got up to order something, so i got up and walked over.

"whatcha got there?"

he turned to look at me, shrugged, and said, "a Glock."

"yeah, i can see that, but what? a 26? a 27?"

that startled him a bit. "oh! uh, it's a 36."

"oh, the .45ACP one?"

"yeah! you carry?"

"yup," i said, opening my jacket, revealing my 1911.

"cool...who makes that one?"

"Taurus."

we chatted a bit. he admitted he was put off by my appearance at first; i had on an olive drab jacket with buttons on it, a scruffy beard, messy hair, and was sitting in a coffeeshop, so he made the same assumption i would have made. so much for the effectiveness of profiling, right?

i wrote down the website URL for this place, told him my handle here, and hopefully he'll be around. he was from Hazleton, but was in Scranton on business.

after he left, i sat to finish my coffee, and to use to computer they had in the shop. as i got up to leave, i overheard two people talking about the man with the Glock. "yeah, he's probably one of those Tea Bagger idiots, hahahahaha, gonna carry an assault rifle to the bookstore next, hahahahahaha, he thinks this is Texas, hahahahaha...." they were a young couple, also probably in their 20's. the man wore a trucker cap with some Kanji on it, a corduroy blazer, skinny girl jeans, and white shoes. his female companion had short, black hair, glasses she probably didn't need, a blue coat with a faux-fur lined collar, and Mary Janes. i recognized the male from our own local OWS crowd. i won't bother differentiating who said what in the following exchange, because it doesn't matter.

i stopped, and asked, "you talking about that guy that was in here earlier with the gun?"

"yeah, hahaha. did you see that ****?"

"yeah, i saw. i talked to him a bit."

"oh yeah? weren't you afraid he would flip out and shoot you? hahahaha."

"uh, no. he was alright."

"yeah, riiiight. what a tool that guy was. i mean, seriously. this is a freaking coffeeshop? really? you needed to strap on a piece to buy a latte? really? afraid the Man is gonna come and steal your scone? hahahahahahaah."

"well, it's his right."

"please...don't tell me you believe in that crap the NRA puts out there, about the Second Amendment and all that. hello? a well regulated militia? that's for, like, the National Guard, or something. i don't see that douchebag in uniform, hahahahahaha."

"i hate the NRA."

"sweet, we do too. like people really need guns, anyway. what kind of @$$hole thinks they need to carry a gun around, unless they're a cop or something?"

i stepped back, and drew my jacket back, revealing my gun. "i'm not a cop, so i guess i'm one of those @$$holes."

they weren't laughing anymore, and just sat there, a little dumbfounded.

"as for the 2A, it's not for, like, the National Guard, or something. it doesn't give anyone any rights, it recognizes that the right exists, for self defense, from a common criminal to your own corrupt government. and, anyone who automatically assume that a person with a gun is going to flip out and start shooting people has a serious anger management issue."

the female got indignant. "what's that supposed to mean?"

"when i see a cop with a gun, i don't think to myself, oh, he's gonna shoot me. i see a guy doing his job. when i see a citizen with a gun, i don't think, oh, $hit, he's gonna flip out and kill everyone. i think, huh, i wonder what he's got there, and i think, huh, he obviously must not be a criminal. violence isn't the first thing that comes to my mind. in contrast, the first thing you two thought of was a mass murder scenario. that's sick. how sad it is you think everyone around you is trying to kill you."

"i'm not the one carrying a gun around!"

"good. if anyone's the type to go on a shooting spree, it would be someone like you." i turned around, and walked off.

yeah, i know, i shouldn't have bothered, but i can't abide rude people, especially intellectual elitists who have such poor fashion sense. stupid hipsters.

kadar

Your slipping, Jah. No zingers. :shocker:
I think CC'ing is affecting your wit.
:p

DocWalker

this thread's gonna be sparse over the next few months, since i'm now in concealment mode. i get cold when the temperature drops below 60 degrees, so i'm wearing sweatshirts, jackets, and coats from now until April. i did have an occasion to reveal my gun yesterday, though.

i stopped at a coffeeshop in Scranton for coffee, of all things. it's a very cliched coffeeshop, full of the hipster-type, with books and newspapers laying around, and some kind of odd music playing on the radio behind the counter. i asked for an Americano; the server asked what i wanted, and i tried to explain the type of coffee i normally make at home, which is like an espresso, but with milk and sugar. she said that sounds like an Americano, so i ordered it.

it wasn't anything like what i make at home. meh.

anyway, as i sat and sipped it, i saw a guy using a laptop...openly carrying a Glock. he was younger than me, i think, probably early 20's, thinning brown hair, and wiry. my first instinct was to go over and say hi, but he looked like he was busy, so i left him alone. the coffee was hot enough that it took me awhile to sip it. at some point, he got up to order something, so i got up and walked over.

"whatcha got there?"

he turned to look at me, shrugged, and said, "a Glock."

"yeah, i can see that, but what? a 26? a 27?"

that startled him a bit. "oh! uh, it's a 36."

"oh, the .45ACP one?"

"yeah! you carry?"

"yup," i said, opening my jacket, revealing my 1911.

