• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man sentenced to year and a day for swatting

Contrarian

"(Matthew) Tollis was sentenced to 12 months and one day in prison by a judge, in addition to three years of supervised release and 300 hours of community service. "

https://news.yahoo.com/man-gets-prison-swatting-020658786.html

Not directly related to OC but a warning to others (MDA) who might thing this is proper to do.

"US Attorney Deirdre Daly released a statement regarding Tollis’ sentence: "Swatting is not a schoolboy prank, it’s a federal crime. It is our hope that this prosecution and the knowledge that this defendant will serve time in prison and live with a felony conviction for the remainder of his life will deter others from engaging in this immature, dangerous and criminal behavior."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just to demonstrate the confusion:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3559

USC defines a sentence of less than five years but more than one year, as a Class E felony

while The Commonwealth of Virginia classifies a felony as any crime carrying a sentence expressed in years. Sentences expressed in months/days are considered misdemeanors, regardless of how many months/days.

Regardless, I am happy to see that the guy was charged and happier to see that he was convicted.

I would like to see swatting of a specific person moved from "intimidation" to attempted murder.

18 USC 241 prohibits intimidation against Americans for exercising free speech rights. The statute says:

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

This is pretty much what various state laws also say.

The sorts of swatting we mostly discuss here are attempts by one or more individuals trying to cause the victim to be placed in jeopardy of being killed by the responding police officers. Many advocating swatting are quite clear that is their goal, or more specifically for the police to kill the swatting victim. That fits right in with conspiracy to commit first degree murder. And it eliminates the necessity of proving "two or more" persons conspiring.

I don't think the change will happen, but I would be highly pleased if it did.

stay safe.

solus

quote:
Matthew Tollis a 22-year-old arrested last year in September is getting prison time for his involvement in six swatting incidents in 2014, according to the Department of Justice. Tollis, as a member of a group called “Team Crucifix or Die,” faked a bomb threat to the University of Connecticut, which he pled guilty to this summer. As a member he reportedly "identified potential institutions...for TCOD members to make the threatening calls, and gathered telephone numbers and other information about the targeted institutions." Tollis was also involved in threats to three high schools, two in New Jersey and one in Texas, as well as threats directed at Boston University and the Boston Convention Center. unquote

this affects JQPublic who is toddling about their community while OC'g... how?

this savant pushed the buttons of educational institutions and not generating MWAG call against a LAC carrying their firearm. there is no federal crime when MDA or other mischief maker does it in their local community and i am reasonably and comfortably sure the ONLY reason the feds got involved at all was cuz it went across state lines, uh, NJ, TX, MA, CT...

ipse

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
True, if you discount the local police response vs. a FBI HRT flying in from Quantico to take down the innocent victim. Matthew Tollis got off easy...slap on the wrist easy.

http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/

WRONG ANSWER http://www.ibtimes.co.in/swatting-h...tenced-25-years-swatting-article-fake-608161G

A false report stating that a teenager was arrested and sentenced to 25 years in prison for "swatting" has been doing the rounds on social media.
The hoax article was first published by National Report, a satirical website, known for publishing fake articles and later it was carried by NY Meta and Secretsofthefed.com websites.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
WRONG ANSWER http://www.ibtimes.co.in/swatting-h...tenced-25-years-swatting-article-fake-608161G

A false report stating that a teenager was arrested and sentenced to 25 years in prison for "swatting" has been doing the rounds on social media.
The hoax article was first published by National Report, a satirical website, known for publishing fake articles and later it was carried by NY Meta and Secretsofthefed.com websites.

Linky broken. 404 Error : Page Not Found

solus

MSG, your link:

404 Error : Page Not Found
We haven't been able to serve the page you asked for

You may have followed a broken link, an outdated search result, or It is possible that the page you were looking for may have been moved, updated or deleted. If you typed in a URL, please make sure you have typed it in correctly.
There are several ways you can find the information you need:

Search
This page will be redirected to ibtimes.co.in home page in 169 seconds.

ipse

Last edited:

mnrobitaille

Question concerning 18 USC §241 & Gun-Free Zones

Since someone brought up 18 USC §241:
If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

How I am reading the above is that technically those businesses which are posted as Gun-Free Zones (though not mandated by law) are in violation by oppressing a law-abiding citizen's 2nd Amemdment rights, or am I missing something?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since someone brought up 18 USC §241:
[
How I am reading the above is that technically those businesses which are posted as Gun-Free Zones (though not mandated by law) are in violation by oppressing a law-abiding citizen's 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amemdment rights, or am I missing something?

