• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested with rifle, handgun near New Orleans Pride Parade

Slidell Jim

The news story states that he was arrested for carry within 1000 ft of a parade. I dont recall that state law, or hearing of it before? Maybe a local NOLA ordinance? If so, then does preemption of state law come into effect?

He sounds like an avid open carrier. And obviously had multiple LEO encounters in recent months.

Full story here:
Advocate News Man arrested.

solus

3 May 19, nola.com, quote
The Louisiana House Criminal Justice Committee on Wednesday (May 1) voted in favor of a bill that would remove local government’s ability to enforce localized gun-carrying laws. If approved, the city of New Orleans would no longer be able to make specific gun regulations, including prohibiting parade-goers from bringing guns near a parade route.

House Bill 281, which now moves to the House floor, would prevent local governments from regulating gun possession and instead require all parishes to follow state law. The committee voted 8-7 in favor of the legislation. Unquote

Soooo it appears the parish(s) politicos have citizen control issues which the state is trying to mitigate & disenfranchise their control.

My money is on the parishes winning the battle and state politicos will go back licking their wounded egos...