"cool...who makes that one?"

"Taurus."

we chatted a bit. he admitted he was put off by my appearance at first; i had on an olive drab jacket with buttons on it, a scruffy beard, messy hair, and was sitting in a coffeeshop, so he made the same assumption i would have made. so much for the effectiveness of profiling, right?

i wrote down the website URL for this place, told him my handle here, and hopefully he'll be around. he was from Hazleton, but was in Scranton on business.

after he left, i sat to finish my coffee, and to use to computer they had in the shop. as i got up to leave, i overheard two people talking about the man with the Glock. "yeah, he's probably one of those Tea Bagger idiots, hahahahaha, gonna carry an assault rifle to the bookstore next, hahahahahaha, he thinks this is Texas, hahahahaha...." they were a young couple, also probably in their 20's. the man wore a trucker cap with some Kanji on it, a corduroy blazer, skinny girl jeans, and white shoes. his female companion had short, black hair, glasses she probably didn't need, a blue coat with a faux-fur lined collar, and Mary Janes. i recognized the male from our own local OWS crowd. i won't bother differentiating who said what in the following exchange, because it doesn't matter.

i stopped, and asked, "you talking about that guy that was in here earlier with the gun?"

"yeah, hahaha. did you see that ****?"

"yeah, i saw. i talked to him a bit."

"oh yeah? weren't you afraid he would flip out and shoot you? hahahaha."

"uh, no. he was alright."

"yeah, riiiight. what a tool that guy was. i mean, seriously. this is a freaking coffeeshop? really? you needed to strap on a piece to buy a latte? really? afraid the Man is gonna come and steal your scone? hahahahahahaah."

"well, it's his right."

"please...don't tell me you believe in that crap the NRA puts out there, about the Second Amendment and all that. hello? a well regulated militia? that's for, like, the National Guard, or something. i don't see that douchebag in uniform, hahahahahaha."

"i hate the NRA."

"sweet, we do too. like people really need guns, anyway. what kind of @$$hole thinks they need to carry a gun around, unless they're a cop or something?"

i stepped back, and drew my jacket back, revealing my gun. "i'm not a cop, so i guess i'm one of those @$$holes."

they weren't laughing anymore, and just sat there, a little dumbfounded.

"as for the 2A, it's not for, like, the National Guard, or something. it doesn't give anyone any rights, it recognizes that the right exists, for self defense, from a common criminal to your own corrupt government. and, anyone who automatically assume that a person with a gun is going to flip out and start shooting people has a serious anger management issue."

the female got indignant. "what's that supposed to mean?"

"when i see a cop with a gun, i don't think to myself, oh, he's gonna shoot me. i see a guy doing his job. when i see a citizen with a gun, i don't think, oh, $hit, he's gonna flip out and kill everyone. i think, huh, i wonder what he's got there, and i think, huh, he obviously must not be a criminal. violence isn't the first thing that comes to my mind. in contrast, the first thing you two thought of was a mass murder scenario. that's sick. how sad it is you think everyone around you is trying to kill you."

"i'm not the one carrying a gun around!"

"good. if anyone's the type to go on a shooting spree, it would be someone like you." i turned around, and walked off.

yeah, i know, i shouldn't have bothered, but i can't abide rude people, especially intellectual elitists who have such poor fashion sense. stupid hipsters.

Good job, I OC most of the time but will CC in the winter when I wear a large jacket. If I go some place I take my jacket off while in the store or dining establishment.

60 degrees is warm, I wouldn't even need a jacket. But again I'm in idaho and it gets really cold at times.

Haz.

Broad arrow cafe, port arthur.

Sunday 28th April 1996 at Port Arthur. BROAD ARROW CAFE, PORT ARTHUR.

Most Australians and many people all over the world if at all, are only vaguely aware of the events that occurred on this day. We have been told that a gunman armed with a Colt AR15 semi automatic rifle fired 29 rounds inside the Broad Arrow Café at Port Arthur, killing 20 and wounding another 12 of the approximately 60 people inside the café. It is also stated that the killer fired seventeen shots, killing twelve and wounding another five victims in the first fifteen seconds. Most of the dead were headshot, and the killer fired from the right hip, not from sighted shots.

jahwarrior

Today, I decided to take a little "me" time. I don't leave the house often, at least not alone, unless it's to go to work or some such thing. But, my lady always tells me that I have the option to do it whnever I want, and lately, I've been a little stir crazy, so I decided to take off for a bit.

My first stop was the flea market in Eynon. I walked around a bit, then tok my coat off, when I started to sweat a bit. I' ve never had a problem there. Once, some guy started to say something about me carrying, but not directly to me. I shot him a look, and he shut up. I bought my girlfriend some bandanas, a keychain pepper spray unit from the knife guy (every flea market has one), and a pair of gloves for work. The knife guy gave me an ankle holster, which I'm going to have to work on in order to get it to fit my Baby Browning .25ACP.

