• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Ordinances

garyh9900

I've found a good website that has ordinances for numerous cities throughout Kentucky on it:

http://www.amlegal.com/library/ky/index.shtml

I found some interesting stuff in Paris' ordinances. It appears to ban the concealed and open carry of firearms on all Paris property inside and out:

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Kentucky/paris/cityofpariskentucky/title5publicregulations/chapter52offenses*?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:paris_ky$anc=JD_52.152

CharleyCherokee

Yep. That ordinance has very little force of law. It effectively bars concealed carry inside their buildings and that's all it does. I wish it was closer than 4 hours for me, but I have a feeling someone that lives closer will get on that pretty quickly.

jkestner3

350.031 Is this legal?

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Kentucky/morehead_ky/cityofmoreheadkentucky?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:morehead_ky

I thought keeping a weapon in a personal vehicle was permitted and couldn't be infringed upon?

----correction, i read a little closer and it only means city owned vehicles i do believe. srry

Last edited:

garyh9900

HMMMM. I found it by using the search option at the top and typed "weapons" as my search criteria.
He is referring to 35.031:

"Employees are prohibited from carrying, possessing or storing a deadly weapon while on-duty, or upon city property, including vehicles and equipment owned or controlled by the city while on-duty or off-duty except as listed below..."

They can ban city employees from having firearms in city owned/leased vehicles.

DrakeZ07

It's good to see my hometown obeys atleast one of the state laws, from that page on Owingsville "KRS 65.870 prohibits any city from regulating the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or combinations thereof.)" Under a search for 'weapons'. :D

garyh9900

The Paris City Commission is supposed to address their ordinance related to firearms on September 13th at 9am if anyone lives nearby. Their ordinance appears to ban the concealed and open carry of firearms on city property. I sent an email to their mayor and attorney. The attorney has placed this on the agenda for that day.

garyh9900

Good job. What was their attitude when you brought it to their attention? I hope you can attend that meeting to see that they follow through on changing this. There are several things wrong with that ordinance. It's important to see that what ever they decide to do is better than what they have now and that every defect is addressed and corrected. It's hell to get them to go through this twice because they didn't do it right the first time. Keep an eye on them and keep us advised.
I would characterize their attitude as indifferent, the mayor just advised he would have the city attorney look into the matter and get back with me. The city attorney emailed cc'd me a email to the city clerk asking her to put it on the agenda for the next commission meeting. I would like to attend but it would be very difficult for me to be there for that day and time. I don't know if he will send me something else or not. I was hoping someone nearby would be able to attend.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
He is referring to 35.031:

"Employees are prohibited from carrying, possessing or storing a deadly weapon while on-duty, or upon city property, including vehicles and equipment owned or controlled by the city while on-duty or off-duty except as listed below..."

They can ban city employees from having firearms in city owned/leased vehicles.

A city is a public employer, and being so they cannot deny a employee with a cdwl from carrying firearms in vehicles owned by the city, refer to krs 237.110 for further information. Only a private employer can deny a cdwl holder from carrying in vehicles owned by the employer.

CharleyCherokee

That's all good to hear. Paducah passed their amended law today, and a story was ran on the news at 6. I've not been able to find a video of the coverage, but they interviewed a policeman at the end of the story who encouraged people to call in if they see people in the parks with a gun so they could check them out. You know... make sure they have their permit for that firearm and all of that jazz. I really wish I could find that story so I could get the officer's name. I could probably call up wpsd and find out. :D

KYGlockster

Activist Member
That's all good to hear. Paducah passed their amended law today, and a story was ran on the news at 6. I've not been able to find a video of the coverage, but they interviewed a policeman at the end of the story who encouraged people to call in if they see people in the parks with a gun so they could check them out. You know... make sure they have their permit for that firearm and all of that jazz. I really wish I could find that story so I could get the officer's name. I could probably call up wpsd and find out. :D

Sure sounds like he needs a little update on state law, federal law, and both constitutions. This cop must have forgot where he is, he can't stop someone for simply carrying a firearm, when you get his information would you pass it along to me please, I'd like to inform him of lawsuits that could come his way for illegal search and seizure, not to mention depriving people of their constitutional rights.

CharleyCherokee

Well, I called wpsd today and they told me that the LEO they talked to was the assistant chief Brandon Barnhill. I plan on calling tomorrow to talk with him about his interview. I'll let you know how it goes, and as always please feel free to call yourself and educate the man if you do feel so inclined.

CharleyCherokee

Personally I feel it's was just a way to try and intimidate people to not carry into the parks. A little forewarning that if you do they want people to call in on you so they can investigate and harass you.

Brian D.

Personally I feel it's was just a way to try and intimidate people to not carry into the parks. A little forewarning that if you do they want people to call in on you so they can investigate and harass you.

Wouldn't it be funny if several locals spent a day or so open carrying, and reporting each other to the police via disposable cell phones? Just every few hours, from different parks all across town. That police spokesperson should be careful what he wishes for...

The above is just musing, I wouldn't call it advice or a plan or anything like that. ;)

neuroblades

Why would you need disposable phones? He asked people to call.

First off, BRAVO to Gary & Gutshot on this issues! :)

As for calling in each other to drive the point home of all this foolishness, it definitely sounds like a great idea and would definitely provide for some great outdoor time in the park. *LOL* Just wish that I lived closer. *LOL*

CharleyCherokee

You just keep me updated on how things are going with lobbying for that new preemption law with teeth. Let me know how I can help and all that. If we get such a thing in effect you can bet your ass I'll be pressing the issue so hard they'll be crying. I've been feeling a bit apathetic because things never move as quickly as you'd like, but if I'm given a direction in which to move I'm the type of person who doesn't relent.

Last edited:

garyh9900

I've no doubt you will make their lives uncomfortable. I know your frustration. Patience, grasshopper. The government moves like molasses, unless they are taking your rights, which can be accomplished with amazing speed. If we get the kind of statute Florida passed we won't have to do a thing. They will be running to make sure they are in compliance.
Here is the Florida statute:

http://leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.33.html

Everyone can help by calling, writing and emailing their state legislators and telling them what we want, why it's necessary and that the city and county governments across the state are disrespecting the General Assembly and its members by willfully violating the KRS and have been doing so for years and the KY. League of Cities has added to the problem by failing to properly train city officials and giving them advice and sample ordinances that are themselves in violation of the state law. I think I'll type up a "cheat sheet" for anybody that wants it. Sort of an outline of the points to cover with your legislators. I'll get started on one, post it and everybody can chime in with suggestions on additions, deletions or changes to be made. Then anyone who wants to use it, can call their legislator with confidence that they are saying the right thing. We all need to make multiple calls and other contacts with our legislators between now and Jan. See my post on the thread about the Lexington Gun Show.
I would be nice to have laws with some real teeth in them