• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lots of interesting reading in The Volokh Conspiracy today.

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan

OC for ME

...And absent plain incompetence or intentional violations, qualified immunity must attach, because the "social costs" of any other rule are too high ...
This right here tells ya all ya need to know about judges...they are anti-individual liberty and anti-private citizen....easy to hold these anti-liberty views when you enjoy absolute immunity for your official acts.

...don't believe me?

...And we cannot use a halfway theory of judicial precedent to cut back on Terry while faithfully adhering to the exclusionary rule. ...
Terry is repugnant to the constitution...it violates the 4A. A cop can harm your liberty without adhereing to the mandate of due process before our liberty is harmed.

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan
I assisted in a traffic ticket defense. The thug cop obviously lied about being in two places simultaneously. After, the judge acknowledged the fact, but also averred that without cops, good, bad and ugly, he has no persuasive force. Cops are presumed to be truthful and the A/DA’s will crowd the courtroom in cops’ defense. Good, bad and ugly.

I’m waay into Ancient Greek history and of democracy. What we are going through is long foretold. I’m reading Thucydides Peloponnesian War along with Victor Davis Hanson’s A war like no other: how the Athenians and Spartans fought the Peloponnesian War after really enjoying Mogen Herman Hansen’s The Athenian Democracy in the Age of Demosthenes..

We WILL lose our ‘democracy’, as the Greeks did and for the very same reasons - being out numbered by barbarians.. The root of the word barbarian is Greek, for the Greeks hearing helot languages as bar-bar-bar babel. The Spartans’ and the Athenians’ economies depended on barbarian slave labor. The Spartans denied helots citizenship and enfranchisement. The Athenians went back and forth with citizenship, partial rights and no rights as slaves.

I have always had a complete Plato and a complete Aristotle and am very familiar with them from reading them along with Karl Popper’s masterwork, The Open Society and Its Enemies followed by its synopsis The Poverty of Historicism. Popper well falsified Marx’s dialectic for men having free will. Anyone that elevates Marx above whack job is as illiterate as Marx was in mis-translating Aristotle’s Politics

We have a major |user here that styles himself Diogenes Ipse, Solus, well demonstrating his ahistorical illiteracy. None of Diogenes of Sinope writing survived. He is known only by others’ disparaging anecdotes, with the largest mention Diogenes Laertius’ (not quite a contemporary to Diogenes of Sinope) book Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers.

Last edited:

solus

I assisted in a traffic ticket defense. The thug cop obviously lied about being in two places simultaneously. After, the judge acknowledged the fact, but also averred that without cops, good, bad and ugly, he has no persuasive force. Cops are presumed to be truthful and the A/DA’s will crowd the courtroom in cops’ defense. Good, bad and ugly.

I’m waay into Ancient Greek history and of democracy. What we are going through is long foretold. I’m reading Thucydides Peloponnesian War along with Victor Davis Hanson’s A war like no other: how the Athenians and Spartans fought the Peloponnesian War after really enjoying Mogen Herman Hansen’s The Athenian Democracy in the Age of Demosthenes..

We WILL lose our ‘democracy’, as the Greeks did and for the very same reasons - being out numbered by barbarians.. The root of the word barbarian is Greek, for the Greeks hearing helot languages as bar-bar-bar babel. The Spartans’ and the Athenians’ economies depended on barbarian slave labor. The Spartans denied helots citizenship and enfranchisement. The Athenians went back and forth with citizenship, partial rights and no rights as slaves.

I have always had a complete Plato and a complete Aristotle and am very familiar with them from reading them along with Karl Popper’s masterwork, The Open Society and Its Enemies followed by its synopsis The Poverty of Historicism. Popper well falsified Marx’s dialectic for men having free will. Anyone that elevates Marx above whack job is as illiterate as Marx was in mis-translating Aristotle’s Politics

We have a major |user here that styles himself Diogenes Ipse, Solus, well demonstrating his ahistorical illiteracy. None of Diogenes of Sinope writing survived. He is known only by others’ disparaging anecdotes, with the largest mention Diogenes Laertius’ (not quite a contemporary to Diogenes of Sinope) book Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers.

W O W....Dougie!

No segue...nada...without any type of the slightest provocation from myself, the gentleman from Wisconsin just leaps into a bragger’s tirade espousing their great ability to indulge in the translated readings of the ancient writers!

Then out of the blue he lashes out against this august member’s avatar Diogenes of Sinope. That Aristotle acknowledged the existence of the greek philosopher who has been unequivocally credited with being a founder the ‘Cynics’ philosophy is enough for this member!

Dougie, what a sincere disappointment you have not benefitted from your time spent engaged in reading those ancient tomes....

Thanks Dougie for revealing your true personality, out of the blue & w/o provocation ~ since I didn’t provide any commentary to your initial newspeek/social media post which didn’t state anything of merit.