I stopped off at the local state store on Rt. 6, to price booze. When I pulled out of the parking lot, I heard a "thumpthumpthumpthumpthump" sound coming from one of my tires. "Sonofabitch!" I snarled. It sounded like a I had a flat tire. I pulled over and checked it. Nope, all the tires were fine. Then I noticed, on the front passenger tire, a big ass screw or bolt sticking out of the tire. Goddamnit. I drove to Walmart, but they wouldn't work on it, because the tires on my truck weren't standard. They suggested I go to Pep Boys. I took a short drive there, and the guy at the service desk my keys. I began to walk around, then took my coat off after awhile.

One of the sales people, a short, squat woman, approached me. "Excuse me, sir, is that a real gun?"

"Yup."

"Oh, okay. See, Scott, I told you it was real," she yelled to a guy behind the counter. The guy she yelled at laughed and walked off. "Can I help you with anything, sir?"

"No, I'm just having my tire plugged."

"Okay. If you need anything, just ask."

My truck was done in about 15 minutes. I headed to BAM!, the bookstore that took the place of Borders. Nothing except the name had changed. I grabbed a bunch of gun, knife, tattoo, and art magazines, ordered a hot chocolate, then sat down at a table.

There's this one guy I always see there. He must live there, because he sits at the same table, every time, and the staff know his name. He looks to be in his late 50's or early 60's, wears thick black rimmed glasses, a wool jacket, and a scarf, from October until May. He often has company, usually one or two men his age, or a few college aged people. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing his profession has something to do with academia. He has the unfortunate habit of, upon seeing me, bringing up the topic of guns, people with guns, the 2A, and why all of them are bad, sick, evil, outdated, and unnecessary. He only ever does it when he sees me open carrying, and uses me as a reference, while never actually directly addressing. I normally ignore him, and just read my magazines. I normally just scoff to myself, and shake my head, when I hear him spout off some inaccurate fact or statistic relating to gun control and gun violence.

This time, though, I was already having a $h!tty day, and when I heard him say to his friend, "....he could get stand up and shoot you, and you couldn't do anything about it," I'd just about had enough of listening to his bullsh!t.

"Excuse me," I said. "Were you talking to me? Or talking about me?"

He looked surprised, and scowled. "Uh....no."

I smiled, and said, "Oh, that's funny, because I've noticed that every time I come here to hang out, and you see me, armed, you manage to bring up your stupid f@cking opinions about guns and stuff."

He got defensive, and a little mad, I think. "Well, I wasn't talking about you, but..."

"The fact that you don't even have the b@lls to say sh!t to my face tells me that you're not only a moral coward, but an intellectual pu$$y, who only feels safe debating a topic when he's surrounded by lackeys and retards who'll agree with him. Shoot you dead? I'd sooner get up and smack you in the mouth, buddy. It'd be funnier, in any case. You're not worth shooting, anyway. And the fact that you're first reaction to seeing someone with a gun is thinking aboout mass shootings says that you're the one with the issues, not me."

He sat there shocked, and I picked up my sh!t, and moved to another table. A few minutes later, I just left.

Yeah, I know I could have handled that better. But you know what? If I'd approached that moron calmy, and attempted to discuss the issue, using actual facts and statistics, he would've been rude, and dismissive, anyway. He's been a rude @$$hole for as long as I've been going to this bookstore, I just never responded to him before. So, screw it. I got what I wanted to say off my chest, and hopefully, the next time he sees me, he'll keep his f*cking mouth shut.

Last edited:

carracer

I drove to Walmart, but they wouldn't work on it, because the tires on my truck weren't standard.

Walmart in Nampa Id wouldn't work on my tires either so I quit doing business with their auto dept.

Other than a few f-bombs I'm not sure I would have said anything different to the bookstore fellow. Like you, it certainly wouldn't keep me from frequenting there.

Keep us informed.

Cisco

To Jahwarrior72 and SP101 - You guys make my day. I hope that when I leave NJ and go to a State that does not restrict open carry, I have the ability to respond to a NJ LEO or any other LEO the same way you did. I just don't think I could respond as well. If it happened exactly as you both said, you are my heroes. Keep up the good work.

Here, here!

tyc

Yeah, I know I could have handled that better. But you know what? If I'd approached that moron calmy, and attempted to discuss the issue, using actual facts and statistics, he would've been rude, and dismissive, anyway. He's been a rude @$$hole for as long as I've been going to this bookstore, I just never responded to him before.

Yes, you could have handled it better but from what you've relayed to us, I for one thought you did rather well. The I and A members understand blunt language, not that it will do much good ... there's and old adage which goes, "There are none so blind and those who will not see" or the other side of the "coin", "there are none so deaf as those who will not hear."

... as for the cursing, keep in mind that there may/might be women and children around. If there weren't - well done!

tyc

jahwarrior

So, today, I decided to take my son along with me while I walked the dog. I had to figure out how I was going to push a stroller while holding a leash, but then I figured I'd just attach the leash to the stroller handle. It's a nice day, and I don't get to enjoy them, because of working the night shift.

On the other side of the block, there was a man picking up garbage from in front of his garage. As I passed him, he looked at me, and I heard him gasp, "Oh jeez!"

I turned just in time to see him scurry into his garage and out of sight. Weird. My dog is 10 months old and nearly 100 lbs, but it's not like he's that scary looking.