• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marching Morons Local woman plans gun protest. Charleston, SC Posted & Currying

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jan/06/local_woman_plans_gun_protest26794/

By Nadine Parks (Contact) The Post and Courier Sunday, January 6, 2008

Event aims to close loopholes in buying of firearms

Sallie Duell picked up the morning newspaper in November and read that North Charleston had been named the 7th-most- dangerous city in the nation. That's when she knew she had to do something.

Duell, of Charleston, is organizing a brief protest for tougher gun laws Tuesday morning outside City Hall at Meeting and Broad streets downtown. It's part of a movement called Protest Easy Guns — concerned citizens who, like Duell, are searching for a solution to a growing trend of violence.

At 11 a.m., Duell and 31 of her friends and acquaintances will lie down on the sidewalk for three minutes in front of the city building. The number of people represents the 32 victims shot to death last year at Virginia Tech. The three minutes represents the estimated amount of time it took the gunman in the college shooting to purchase his guns.

Duell's friend, Abigail Spangler, started the movement in her hometown of Alexandria, Va. Now Spangler has a Web site, and the three-minute protests are being held all over the country.

Duell isn't opposed to gun ownership. She grew up around hunters and their guns. What she wants are laws that make it illegal for criminals and the mentally ill to buy guns.

State laws already prevent felons and people with documented cases of mental illness from buying a gun in a gun shop, but anyone can purchase a gun from an individual.

"This is not about taking guns away from hunters. It's not about taking guns away from people who are protecting themselves," Duell said. "It's about opening a dialogue about how we can close those loopholes that allow criminals and the mentally unstable to have access to guns."

Tuesday is the opening day of the legislative session in South Carolina. Another protest will be held Jan. 29 in Columbia.

On April 16, the one-year anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, the movement plans identical protests around the country.

"So we'll have another one here," Duell said.

Reach Nadine Parks at nparks@postandcourier.com or 937-5573.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

GRGRSC is organizing a counter-demonstration on scfirearms@yahoogroups.com at both identified SC sites, Charleston and Columbia. Their membership is heavily in the Upstate so I'm sure Tom Glaab will need help in Charleston.

I hope that you will join both.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Hef

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
GRGRSC is organizing a counter-demonstration on scfirearms@yahoogroups.com at both identified SC sites, Charleston and Columbia. Their membership is heavily in the Upstate so I'm sure Tom Glaab will need help in Charleston.

I hope that you will join both.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
There's no way I can get out of work, or I'd be there. I'll have to settle for letter writing and sending money.

Hef

imported post

I'm 2 typewritten pages into a pro-gun article I'm writing that uses numerous statistical citations from the FBI and CDC to discredit the anti-gunners, as well as some very damning quotes. Hopefully I can finish it and submit it to the Charleston newspaper and/or the Island Packet here in Bluffton in the next few days, and possibly get it published.

Since I can't counterprotest, I'd like to make some other meaningful contribution. I'll post my article here in a seperate thread, whether it gets published or not.

g2ops

imported post

Why not just surround them with yellow crime scene tape and signs that say "No Crime Allowed", because then they would be totally safe. Then they could expand the cordon to the entire city, and we could do away with the entire police department.

Or we could just enforce the "No Littering" laws and shovel them away to the dump.

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

I am a very pro-gun person, but I think some laws should be in place to prevent criminals from getting there hands on them. I think the biggest reason that criminals can get guns so easily is secondary, undocumented sales. Most criminals do buy there guns from people behind closed doors or on back alleys, but the gun had to come from somewhere honorable first as all guns start out. If people had to document the sales of guns then we could track down and find undocumented sales easier.

For example:

Person A buys an gun from Walmart. Person A sells the gun he bought from Walmart to Person B which is a close family member. Person B sells it to Person C who a close friend. Person C sells it to Person D who is a coworker. Person D sells it to Person E who is a thug! Person E files off the serial and bam, you have a criminal with heat.