The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment is a restriction against the federal government and has been partially incorporated (my opinion) against the states, but not necessarily against individuals as owners of private property.

Businesses may not discriminate against certain protected classes, BUT 2nd Amendment/RKBA proponents are not a protected class.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

Note that a business owner is said to be able to forbid entrance to anyone wearing a red shirt on Wednesday or anyone wearing flip-flops.

As the owner or lessor of your personal home, you may normally discriminate. You can approve your invitees.

stealthyeliminator

"(Matthew) Tollis was sentenced to 12 months and one day in prison by a judge, in addition to three years of supervised release and 300 hours of community service. "

https://news.yahoo.com/man-gets-prison-swatting-020658786.html

Not directly related to OC but a warning to others (MDA) who might thing this is proper to do.

"US Attorney Deirdre Daly released a statement regarding Tollis’ sentence: "Swatting is not a schoolboy prank, it’s a federal crime. It is our hope that this prosecution and the knowledge that this defendant will serve time in prison and live with a felony conviction for the remainder of his life will deter others from engaging in this immature, dangerous and criminal behavior."

quote:
Matthew Tollis a 22-year-old arrested last year in September is getting prison time for his involvement in six swatting incidents in 2014, according to the Department of Justice. Tollis, as a member of a group called “Team Crucifix or Die,” faked a bomb threat to the University of Connecticut, which he pled guilty to this summer. As a member he reportedly "identified potential institutions...for TCOD members to make the threatening calls, and gathered telephone numbers and other information about the targeted institutions." Tollis was also involved in threats to three high schools, two in New Jersey and one in Texas, as well as threats directed at Boston University and the Boston Convention Center. unquote

this affects JQPublic who is toddling about their community while OC'g... how?

this savant pushed the buttons of educational institutions and not generating MWAG call against a LAC carrying their firearm. there is no federal crime when MDA or other mischief maker does it in their local community and i am reasonably and comfortably sure the ONLY reason the feds got involved at all was cuz it went across state lines, uh, NJ, TX, MA, CT...

ipse

Did you even read OP? Pretty obvious what the OP proposes as relevancy. Whether or not it passes, doesn't matter, the question you asked is clearly answered in OP. I think you're probably just trying to be a jerk.

OC for ME

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/swatted.asp

Of course the story is false. Yet this does not change the fact that Matthew Tollis got off easy...slap on the wrist easy. If you wish to address my point, please do so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/09/gaming-swatting-prank/23125547/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/arrested-swatter-faces-maximum-five-year-prison-se/1100-6425220/

Of course, the "collateral damage" may be nothing more than a civil matter to some folks. I mean, nobody got hurt...did they. Just a waste of LE resources...nothing more.

solus

Did you even read OP? Pretty obvious what the OP proposes as relevancy. Whether or not it passes, doesn't matter, the question you asked is clearly answered in OP. I think you're probably just trying to be a jerk.

let me quantify and clarify a point in the OP's quote in his last paragraph...

quote:

from your perspective the op pointed to this headline as a warning to MDA'ers who might wish to advocate swatting someone OC/CC/LGOC ~ for the texas citizens/ etc.

please tell me stealth, why would or when would or would any US Attorney's office be concerned with or ever been involved with or give a rat's behind about a local community's swatting activity against some LOCAL OC/CC/LGOC/vid gaming activities? i'll wait your response.

the point i was making to other, not so quick readers, who might be taken in with the shock and awe of the headline was the OP's presumed obvious conclusion as a warning to MDA was meaningless and worthless cuz the gent who got caught, tried, sentenced, and so forth, violated across state lines, threatened schools, and so forth...which makes this particular fool's activities a FEDERAL OFFENSE.

