• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
What do you mean I don't think you're the cream of the crop? Fact: I started open carrying at 18 because concealed carry wasn't an option and even sometimes after I could conceal carry. Fact: I've hosted open carry events. Fact: I fully support all responsible carry. Fact: Open carrying a gun with a holster that does not have active retention is not responsible open carry.
You not supporting irresponsible carry would not sit well with the Mommies Demand Action crowd.

And I am glad that you understand we at OCDO are the cream of the crop. You are a wise man.:D

xmanhockey7

You not supporting irresponsible carry would not sit well with the Mommies Demand Action crowd.

And I am glad that you understand we at OCDO are the cream of the crop. You are a wise man.:D

Lol

ETA: I should say this. Everyone should carry responsibly. However, their choice to be armed ignorant irresponsible idiots is their right. Now, should they do something like shoot at shoplifters fleeing a Home Depot then they should be held responsible for their ignorance. Similarly if someone chooses to open carry in a no retention Springfield XD-s and someone is able to take it from them and shoot them with it, well they're very clearly being held responsible for their ignorance.

Last edited:

solus

I was concealed carry because that's my preferred method of carry. Not knowing who those guys are isn't a big deal, but I will say if you ever have a chance to take a class with either, especially William Aprill's "Unthinkable" class do it. His lecture on violent criminal actors is simply excellent.

yipee, maybe aprill has at least a masters in social work w/o any CV purporting advance study or published reference material in violent criminal behaviour except oh wait, he is a former deputy...so why is he considered a subject matter expert...or are there "PT" in his middle name?

ipse

Last edited:

Michigander

At the most recent protest against the dpd, a guy driving by yelled that he had one too, and (safely) waved a draco at us. It was pretty funny.

In 2 hours probably got about 200 honks, 40 pictures taken of us, about 30 people yelling **** the police, and one guy who looked like an off duty Detroit cop saying go **** yourselves while giving us a one finger salute out his window, to which I replied " thank you sir have a nice day!"

It was an excellent walk.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
At the most recent protest against the dpd, a guy driving by yelled that he had one too, and (safely) waved a draco at us. It was pretty funny.

In 2 hours probably got about 200 honks, 40 pictures taken of us, about 30 people yelling **** the police, and one guy who looked like an off duty Detroit cop saying go **** yourselves while giving us a one finger salute out his window, to which I replied " thank you sir have a nice day!"

It was an excellent walk.

he was probably undercover on duty and trying to bait you into disorderly charges. because that's how they roll.

Liberty-or-Death

... if someone chooses to open carry in a no retention Springfield XD-s and someone is able to take it from them and shoot them with it ...
I tire of this what-if scenario bandied about as if it were gospel, usually by a thoroughly indoctrinated CC'er. <heavy sigh>
A better argument for positive retention would be as insurance against a poorly parented chap behind you in the checkout line wanting to take a closer look.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7

... if someone chooses to open carry in a no retention Springfield XD-s and someone is able to take it from them and shoot them with it ...
I tire of this what-if scenario bandied about as if it were gospel, usually by a thoroughly indoctrinated CC'er. <heavy sigh>
A better argument for positive retention would be as insurance against a poorly parented chap behind you in the checkout line wanting to take a closer look.
Such references take on the quality of chalk screeching on a blackboard - offends my ears and intelligence. Still waiting for one documented/cited occurrence.

papa bear

Such references take on the quality of chalk screeching on a blackboard - offends my ears and intelligence. Still waiting for one documented/cited occurrence.

GRAPESHOT, I my do the url, but there is a good video on this on YouTube.com

I think the tittle is "retention rant"

DeSchaine

Stopped at Biggby Coffee on West Main today. Young lady behind the counter (college student) noticed my sidearm and asked me a few questions. Seems that she has a vested interest because she doesn't feel totally safe on WMU's campus. Go figure. She was visibly upset when I told her that she probably couldn't have one on campus because she's a student, but to carefully read the student code of conduct and consult with a 2nd Amendment lawyer before making any judgement. Also told her to look up the OCDO and MOC websites for further, non legal, information. A pretty good encounter.

taxman

Banned
I told her that she probably couldn't have one on campus because she's a student

That's where concealed means concealed, but ultimately it's a decision she has to make for herself, assuming she's 21 and the decision wasn't taken out of her hands by lawmakers.

I don't know about her, but I'd love to sue a preempted state agency for denying me the fruits of my education merely because I had been forced to defend myself in their unsafe environment.

Dario

That's where concealed means concealed, but ultimately it's a decision she has to make for herself, assuming she's 21 and the decision wasn't taken out of her hands by lawmakers.

I don't know about her, but I'd love to sue a preempted state agency for denying me the fruits of my education merely because I had been forced to defend myself in their unsafe environment.
uploadfromtaptalk1452521876570.jpg

But this is what they have call boxes for, to keep us safe

DeSchaine

Was stopped and questioned in the Gull Rd. Meijer last night by a college age guy who said my OCing made him think of the wild west. It only took about five minutes of explanation about the laws and rights of the people to irritate him enough that he walked away.

OC for ME

Was stopped and questioned in the Gull Rd. Meijer last night by a college age guy who said my OCing made him think of the wild west. It only took about five minutes of explanation about the laws and rights of the people to irritate him enough that he walked away.
Sooo....you're one of those facts and figures guys. Liberals hate facts and figures, conversations are far too short for them...given their deficiency in applied critical thinking.

HPmatt

View attachment 12915

But this is what they have call boxes for, to keep us safe

I like this kiosk idea - but with one modification - it could have stored fingerprints of all students on campus and when you feel in fear of your life you could stick your hand in it and it would check its fingerprint database and if your tuition and parking fees were paid current, a fully-loaded Hi-Point C-9 would drop out into your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeSchaine

Well, had an interesting day here in Kalamazoo. Went into the main public library branch downtown, surprisingly had no issues there. Got a parking ticket for an expired meter even though I was coming out to put more change in it when it expired. Stopped at the nearby bank (no carry in there) and turned a $10 bill into pennies and went down to the Central City Parking offices to pay the fine. Walked in and was told to "keep your ten dollars of pennies" while the lady behind the counter wrote off the ticket.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well, had an interesting day here in Kalamazoo. Went into the main public library branch downtown, surprisingly had no issues there. Got a parking ticket for an expired meter even though I was coming out to put more change in it when it expired. Stopped at the nearby bank (no carry in there) and turned a $10 bill into pennies and went down to the Central City Parking offices to pay the fine. Walked in and was told to "keep your ten dollars of pennies" while the lady behind the counter wrote off the ticket.

The bank doesn't allow Open Carry? Or, are you carrying without a CPL?

Last edited:

DeSchaine

Doesn't allow any carry. 5/3 got real skittish after the branch on Portage Rd out by the airport got hit multiple times in one year. They now employ armed security guards at several of their locations.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Doesn't allow any carry. 5/3 got real skittish after the branch on Portage Rd out by the airport got hit multiple times in one year. They now employ armed security guards at several of their locations.
Have to wonder what their post orders are. Observe & report or take action to protect & defend customers?