If people had to go to gun stores and transfer guns there, documented, and background checked, we could have a gun control measure that actually works for the law-abiding citizens. I would not have a problem transferring my gun at a dealer where the dealer ran checks on the buyer for me.

This way if we catch a felon with a gun we simply find who sold it to him under the table, and he goes to the grey bar hotel too. I think that is the only gun control measure that would actually work to reduce crime and help us out.

Don't tell the criminal they can't own a gun, turn off the criminal's supply store without turning off the law-abiding citizen's supply store.

Okay, with that said let the hazing on me for gun control start; I'm ready.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

If a felon is properly disbarred his 2A Right under color of law then we may all be properly disbarred our Rights merely by lowering the bar of felony.

For instance, in SC the condition of 'felony' is a matter of punishment and not of the crime; equal to more than a year and a day of incarceration. Hypothetically you could be convicted of jaywalking with aggravating circumstances, be sentenced to a year and a day suspended and voila, you're a felon. Turn in your guns.

Which part of "shall not be infringed" is not understood?

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

Enlight of your reply let me retract one word, Felon.

In it's place let me insert, "violent criminal with proven intent to harm others via his/her past history".

Now do you agree with my thinking behind my previous post?

All I am saying is makeit harder fora violent criminal can't get a gun, not a law abiding citizen by just making sure background checks are run on someone everytime they buy a gun.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

If a citizen is properly disbarred his 2A Right under color of law then we may all be properly disbarred our Rights merely by lowering the bar of felony.

For instance, in SC the condition of 'felony' is a matter of punishment and not of the crime; equal to more than a year and a day of incarceration. Hypothetically you could be convicted of jaywalking with aggravating circumstances, be sentenced to a year and a day suspended and voila, you're a felon. Turn in your guns.

If a citizen has demonstrated intent to do violence by his past history and you don't want him armed then what is he doing out of prison?

jack

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

If a felon is properly disbarred his 2A Right under color of law then we may all be properly disbarred our Rights merely by lowering the bar of felony.

Exactly! Well said Mr. Huffman. I think anyone should be able to buy a gun period. Zero criminal checks, zero record keeping by gun store owners. It should be illegal to purchase firearms in anyway the creates a paper trail ! CASH & carry transactions only. In Israeli there is almost zero street crime, because everyone is armed.

The same people wanting more gun laws oppose mandatory sentencing guild lines ,and the death penalty. Where is the logic, criminals will always get guns.

DC , Chicago and New York's crime rates prove that. We need to teach people that they are responsible for their own security, including financial security.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

ETA: This in way of apology to RJ for splattering on a State Administrator's post. For that I apologize. But I will encourage rigor.

I lived in Charleston from April 1975 until January 2006 when I had to surrender my CWP for no longer being resident.

I am an eager student of Rob Butler of GRGRSC and sponsor of a Legislative Tactics Seminar. I happily damn the GOP and NRA in the same breath. I was ready to submit my CWP Instructor's lesson plan to the State for approval when I learned the disillusioning truth about the NRA/GOSC and their members.

glocknroll

imported post

revis_jonathan wrote:
I am a very pro-gun person, but I think some laws should be in place to prevent criminals from getting there hands on them. I think the biggest reason that criminals can get guns so easily is secondary, undocumented sales. Most criminals do buy there guns from people behind closed doors or on back alleys, but the gun had to come from somewhere honorable first as all guns start out. If people had to document the sales of guns then we could track down and find undocumented sales easier.

For example:

Person A buys an gun from Walmart. Person A sells the gun he bought from Walmart to Person B which is a close family member. Person B sells it to Person C who a close friend. Person C sells it to Person D who is a coworker. Person D sells it to Person E who is a thug! Person E files off the serial and bam, you have a criminal with heat.

If people had to go to gun stores and transfer guns there, documented, and background checked, we could have a gun control measure that actually works for the law-abiding citizens. I would not have a problem transferring my gun at a dealer where the dealer ran checks on the buyer for me.