JQPublic in your local community, at the wally world, who has MWAG instigated against them could be violating local community or state statutes NOT FEDERAL code.

and i am so disappointed you have fallen back into your olde ways of name calling...

ipse

solus

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/swatted.asp
Of course the story is false. Yet this does not change the fact that Matthew Tollis got off easy...slap on the wrist easy. If you wish to address my point, please do so.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/09/gaming-swatting-prank/23125547/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/arrested-swatter-faces-maximum-five-year-prison-se/1100-6425220/
Of course, the "collateral damage" may be nothing more than a civil matter to some folks. I mean, nobody got hurt...did they. Just a waste of LE resources...nothing more.

my scarce community tax dollars...

not counting the federal monies spent investigating, catching, trying, sentencing, keeping oversight on this fool while he serves his sentence..

hundreds of thousands $$$$$$ wasted...that's all...

ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

my scarce community tax dollars...

not counting the federal monies spent investigating, catching, trying, sentencing, keeping oversight on this fool while he serves his sentence..

hundreds of thousands $$$$$$ wasted...that's all...

ipse
If it were my house that got swatted, and my 10 y/o that almost got shot...by a cop, I would hope that the state would seek a more severe punishment than what Matthew Tollis got from the feds.

Matthew Tollis got off easy...slap on the wrist easy.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Flip The Coin To See The Other Side

Can't blame it all on the Tollis's of the world. The other side of the SWATTING coin are the SWAT teams.

Radley Balko has been following them for years. Eight years or so ago, he sounded the siren with a white paper: Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America.

http://www.cato.org/publications/white-paper/overkill-rise-paramilitary-police-raids-america Just scroll down the page to the pdf link where you can download it.

I can't help but wonder if Balko felt a bit vindicated by the house-to-house searches and related abuses outside Boston after the marathon bombings. It was shortly after those searches that national media finally started questioning what SWAT had become. Balko had been trying to warn Americans about it for years.

John Whitehead, while not speaking directly about SWAT, has collected a number of recent SWAT incidents in this article:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/10/john-w-whitehead/prepare-children-for-life-in-the-police-state/

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

let me quantify and clarify a point in the OP's quote in his last paragraph...

quote:

from your perspective the op pointed to this headline as a warning to MDA'ers who might wish to advocate swatting someone OC/CC/LGOC ~ for the texas citizens/ etc.

please tell me stealth, why would or when would or would any US Attorney's office be concerned with or ever been involved with or give a rat's behind about a local community's swatting activity against some LOCAL OC/CC/LGOC/vid gaming activities? i'll wait your response.

the point i was making to other, not so quick readers, who might be taken in with the shock and awe of the headline was the OP's presumed obvious conclusion as a warning to MDA was meaningless and worthless cuz the gent who got caught, tried, sentenced, and so forth, violated across state lines, threatened schools, and so forth...which makes this particular fool's activities a FEDERAL OFFENSE.

JQPublic in your local community, at the wally world, who has MWAG instigated against them could be violating local community or state statutes NOT FEDERAL code.

and i am so disappointed you have fallen back into your olde ways of name calling...

ipse

Firstly, I didn't call you a name. Secondly, I simply believed your asking of the question already answered to be non-productive and intentionally condescending. In other words, the only purpose it served was to be a jerk. I made it clear I wasn't defending the correctness of the OP. In fact, I believe you are probably correct. I just think it's a shame you couldn't have simply been correct and not a jerk in addition.

I too seriously doubt that any federal prosecutor would be the least bit interested in prosecuting an MDA member for making a questionable 911 call regarding a MWAG, even in light of this case... I suppose that's a shame, too. As others have pointed out, it certainly is an offense on some level, whether on a legal level or not.

PistolPackingMomma

Can't blame it all on the Tollis's of the world. The other side of the SWATTING coin are the SWAT teams.

Radley Balko has been following them for years. Eight years or so ago, he sounded the siren with a white paper: Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America.

http://www.cato.org/publications/white-paper/overkill-rise-paramilitary-police-raids-america Just scroll down the page to the pdf link where you can download it.

I can't help but wonder if Balko felt a bit vindicated by the house-to-house searches and related abuses outside Boston after the marathon bombings. It was shortly after those searches that national media finally started questioning what SWAT had become. Balko had been trying to warn Americans about it for years.

John Whitehead, while not speaking directly about SWAT, has collected a number of recent SWAT incidents in this article:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/10/john-w-whitehead/prepare-children-for-life-in-the-police-state/

Tsk tsk, Citizen, being logical and fair... people only want a single figurehead to either rally behind or crucify.