• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisville Zoo

les_aker

imported post

In each ticket window at the Louisville Zoo, there is a "circle-slash" no guns sign along with some verbage about Louisville Ordinance #86-1996 that makes carry of a weapon illegal. I looked it up and it doesn't appear to apply at all. I also thought that KY had complete state pre-emption under KRS 65.870. The Zoo appears to be city own/operated.

Which one is correct?

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I am not a lawyer, but I'd tell that zoo to go **** themselves, pardon my American. Kentucky does have complete statewide pre-emption and if that zoo is run by a governmental body, they cannot post that sign. Zoos are not covered under the list of places off limits while carrying.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
I am not a lawyer, but I'd tell that zoo to go **** themselves, pardon my American. Kentucky does have complete statewide pre-emption and if that zoo is run by a governmental body, they cannot post that sign. Zoos are not covered under the list of places off limits while carrying.
I doubt there is any legal requirement that they not post the sign. They can make any kind of rule they want and post a sign accordingly. Whether they can enforce the rule is something different.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

It's kind of funny when people ask you why you would want to carry in a zoo. You just say 'Hey, look at San Francisco'. I was at the zoo out here the other day and I was amazed at the shitty enclosures for the rhinos. They could run right out if they really wanted to. Yeah, thanks, I'll feel more comfortable with a S&W 500 on my side.