This way if we catch a felon with a gun we simply find who sold it to him under the table, and he goes to the grey bar hotel too. I think that is the only gun control measure that would actually work to reduce crime and help us out.

Don't tell the criminal they can't own a gun, turn off the criminal's supply store without turning off the law-abiding citizen's supply store.

Ever heard of the word "burglary"? Don't you think some of those guns are stolen?

Have you ever considered that if you wanted to sell a firearm to a prohibited person it could be simply be reported stolen?

Ever heard the word "girlfriend"? As in, "Yo, dog, my ol' lady jus' turned 21 and ain't got no record. I jus' send that 'ho to buy my guns."

Edit: Apologies to any offended by my use of slang (damn, it seems I have been infected with political correctness. Is there a shot or something I could get?)

Hef

imported post

revis_jonathan wrote:

For example:

The majority of guns used in crime have been stolen and changed hands illegally numerous times. Forcing citizens to do transfers through FFL's would do little, if anything, to stop crimes committed with illegal firearms, though it would greatly aid government agents in confiscating weapons from law-abiding citizens should they choose to do so.

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

I doagree that probably half of the guns criminals get are stolen.

If you don't agree with my previous statementsthat is perfectly fine; I understand how everyone is concerned about getting guns registered also. This is a very tricky subject that is debated daily around the country and not one person has found the perfect answer.

But in my opinion, I believe people whoare a;convicted murderer, robber, rapist, etcshould not have a gun period; until a set time period elapses and they prove that they will not re-offend. I do believe in background checks also. I will continue to stand by my opinion until someone convinces me that a convictedbank robber, drugdealer, or murdererbuying a gun over the counter is okay, or finds another way to prevent them from getting one.

cato

imported post

Criminalize action not possession. If someone should not be trusted with or allowed to possess a firearm (say a felon) then that individual should still be incarcerated. To pass laws (gun control) prohibiting this or that and making all of us prove our innocence before allowing a sale to go through as a "reasonable" measure is to believe that some gun control works.

It doesn't work ever. I live gun control in this state and in my job I attempt to enforce gun control. We have all the laws in effect here. One pistol a month, 10 daywaiting period, all private party transfers (except C&R rifles over 50 yo) must go through a FFL -same with gun shows (10 day wait there too!), can't carry concealed (can't get licenses), can't carry open loaded in a city, new pistol sales get registered, officers may inspect all firearms to see if they are loaded, get finger printed when you buy ammo, can'tbuy an "assault" rifle, can't buy 10+ round mags,new pistols must be on State "safe handgun" list to be sold, etc, etc, etc...

It certainly hasn't stopped any of the murders, woundings, shootings andarmed robberies that I've taken paper on.There are plenty of laws on thebooks to deal with action...time to repeal all the laws dealing with purchase and possession. The criminals buy under the table and skirt the laws anyway so why burden the "free born" law abiding with them. They're all just feel good measures. Let people defend their lives and property and when a violent criminal is caught lock'em up for a long time. Those two thingswill do more than anything else in the short term to reduce crime. Long term...get Ron Paul into office for a healthy sound economy.

If you want So. Carolina to look like Los Angeles just keep agreeing with "reasonable" restrictions.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

cato wrote:
If you want So. Carolina to look like Los Angeles just keep agreeing with "reasonable" restrictions.
'Nuff said. Gun control from the right is just as evil as gun control from the left and less honest.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA kiss my fundament.

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

If someone should not be trusted with or allowed to possess a firearm (say a felon) then that individual should still be incarcerated.

So very true! That method sounds fineto me.

If the legal system would keep violent offenders behind bars where they belong and quit letting them out after 5-10 years then I do stand on your side of the court. If they would stiffen penalties for violent crimesand keep the serious offenders behind bars it would work; the trick is keeping them there.

I agree totally with your statement; I retract my idea as I have been proven that it is a bad one. I apologize to everyone forinjecting my opinion into this thread. The answer was right in front of my face, but I failed to puttwo and two together.