• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a different OC pistol... advice?

Lord Sega

I currently OC a Beretta 92FS in a Serpa retention holster.

I like my Beretta 92FS, it's what I trained on in the military, same reason I plan on getting a AR-15 style instead of an AK or some other.

What I'm looking for is a compact (but probably not a sub-compact) pistol that is smaller & lighter but still 9mm.
I would like one that has the same feel/actions on draw & fire, i.e. safety lever (decocker) flips the same direction, strong (but not too strong) trigger pull on the first round.

I've seen, but have no experience with grip or trigger safeties, so I'm not sure if I would find them a problem or not.

Any suggestions or personal favorites you would suggest I look into?

Note: I'm in a small town on the Oregon Coast, so I really don't have a lot of stores or indoor ranges where I can go to rent, look, feel, test a variety of pistols. I hope to web research down to 3 or 4 choices, then I can plan a trip to a renting indoor range & test them out.

Thanks.

Gil223

You might want to look at the CZ-75 series of pistols, particularly those models ending in D (i.e. - CZ-75BD) which indicates "decocker" (since you like that feature). I enjoy mine almost as much as my EDC Glocks. Pax...

Firearms Iinstuctor

A nice 1911 always looks good for open carry or a very nice double action revolver. Getting use to another platform isn't hard. It just takes a bit of practice.

I have carried a lot if different handguns over the years I feel comfortable carrying almost any thing.

If you shoot your 92 with out trouble find another style one you like shoot it a bit and you well find that you well be effect with it.

chowda

What I'm looking for is a compact (but probably not a sub-compact) pistol that is smaller & lighter but still 9mm.
FNX 9. Don't know how to describe--large frame with a medium slide, so it's compact, yet stock mags are normal capacity ones, 17 rounders.

Whatever you buy, go and put it in your hand first to see if it feels comfortable and work the action.

Samopal

You want a smaller pistol with the same battery of arms? How about a Compact 92? :) Beretta has finally made them a standard production item in the US after years of importing small batches here and there.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-92fs-compact-inox-with-rail/

92FS_Compact_Inox.jpg

There's also three sizes of Beretta's PX4 series which have the same controls as the 92. The trigger is similar, they have the same style decocker/safety, etc. The midsize "Compact" seems like it'd work well for you.

px4-compact-lh1.jpg

Then there's S&W's old metal-framed autos. They're discontinued now, but solid guns and there are plenty of used ones on the market. The 6906 seems to be close to what you want. It's a compact aluminum-framed double-stack 9mm with a DA/SA trigger and slide-mounted safety/decocker, just like the Beretta. You can find them for about $450 in great condition. FWIW the trigger is much better than Beretta's 92 or PX4 series, with a wonderfully short and crisp reset that makes accurate rapid fire very easy.

300px-S%26W6906LEFT.jpg

Last edited:

Eeyore

What Samopal said. Only other possibility with a slide-mounted decocker I can think of would be the Baby Desert Eagle line. The steel-framed one are heavy, but they also offer polymer-framed versions. Although the polymer ones are possibly some of the ugliest guns on the planet.

b0neZ

You might want to look at the CZ-75 series of pistols, particularly those models ending in D (i.e. - CZ-75BD) which indicates "decocker" (since you like that feature). I enjoy mine almost as much as my EDC Glocks. Pax...

+1 for the CZ-75.

If budget is a factor, check out the Tanfoglio TA90. It's basically a CZ-75 clone, and a nice shooter.

Lord Sega

Thanks everyone,

You've given me several to research & look into, many makes & models I've never heard of.

While I want something similar to the Beretta 92FS, just smaller/lighter, but with the same "actions" for muscle memory, cash may be an issue soon.

I'm extended in the Air Na't Guard for 6 more months in order to have my medical situation evaluated (sleep apnea, AHI of 95 when 30+ is severe), but either way it goes, I'll be out in March '14. But, at least I made it past 30 years in the Guard (and 14 as a dual status Technician) here in Oregon, hate to leave, but that's life.

Money's not an issue now or even in 6 months, but with the economy the way it is... well, every bit of savings... we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for all the good info.