• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Robbed with Own Handgun in Minneapolis Mugging

xmanhockey7

MINNEAPOLIS -
Police say a Minneapolis man was walking home May 21 when he was blind-sided by a robber and pushed up against a parked car before his assailant took the victim's gun –- which he had a conceal and carry permit for -– and placed it against his head.

I would like to note that I believe the guy was carrying concealed and that the state of Minnesota issues carry permits not concealed carry permits.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/18656956/man-robbed-with-own-handgun-in-mpls-mugging

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd bet my life (literally) that if that could happen to me, the guy wouldn't know how to shoot a cocked-and-locked 1911.

While this aberration is a statistical zero, there is something to be said for carrying a firearm that requires something other than just a trigger stroke. But this was really only an issue back in the day when open-carrying cops didn't use retention holsters.

MyWifeSaidYes

He wasn't carrying his gun in a holster.

He had "shown" his gun a couple of times to "defuse" situations.

Alrighty, then.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
He wasn't carrying his gun in a holster.

He had "shown" his gun a couple of times to "defuse" situations.

Alrighty, then.

If this really was the case, I'm certain the robber was one of the people that this joker defused earlier. To be blind sided shows a lack of situational awareness. Not blaming a victim, just stating the obvious. To flash a weapon is criminal in many states. It appears this carrier needed many things, most of all more smarts.

Stupid is as stupid does sir. - Forrest Gump.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Leader

If this really was the case, I'm certain the robber was one of the people that this joker defused earlier. To be blind sided shows a lack of situational awareness. Not blaming a victim, just stating the obvious. To flash a weapon is criminal in many states. It appears this carrier needed many things, most of all more smarts.

Stupid is as stupid does sir. - Forrest Gump.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

I guess my questions start with how do YOU define "flash a weapon"?
Next How many is "many"?
Also, could you list the states that "flashing" is illegal in?

cmdr_iceman71

In this scenario the victim was unable to get to his primary CC pistol in time, so can someone explain to me the wisdom in carrying your BUG (back-up gun) concealed as well? I mean if youre in a situation where youre down to drawing your BUG then the sh!t has really hit the proverbial fan and you need just as fast access to your BUG (if not faster) than your primary.

This scenario also goes to prove this maxim true: "Carrying one gun is equivalent to no gun."

Even with the victim totally blindsided and with one arm incapacitated, if he had been carrying second handgun and his carry configuration was such that he could produce a pistol with either hand this robbery would have had a much different outcome.

Had he been OCing one gun and CCing the other he still might have had a fighting chance because the attacker would be forced to go for the OCed handgun first and as they struggled for dominance over the primary the OCer can draw his BUG and prevail.